best cutting outfit money can buy?
RSS | Subscribe | Contact Us | Advertise | About Us

best cutting outfit money can buy?

been looking for a cutting torch outfit. plan on it being a family heirloom. lol just want the best money can buy. can a beginning welder get some help?

Re: best cutting outfit money can buy?

victor is what we used at school, i like their exchange policy as well, just trade it in if you ever break it. Hope that helps.......

Quote Originally Posted by blubyu02 View Post
    victor is what we used at school, i like their exchange policy as well, just trade it in if you ever break it. Hope that helps.......
    Not saying you're wrong, just never heard that about Victor. Smith is the only one I am aware of that has a lifetime warranty, which is only on their torches not regs.

To the OP, I don't think you can go wrong with Smith, Victor or Harris. Find out what your local supply shops have in stock so if you need a new tip you can get it easily. I prefer Smith because of the warranty and being made in the USA. They have good cust service also. And look on ebay or craigslist, alot of great deals now.
    "Where's Stick man????????" - 7A749
    "SHHHHHH!! I sent him over to snag that MIC-4 while tbone wasn't looking!" - duaneb55
    "I have bought a few of Tbone's things unlike Stick-Man who helps himself" - TozziWelding
    "Stick-man"

Someone at Fabtech had a Venturi torch that was freaking amazing just the torch was $300ish though.

Not that i need to cut through 2" steel plate... but if i needed a torch i would use that.

Smith torches are incredible, and their warranty is unmatched in the industry. I have both Smith and Victor setups. I had first hand experience with an "LC" cutting torch which belonged to my grandfather, and had a leaky acetylene valve. Sent it to Smith, and it was fixed free.

I also understand that the Victor torches are now made in China and Mexico.

For what he wrote

"best cutting outfit money can buy?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

been looking for a cutting torch outfit. plan on it being a family heirloom. lol just want the best money can buy. can a beginning welder get some help?"

My best advice to a "Beginning Welder"

1ST take a basic welding course at local trade, community college, or welding school. That will give you some hands on training & experience with cutting torches.

2ND buy a used or basic torch office first to practice with and get some experience before you lay out your money on a expensive torch outfit that you want to become a "family heirloom"
    Co-Own CNC shop:Miller :1251 plasma cutter, MaxStar 700 TIG/Stick, & XMT 456 Multiprocess Welder.& 2 Hypertherm HPR260's Plasma Cutter

Sorry I had a bad stroke but now I am back.

I thought all cutting torches operated via a venturi effect, with the oxygen drawing the fuel gas along?

But I would also like to know more about these "freaking amazing" torches at Fabtech. I was thinking about buying myself a set of the HD Victor Edges series regulators and a HD Smith torch for Xmas. I have plenty of Victor and Harris torches at work, want something different for myself.

If anybody has any other suggestions for a high quality general purpose cutting rig, I'd love to hear them.

It depends on what you like, all the name brand torches will last a lifetime. I have a Victor 315 that I use everyday, and is older than me. I also have 2 sets of Purox/Union Carbide (read ESAB nowadays) that are also older than me. I have never bought a new torch, all of mine have been pawn shop specials, or yard sale items that I have rebuilt.
    Disclaimer; "I am just an a$$hole welder, don't take it personally ."

I have always used Oxweld and Purox, seemed to be the best quality available back then. I really like the Oxweld regulators but their torches seem to big for most of what I do. I bought a brand new Purox w202 torch set which suits the work I do better. Not sure what I would buy today if buying new, but the Oxweld and Purox stuff I have will surely outlast me.
    "The reason we are here is that we are not all there"

SA 200
    Idealarc 250 AC DC
    MM200
    MM251
    30a Spoolgun
    Square Wave Tig 175
    Invertec V350 Pro
    SC-32 CS 12 Wire Feeder
    Oxweld/Purox O/A
    ArcAir
    Hypertherm Powermax 85
    LN25

I'm a Victor man myself. They've always served me very well and I enjoy that I drive by the plant where they are made in Denton Texas right up the road.
    Kevin- Springtown, Texas

Truck:
    Chevy cab/ chassis 1 ton dually, big block and flatbed
    Miller Bobcat
    Victor cutting rig
    Tool boxes crammed full of stuff

Shop:
    Millermatic 250
    Lincoln 135
    Lincoln 225AC tombstone

Ok, "the best cutting outfit money can buy". This would be my setup.

This would be my oxy reg - a Smith # 40-175-540S Heavy Duty Series 40 Oxygen Regulator w/Gauge Protector, CGA 540 Inlet Connection, 0-175 PSIG Outlet.
    Name:  000444.jpg
Views: 1850
Size:  16.8 KB

This would be my acet reg - a Smith # 40-15-510S Heavy Duty Series 40 Acetylene Regulator w/Gauge Protector, CGA 510 Inlet Connection, 0-15 PSIG Outlet.
    Name:  000222.jpg
Views: 1849
Size:  16.9 KB

But since I prefer propane, this would be my propane reg - a Smith # 40-50-510 Heavy Duty Series 40 Propane, Propylene or Natural Gas Regulator, CGA 510 Inlet Connection, 0-50 PSIG Outlet, and I would add the "Hard Hat" guage protector model # HB190.
    Name:  000111.jpg
Views: 1850
Size:  43.2 KB

And this would be my cutting torch - a Smith # SC929 Gas Axe™ Extra Heavy Duty Cutting Torch, 90° Head - 21" Torch Length (533mm), Cuts Up To 24" (610mm) with Acetylene / 20" (508mm) with Propane
    Name:  000333.jpg
Views: 1849
Size:  12.6 KB

