ln-25 or other suitcase welder?
RSS | Subscribe | Contact Us | Advertise | About Us
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

ln-25 or other suitcase welder?

I have been looking at getting a suitcase welder for my sa 200 collection and am wondering those who have this combo and sa 200 with other suitcase feeders like and dislike about them what I can expect and what I will be able to feed them and not have trouble? I will get one with gas valve and it will only be cc. Thank's in advance.
    1980 sa 200 copper shunts-sold
    19?? sa 200 red face-sold
    1978 sae 400 2-71 detroit!-for sale

Re: ln-25 or other suitcase welder?

You will have to get a voltage sensing feeder to run on a CC machine like the SA200's. Note that VS feeders don't run at all well on CC in shortarc. They just can't adjust the feed fast enough to minic CV on small wire in shortarc. If you run large wire like .045 FC or larger in spray, they do a decent job flat and horizontal fillet, but Vert and overhead is a PITA in spray. For some jobs these feeders are great, but don't expect the same results as you would get from a machine thats CV capable.

No government ever voluntarily reduces itself in size. Government programs, once launched, never disappear. Actually, a government bureau is the nearest thing to eternal life we'll ever see on this earth!

Ronald Reagan

I have an LN-25(CC) hooked up to one of my lincoln SA-200's. It runs ok, but as DSW said its not ideal. You will really have no low voltage settings. The other set up is an LN-25(CV) runs off a ranger 8 and it runs like a dream. Both my LN-25s have a CC/CV setting. Thats the best advice I can really give ya.
    You have to learn the rules of the game. And then you have to play better than anyone else.
    Albert Einstein

honestly running a wire feeder on CV is a waste of time and money. Tried it for many years wish i wold have given in sooner and set fire to the CC welding rigs.

IF your dead set on trying it forget about running a solid core mig wire. you can get away with NR-211 if your welding under 1/2" thick material
    Vantage 500's LN-25's, VI-400's, cobramatics, Powcon inverters, XMT's, 250 Ton pacific 12' press brake, 1/4" 10' Atlantic shear,Koikie plasma table W/ esab plasmas.
    Lincoln idealarc tig 330A with bernard cooler Sync350LX. Miller migs, marvel saws

I think you may have mistyped that 1st sentance Dualie. I think you meant CC not CV.

No government ever voluntarily reduces itself in size. Government programs, once launched, never disappear. Actually, a government bureau is the nearest thing to eternal life we'll ever see on this earth!

Ronald Reagan

Figuring the picking points of jelly donuts.

I must have the advantage over you youngens, (just talking construction here) I remember when the LN-22s came out, and all we had were CC engine drives. You'd be amazed at what has been built with that combo! I run an LN-25 on my SA-200s all the time, as mentioned, forget about Mig! I do understand there are some Dual Shield wires that can run on CC, but I haven't done it. I come from an Innershield world. NR-211, NR-212, and 21-B work great on CC, but no doubt about it CV is the ticket!
    Dynasty 300
    V350-Pro w/pulse
    LF-72
    SG Spool gun

LN-25
    1937 IdealArc-300
    PowerArc 200
    PowerArc 300
    3 SA-200s
    1800 Ellis saw
    Powermax 1250, CNC table

Thank's guy's that is the honest opinion's I was looking for . Did that add on box that you sometimes see on sa 250 and alot of old sae 400 make a diffrence for short circut? are they something you can add wihout cracking into the gen? Are they even worth it? I have no particular need for a wire feeder at this time I thought it would be nice to get a desent used one get handy and if the need ever arose I would be ready for it.

I did mis type that first sentence. sorry its a waste of time trying to run on CC
    Vantage 500's LN-25's, VI-400's, cobramatics, Powcon inverters, XMT's, 250 Ton pacific 12' press brake, 1/4" 10' Atlantic shear,Koikie plasma table W/ esab plasmas.
    Lincoln idealarc tig 330A with bernard cooler Sync350LX. Miller migs, marvel saws

Hey Dualie I know what you ment , I am wondering is it any better with a cv adapter? can you weld low 18-20 volt short circut?

I Have a SAE 400 with a CV adapter it lays down self shielded wires well. not as good as a TRUE CV machine but decent.

Don't know how it would fair with solid core wire.

I bought a cv adapter yesterday, I purchased it used incase I dont like it I am going to give it a go and see . If I dont it would not be much of a lose. I will be buying a sae 400 before too long and if I dont like it on the sa200 I can keep it and throw it on an sae 400 and try that. Thank's to everybody that submitted . How about ln-25 vs. 12vs extrene is the extreme vs only or does it have a switch to put it on a cv adapter?

Quote Originally Posted by b1det View Post
    How about ln-25 vs. 12vs extrene is the extreme vs only or does it have a switch to put it on a cv adapter?
    Not sure I understand exactly what you are asking about the 12VS. The 12VS is a voltage sensing feeder. It has a switch that lets you set the feeder for CC or CV, and a contactor so the gun isn't always hot for those engine drives that lack a contactor built in. It's different than the 12 RC which is strictly a CV feeder thats designed to interface with the engine drive or powersource via a 14 pin remote cable. For all practical purposes the 12RC is just a standard mig feeder in a hard case thats portable. With the 12 RC you can control the voltage at the feeder as well as the wire speed. With the 12VS you set the voltage at the powersource/engine drive on CV.

Ronald Reagan

With the cv module I bought for the machine will I want a voltage sensing feeder or a machine that is like a standard feeder there is a connector on the module for the 14 pin I am. Not sure if it is 14 pin or not because I haven't received the module yet. Or do I still want a vs feeder?

