Help.
RSS | Subscribe | Contact Us | Advertise | About Us

Thread: Help.

Help.

I am a hobbyist welder and am looking for a Tig. I want to learn the skill and will do mostly motor-sports type welding (when I get good enough) usually no more then 1/4 to 3/8 thickness both steel and aluminum. My question is what size machine will fit my needs and if I had to do 1/2 inch what size would handle that in multiple passes? I am looking at 200, 225 and 250 Amp inverter type single phase 220 welders.
    Thanks
    Ray Mc

Re: Help.

If you want to do 3/8" alum you'll need at least a 250amp class AC/DC tig. If you want a decent inverter in this range get your wallet out. A Dynasty 350 new will set you back at least $9K and a Syncrowave 250 new will set you back almost $6K when you add in torch, cooler, cyl etc.. Even used expect to spend between $3K-6K. These are NOT "hobby class" machines. They are serious industrial machines.

If you back it down to say 3/16"-1/4" alum you can do it with a 200 amp class AC/DC tig instead. A Sync 200 or TA 185 with the air cooled torch will set you back about a bit over $2K new, and the Dynasty 200 will set you back about $4K. If you do much heavy alum you'll want to spend the extra bucks for the water cooled torch and cooler so add in maybe another $700-1000 or so. These are more on line with what the serious hobbyist would usually need.

No government ever voluntarily reduces itself in size. Government programs, once launched, never disappear. Actually, a government bureau is the nearest thing to eternal life we'll ever see on this earth!

Ronald Reagan

Re: Help.

I don't know what area you are in. In my area there are allot of slightly older machines such as the dialarc HF and 330 a/bp that are going cheap just keep an eye on Craiglist and you might just get lucky

Hope this helps

Ryan