How to prep new sheet metal for paint?
RSS | Subscribe | Contact Us | Advertise | About Us

How to prep new sheet metal for paint?

alright sorry if i put this in the wrong place I have searched the site and didn't really come up with an answer to this. I have some new sheet metal that needs paint I plan on using the equipment paint by either by Rodda or Miller I have used both in the past but it was always been on something that was being repainted which i used a rust preventer/fixer. Which means the paint had something to bite into never had a problem with the paint sticking. But with this being new metal what do I do or am I putting to much thought into it? It doesn't need to be a supper high gloss paint job just want to prevent rust.

Thanks for all the help in advance

J

Re: How to prep new sheet metal for paint?

Here's a list:

Remove any mill-scale and existing rust
    Put on gloves
    Clean the metal with a non-residue solvent in order to remove any oils, grease, etc...
    Don't touch the metal with your bare skin after it is cleaned, always wear gloves
    If the metal is polished anywhere, use a 120grit sheet to rough it up so the paint has something to bite into
    Clean the metal again with solvent just before priming
    Prime the metal with a good high quality basecote primer (rust inhibiting primer would be a good idea)
    Paint over the primer

--Wintermute
    "No man's knowledge here can go beyond his experience." - John Locke
    www.improvised-engineering.com
    Manufacturer Agnostic:
    Blood----------Sweat---------Tears
    ----|------------------|----------------|----
    Lincoln Red, Miller Blue, Esab Yellow

Re: How to prep new sheet metal for paint?

Quote Originally Posted by wintermute View Post
    Here's a list:

Remove any mill-scale and existing rust
    Put on gloves
    Clean the metal with a non-residue solvent in order to remove any oils, grease, etc...
    Don't touch the metal with your bare skin after it is cleaned, always wear gloves
    If the metal is polished anywhere, use a 120grit sheet to rough it up so the paint has something to bite into
    Clean the metal again with solvent just before priming
    Prime the metal with a good high quality basecote primer (rust inhibiting primer would be a good idea)
    Paint over the primer

--Wintermute

Good plan! But I would already be wearing gloves to start - leather ones.

Once the mill scale is gone I prep the surface with sand paper. Depending on what sort of item it is and what sort of finish I want to get I might sand in steps from about 220 grit up to 600 grit. I wipe the dust off thoroughly with soft cloth then I change to disposable nitrile gloves and wipe the surface with alcohol. I like isopropyl (rubbing alcohol) because it evaporates very fast and leaves no residue. If there is any residue left I know my wiping rag isn't clean and I do it again with a clean rag.

Now mask what needs to be masked, and protect the surrounding area from overspray. Prime then paint according to the coating manufacturer's instructions. Some paints require that you apply a chemical etch first. Read the label or literature that came with the selected paint and do what it says. The more expensive the paint the more critical it is to follow the written instructions. No cheating or you will be dissappointed.

The hardest part is selecting a good location. If spraying you will need a dust and draft free environment that is well ventilated and has no machinery that could create sparks like a fan motor. It is all a contradiction in terms. Just keep your wits about you and maintain a balance of conditions and wear a mask. If you are just doing a quick job out int he driveway with a rattle can at least put on one of those paper dust masks to keep particulates from overspray out of your nose. There is litte that is more offensive than to be found pulling blue boogers out of your nose during happy hour.

Much of my painting is done outdoors on the lawn to the west of the garage with Rustoleum rattle cans . I try to pick nice warm days with clear blue sky, bright sunshine, and little breeze. I start by first painting whichever side is upwind then keep moving around as the breeze changes direction.

I'd like someday to have a real booth with an explosion-proof exhaust fan and hepa filters and infrared driers and all that fancy stuff.

- Mondo
    Member, AWS
    Lincoln ProMIG 140
    Lincoln AC Tombstone
    Craftsman Lathe 12 x 24 c1935
    Craftsman Commercial Lathe 12 x 36 c1970
    - - -
    Ask for a wrench and someone will offer you a grinder.
    I'll just keep on keepin' on.