Messer 80T AC+ Electrodes
RSS | Subscribe | Contact Us | Advertise | About Us

Messer 80T AC+ Electrodes

I got a box of these with a used welder I just picked up. Anyone tried them? They are really nice, very smooth, a lot like 7018. The slag practically falls off and the bead almost looks like mig. According to the box they can be used with AC or DC neg, all positions. I had never heard of them and when I did a search I found everyone who has used them seems to really like them.
    Miller Challenger 172
    Linde 235 AC Stick
    Miller Thunderbolt AC/DC 225/150
    Lincoln Weldanpower 3000LX
    Miller Maxstar 150 STL
    Victor 100C
    Harris O/A
    Smith O/A

No, that's not my car.

Re: Messer 80T AC+ Electrodes

Hey BigB the guy at my lws gave me a few of those rods to try out. I thought they were great rods. I ran them on straight dc and they seemed to go down smooth and like you said the flux just fell off. I know they're 30 bucks for ten pounds.
    Miller Bobcat 250
    Westinghouse ac arc welder

Its better to be hated for who you are than liked for who your not.

A good running 7018 will remove its own slag. We've had many a saleman come and try to sell us high strength miracle rods with sayings like welds through dirt and grease, runs ac or dc, 80+ksi tensile strength, easy slag removal... and only triple the price. Well, you shouldn't be welding through dirt and grease, it only causes inclusions regardless of the rod. We only run DC so we don't need an AC rod. 7018 will achieve 80+ ksi but who cares, we're welding on steel with a strength of only 45ksi (A36). And 7018 will remove its own slag if you run it right. We humored the salesman but sent him on his way before he wasted too much of our time.

One thing I like about it is there are no storage issues like 7018. I tried some more tonight, the slag DID literally curl up and pop off by itself. I can see where you guys that weld for a living don't need a rod like this, but for us home/hobby tinkerers it is great. Plus it is a Godsend for anyone with an AC buzzbox.
    Miller Challenger 172
    Linde 235 AC Stick
    Miller Thunderbolt AC/DC 225/150
    Lincoln Weldanpower 3000LX
    Miller Maxstar 150 STL
    Victor 100C
    Harris O/A
    Smith O/A

No, that's not my car.

I like them.
    http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100000825140116 Lincoln Weldanpower Model # AC-225/DC-210/6 portable
    Harbor Freight 80 AMP Inverter DC Tig