Also, I would have the following;
    - Smith flashback arrestors on the regs
    - Koike quick disconnects on regs, torch and all hoses except whip connection to first 50', 1/4" hose.
    - a 12' or 15' whip hose (which is the first hose connected to torch because that will be the first to get a burn hole in it and it is easy to replace.)
    - The whip hose will be hard coupled to a 50', 1/4" dia hose. Quick couplers at extreme ends.
    - Extra hoses (as needed) in 50' lengths and 5/16" or 3/8" dia with quick couplers.
    -Smith SC50 series propane tips #'s 0,1,2 & 3. (x2 ea.)
    - "T" size oxy cylinders
    - 100lb propane cylinder
    - Tip drill
    - Tip cleaner
    - Tip Resurfacing Tool
    - Triple flint strikers
    - #5 shade safety glasses
    - #5 shade face shield
    - 9 way cylinder wrench (x2)

And that should get you on the "cool" list!
    "Where's Stick man????????" - 7A749
    "SHHHHHH!! I sent him over to snag that MIC-4 while tbone wasn't looking!" - duaneb55
    "I have bought a few of Tbone's things unlike Stick-Man who helps himself" - TozziWelding
    "Stick-man"

Stick with American made brands. My first torches were a couple used Harris and Oxweld pieces. I would consider them "heirloom" torches because I got them from an old man who got them from his father years before, who knows how old they are, but they still work great. Bottom line...stay away from China made torches and you should be fine.
    Looking for an Oxweld CW-400!

IAMAW Local 330
    Airco 300 AC/DC Heliwelder
    Airco Dip-Pak 200 with Profax spool gun
    Airco MiniArc 130
    Speedglas 9100xx
    Oxweld, Purox, Victor torches
    Lincoln Ranger 8 (For Sale)

Quote Originally Posted by wnywelder View Post
    Stick with American made brands. My first torches were a couple used Harris and Oxweld pieces. I would consider them "heirloom" torches because I got them from an old man who got them from his father years before, who knows how old they are, but they still work great. Bottom line...stay away from China made torches and you should be fine.
    i definitely want american made. to stickman: great minds think alike. thanks!

PErsonally i like canadian made better lol
    Hobart mega arc 250 Airco dipstick160 air liquide cutting torches arc air gouger and so many more goodies
    If you cant dazzle them with brillants baffle them with bullsh$t

Torch i saw at Fabtech was a Victor Model V-62-5F

Quote Originally Posted by socoj2 View Post
    Someone at Fabtech had a Venturi torch that was freaking amazing just the torch was $300ish though.

Not that i need to cut through 2" steel plate... but if i needed a torch i would use that.
    Torch i saw at Fabtech was a Victor Model V-62-5F
    Socoj - I'm very curious about the "freaking amazing" demonstration at Fabtech.

I was expecting to hear about a new tip-mixing design, with high stand-off, or something like that. But a 62 series Harris? That's a design that's been around and evolving for a very long time, probably at least 70+ years, if not longer.

Anyway, please do tell about the Fabtech demo.
    New fuel or tip or something?

Good Luck

Quote Originally Posted by Ayers Garage View Post
    I'm a Victor man myself. They've always served me very well and I enjoy that I drive by the plant where they are made in Denton Texas right up the road.
    I always liked victor for the same reasons, but some of their stuff is made in china now. The last regulator I bought had a loose "made in china" tag in the package, but no markings on the regulator. If you're ashamed to label your part as to where it's made maybe you should rethink that decision.
    Ingersoll-rand did something similar on the last die grinder I bought. The 'made in china' label was glued on with non-curing glue. It rubbed off the first time I used it. The permanently affixed label has the address of their US service center proudly shown. Sneaky bastards. I think this pisses me off more than just putting 'made in china' on it. At least be honest.
    Last edited by AndyA; 11-08-2010 at 08:58 PM.

Dynasty200DX w/coolmate1
    MM210
    MM Vintage
    Lincoln AC225
    Victor O/A, Smith AW1A
    Cutmaster 81
    IR 2475N7.5FP
    Rage3
    Jancy USA101
    9" SB
    AEAD-200LE

I have a Liquid Air set (now called air Liquide) which was purchased new in 1963. I also have a slightly older Victor set. The Liquid Air set is the clear favourite.
    I'm not sure who made them for Liquid Air back then, it may have been Smith.

i have some regulators, a torch, and 2 hoses for sale in the for sale section.. airco, harris, and forney regulators, victor torch, and hoses..
    i've never used them, hoses are like new, one hose still in plastic wrapping.. regulators are older pieces, dirty from sitting under bench for about 10 yrs..

i dont need them, need the money

Quote Originally Posted by denrep View Post
    Socoj - I'm very curious about the "freaking amazing" demonstration at Fabtech.

I was expecting to hear about a new tip-mixing design, with high stand-off, or something like that. But a 62 series Harris? That's a design that's been around and evolving for a very long time, probably at least 70+ years, if not longer.

Anyway, please do tell about the Fabtech demo.
    New fuel or tip or something?

Good Luck
    Dunno for some reason in the 5 lbs of **** i collected i didnt manage to pull a flyer on the damn torch. Just a card from the guy i talked to. From the website that was the one that looked the closest. *shrug* maybe its not actually out yet. Sorry im failing you guys =

Dunno for some reason in the 5 lbs of **** i collected i didnt manage to pull a flyer on the damn torch. Just a card from the guy i talked to. From the website that was the one that looked the closest. *shrug* maybe its not actually out yet. Sorry im failing you guys =
    Yeah I know how that goes, sometimes a trade show is back around before I have a chance to unpack last year's stuff.

What kind of demonstration did the torch's rep put on?
    Was the torch design such that it was held a couple inches from the work while cutting?
    I read a little blurb about such a new tip/mixer design, that's why I'm wondering.

Good Luck
    Last edited by denrep; 11-09-2010 at 08:49 AM.