I'm not personally familiar with lincolns kit so I can't say on that. I know the 12VS will work because it's a voltage sensing feeder. The 12RC probably would not in this case, because I'm willing to bet the cable and connector wouldn't match Miller to Lincoln without doing some rewiring at a minimum. Hopefully someone who's used the module and more familiar with it can tell you how it works and if a standard feeder runs from it or if all you get is CV power and still need a VS feeder like you would with say a Miller Bobcat.

Ronald Reagan

Thank you I will hopefully get some feedback from someone with one of these modules do you like the miller feeder.

The Miller Suitcase-RC feeders run on 24vac. I am not certain, but I think Lincoln's remote control feeders work on 42vac, so I would not plan on running a Suitcase-RC from a Lincoln without some kind of Lincoln to Miller adapter kit. This is assuming the SAE 400 is remote-capable, which I'm not certain of either, since I'm not all that familiar with Lincoln's larger engine drives. If you want to run a Miller feeder from a Lincoln, the only safe bet is a Suitcase-VS.
    MM350P/Python/Q300
    MM175/Q300
    DialarcHF

HTP MIG200
    PowCon300SM

Hypertherm380
    ThermalArc185
    Purox oa
    F350CrewCab4x4
    LoadNGo utilitybed
    Bobcat250
    XMT304/Optima/Spoolmatic
    Suitcase12RC/Q300
    Suitcase8RC/Q400
    Passport/Q300

Smith op

I ran a sa 200 with a ln 25 on cc in both hard wire and fluxcore. the hard wire was 045 and it wasn't ideal. the fluxcore was 1/16 on the smallest and then up from there. I did run on a sa 200 eqipped with a cv adapter and it was much better, but not as good as our multiprocess units. I owned and ran lincoln 250 cv/cc and it welded like a dream until it burned up on me. after that I welded for a couple of guys that ran miller trailblazers and such. I used a 12vs and it was a dream. it had a long reach 12 inch fluxcore gun on it and you could reach in small places with it and weld out. I loved it.

I've got an older Miller VS suitcase feeder, but have used a friends 8VS and 8RC (smaller versions of the 12's) a couple of times. I've been happy with how all of them ran.

Ronald Reagan

Figuring the picking points of jelly donuts.

I don't have the words to explain my self, but over the years I've tried to cross Miller and Lincoln equipment and let me tell you it is a chore! Lincoln does something, don't know what it is but it always seems as Lincoln equipment works best with Lincoln equipment, and even their consumables.
    I think you'd be better off in the long run going with an LN-25!
    Dynasty 300
    V350-Pro w/pulse
    LF-72
    SG Spool gun

LN-25
    1937 IdealArc-300
    PowerArc 200
    PowerArc 300
    3 SA-200s
    1800 Ellis saw
    Powermax 1250, CNC table

I think the 12vs is the way to go.

I have a inquiery out on one of each on cl but they are both vs machines so I might wait until the module show up install it and contact welding supply for a demo on the diff option because I am not getting feedback from the clowns on cl. At least then I can decide for my self and see wich one is more practicale for my use . Thank's to all who have particapated in this discussion and I will keep you posted on my result's

I wouldn't depend on anyone from craig's list to be able to tell you how to use the machine or what all it can hook up to. Most of the folks selling stuff on there don't even know what they have, let alone how to use it.
    MM350P/Python/Q300
    MM175/Q300
    DialarcHF

HTP MIG200
    PowCon300SM

Hypertherm380
    ThermalArc185
    Purox oa
    F350CrewCab4x4
    LoadNGo utilitybed
    Bobcat250
    XMT304/Optima/Spoolmatic
    Suitcase12RC/Q300
    Suitcase8RC/Q400
    Passport/Q300

Smith op

Quote Originally Posted by DesertRider33 View Post
    I wouldn't depend on anyone from craig's list to be able to tell you how to use the machine or what all it can hook up to. Most of the folks selling stuff on there don't even know what they have, let alone how to use it.
    I 2nd that. Most people who have them, keep them. I buy stuff from CL all the time and some people dont know what they are selling. In a good and bad way.
    You have to learn the rules of the game. And then you have to play better than anyone else.
    Albert Einstein

Here is a prime example this morning:

richmond craigslist > for sale / wanted > tools
    please flag with care: [?]

miscategorized

prohibited

spam/overpost

best of craigslist

Avoid scams and fraud by dealing locally! Beware any deal involving Western Union, Moneygram, wire transfer, cashier check, money order, shipping, escrow, or any promise of transaction protection/certification/guarantee. More info
    Welding Settling and Oxygen Tanks - $100 (Sandston)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Date: 2010-12-06, 9:32AM EST
    Reply to: see below

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Welding Settling and Oxygen tanks, half full. Must sell today! $100 OBO will consider trades, make offer.

Phone: Mike 804-972-xxxx or Sephton 804-503-xxxx

•it's NOT ok to contact this poster with services or other commercial interests

PostingID: 2097697690

No contact info? if the poster didn't include a phone number, email, or
    other contact info, craigslist can notify them via email.

Copyright © 2010 craigslist, inc.terms of useprivacy policyfeedback forum
    Albert Einstein

LOL. I never knew there were so many different ways to spell acetylene, until I started reading Craig's List classifieds. That has to be one of the top mis-spelled words in history.
    MM350P/Python/Q300
    MM175/Q300
    DialarcHF

HTP MIG200
    PowCon300SM

Hypertherm380
    ThermalArc185
    Purox oa
    F350CrewCab4x4
    LoadNGo utilitybed
    Bobcat250
    XMT304/Optima/Spoolmatic