Miller Thunderbolt 225
RSS | Subscribe | Contact Us | Advertise | About Us

Miller Thunderbolt 225

Saw this for sale for $150 on craigslist.
    The woman selling it doesn't know anything about it.
    Any idea if this is a good deal or not and what year it might be?
    Thanks.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Re: Miller Thunderbolt 225

In this area it wouldn't set long in a pawn shop at that price. I would think it would bring that or more in your area.
    Tough as nails and damn near as smart

I gave $50 awhile back for the Arc Products version that Miller built for them just to keep it from going to the scrap yard. Not a bad little AC only stick welder that has one up on the old bulletproof Lincoln buzzbox in that it's infinately adjustable.
    MM200 w/Spoolmatic 1
    Syncrowave 180SD
    Bobcat 225G Plus - LP/NG
    MUTT Suitcase Wirefeeder
    WC-1S/Spoolmatic 1
    HF-251D-1
    PakMaster 100XL
    SA-200 Blackface Code# 8638
    Star Jet 21-110

Two term limit - one in office, one in jail.

If I understand the Miller T-Bolt history,the short case ones(as in picture) came first,then the taller case T-Bolt(crank on top),then the xl(crank on front again).
    I bought a taller case T-Bolt in 1980(I think).That would make short case model at least 30 years old.
    $150 might be a little high but probably a good little ac machine.
    Miller a/c-d/c Thunderbolt XL
    Millermatic 180
    ESAB o/a
    Vintage-
    -South Bend 9in. lathe
    - South Bend 7in. shaper
    -Craftsman power hacksaw
    - FibreMetal 710

i gave 40 for the one i had that was the same as in the pic
    Last edited by turk; 11-19-2010 at 10:50 PM.
    Dynasty 200DX
    Passport plus w/ spoolmate 100
    victor 315c oxy/(act and prop)
    Miller digital elite
    milwaukee power tools

If it weld good then it's not a bad price, but anything cheaper would be better. See if she would take less.
    Stephen
    Millermatic 251
    Miller Syncrowave 200
    Miller 30A Spoolgun
    Hypertherm Powermax 30
    Etc., etc., etc.............
    Cancer Sucks!

Quote Originally Posted by jpump5 View Post
    If I understand the Miller T-Bolt history,the short case ones(as in picture) came first,then the taller case T-Bolt(crank on top),then the xl(crank on front again).
    I bought a taller case T-Bolt in 1980(I think).That would make short case model at least 30 years old.
    $150 might be a little high but probably a good little ac machine.

I hate to low ball her as she is a widow selling her dead husbands stuff but, I think given what I have read in this thread and some other places online I don't think $75 is too low to offer.

I should add that mine didn't have "usable" leads. If it comes with decent leads that adds value.
    MM200 w/Spoolmatic 1
    Syncrowave 180SD
    Bobcat 225G Plus - LP/NG
    MUTT Suitcase Wirefeeder
    WC-1S/Spoolmatic 1
    HF-251D-1
    PakMaster 100XL
    SA-200 Blackface Code# 8638
    Star Jet 21-110

Two term limit - one in office, one in jail.

Around here, the Lincoln tombstone AC only, is selling for $75 to $100 all day long. Sometimes you can even get one for $50.

In my area, 150.00 for an AC welder is high. There are usually an abundance of AC Linc's and Millers for 100.00. I would keep looking around. I spent a ton of time checking Craigslist. I bought a Craftsman 230 AC / 140 DC welder for 75.00 this summer. Worked well, but not what I really wanted. A month later, I saw one of the older AC/DC Thunderbolts (top crank) for 80.00! Someone had taken 10/5 and stranded it together to make leads. Went to my LWS and bought 45 feet of #2 and a new electrode holder. The LWS sold me really nice cable for 1.74 per foot and an OK holder for 20.00. Now I had what I wanted with nice leads. Sold the Craftsman in our local swap and sell guide and now I have a AC/DC Thunderbolt with long leads for $39.00!!! There is nothing as sweet as a smooth bead from a quality welder for cheap! Keep lookin and do a little “horse tradin!”

Well, she hasn't responded to my offer of $75 yet so I assume she is not accepting it.
    I'll keep looking.

Thanks for the advice everyone.
    Last edited by brslk; 11-21-2010 at 10:19 PM.

I found something else pretty interesting.

http://edmonton.kijiji.ca/c-buy-and-...AdIdZ245265177

At the price it seems like a worthy risk.

I am 55 years old. Believe it or not I had a welding class in 1970 and the miller welder I used look just like the one your looking at.

Quote Originally Posted by laman View Post
    I am 55 years old. Believe it or not I had a welding class in 1970 and the miller welder I used look just like the one your looking at.
    Hey! I was born in 1970! That used to make me feel young to say that...

I wish i had bought the thunder bolt but is this one OK?

I don't do lot of stick welding, Mostly MIG but I would love to improve my skills with stick.

If nothing else. I would like to own it to practice stick welding.

I started out with a Craftsman AC that was very similar to that red one. As long as it works you should be ok. Most don't care for the plug style machines, but it's not really any worse than a tapped AC machine like most Lincolns. Around here that would probably bring about $50 in that condition, working. At that price you usually can't go too wrong for a machine that will get you started. I probably wouldn't pay much more than that for that machine. If you start pushing $100 you can probably find a machine in nicer condition and for a bit more find one thats infanately adjustable or DC.

No government ever voluntarily reduces itself in size. Government programs, once launched, never disappear. Actually, a government bureau is the nearest thing to eternal life we'll ever see on this earth!

Ronald Reagan

A 225 AC Thunderbolt showed up on our local Craigslist for $450 yesterday. Am I missing something or is the seller smoking crack???

http://tucson.craigslist.org/tls/2086153913.html
    Miller Challenger 172
    Linde 235 AC Stick
    Victor 100C
    Harris O/A
    Miller Thunderbolt AC/DC 225/150
    Lincoln Weldanpower 3000LX

No, that's not my car.

Quote Originally Posted by bigb View Post
    A 225 AC Thunderbolt showed up on our local Craigslist for $450 yesterday. Am I missing something or is the seller smoking crack???

http://tucson.craigslist.org/tls/2086153913.html
    Nah, for that kind of money he's probably more into coke, heroin, maybe ecstasy.

That Forney machine looks a lot like the one we had in our farm shop when I was growing up. Except that ours was older (all the plugs were in a circle in the middle and there were two handles on top) and in much, much worse shape. My Uncle Rusty built all kinds of stuff including wagons, dump truck beds, etc with a welder just like that. It was the only one we had until 10 years ago when they bought a MIG. I'd say if it works and the price is right you couldn't go wrong.
    Applied Fabrications, LLC

Mobile Welding / Mechanical Repair in VA's Piedmont & Shenandoah Valley

So, tomorrow I go to pick up the old Forney about 40 miles from home.

And tonight I spot this

http://edmonton.kijiji.ca/c-buy-and-...AdIdZ242725027

The thing is that is is also about 40 miles from home and about 15 minutes away from the Forney!

Is it worth picking up on the way back from picking up the other one?

He said $50 would suffice and was willing to let me try it before I buy it.

I have a small mig and a cheapo 110 stick welder that is pretty useless.

But who doesn't need 4 welders?

I figure I would keep the better one and sell the other for $50... Like that will happen.... I know I'll end up keeping them both.
    Last edited by brslk; 12-01-2010 at 01:42 AM. Reason: to add stuff.

Picked up the Forney tonight after work and got it in the garage but haven't had a chance to try it out at home as it has a dryer plug on it that I'll have to change. I did try it out at the home of the person that sold it to me. Works well. 20' leads. Happy with the purchase.

I didn't get a chance to go look at the Linde but I will on Saturday.

That old Forney is pretty heavy. He helped me load it into the back of my SUV and my wife helped me unload it at home. Wife is about 130lbs but she's strong!

I have that same welder. C-3 Forney I believe. Good old 180amp AC welder from the early 60's. Do a search on this site for "old forney welder" there are a number of good threads. This is a quote from one of them:

"It's a good one. And if you insist on welding 7018 buy 7018AC. You've got a buzz box, A/C machine, and 7018 really is partial to DC.

It'll kick butt with 6011, romp in the hay with 6013, and show 7014 the kind of time it's mother always warned it about. But 7018 won't get past first base.

As a shorter'n most and dumber than just about anyone once said, "you don't go welding with what you want. You go welding with what you got."

True statement. Clean it up, no moving parts to go bad. It'll probably last another 50 years.

Quote Originally Posted by Huffarted View Post
    I have that same welder. C-3 Forney I believe. Good old 180amp AC welder from the early 60's. Do a search on this site for "old forney welder" there are a number of good threads. This is a quote from one of them:

"It's a good one. And if you insist on welding 7018 buy 7018AC. You've got a buzz box, A/C machine, and 7018 really is partial to DC.

It'll kick butt with 6011, romp in the hay with 6013, and show 7014 the kind of time it's mother always warned it about. But 7018 won't get past first base.

As a shorter'n most and dumber than just about anyone once said, "you don't go welding with what you want. You go welding with what you got."

True statement. Clean it up, no moving parts to go bad. It'll probably last another 50 years.
    Finally got it wired in tonight and tested it with a few different sticks.
    To stay with how you were putting it. it layed down the 6013 like a high school girl drunk on lemon gin on prom night.

the 6011 was all good but left me wanting more.

the 7018 was like a girl with a chastity belt but if you try long enough you can pick the lock.

I'm loving this old welder. A good $50 for the welder + $10 for the plug = $60. The best $60 I ever spent on welding equipment.

I will post some pics of my welds later this week for some much needed advice.

Bruce.
    Last edited by brslk; 12-13-2010 at 12:53 AM.
    You get what you put in and people get what they deserve...

I think the thunderbolt for 125 to 150 is a safe buy. There is not much in used welders in Pgh,Pa.