Magnetic ground clamps
RSS | Subscribe | Contact Us | Advertise | About Us

Magnetic ground clamps

I did a search but didnt find anything on it. I was at Airgas the other day and saw some magnetic ground clamps. They seem like they would cause a ton of arc blow? Anyone use one?

Re: Magnetic ground clamps

at my lws they are not cheap.. i have had magnetic rightangle tools designed to facilitate fitup cause such bad interference with a 6010 arc that i could not get a usable tack, and have had to move them further from the arc, costing time and i said a bad word, a few times... i would much prefer to hold the clamp to the work momentarily so i can tack something to the work so i can attach the clamp than to add magnetic issues..of course on some code work you might not wanna tack anything...lol...

I have some of those right angle magnet clamps too which was why when I saw the magnetic ground clamps I thought it could be a issue. I always got arc blow with my right angle clamps as well.

I have used Magnetic ground clamps for years.

Started out with the large round magnet with the spring loaded brass pin, now use a small electromagnet that I activate with a quarter turn of the knob.

Both work equally well, but I prefer the electomagnet as it is much easier to setup, and much less succeptable to leaving arc marks if someone contacts the ground while you are welding.

I do not pipeline, but several of my associates that do, use homemade magnetic "Grasshoppers" all the time.

As for the magnetic welding fixtures, I am sure that good, high quality ones, and the use of common sense, should yield good results.... For myself, I don't use gimmicks, I was taught to fabricate the right way, and don't need a crutch to get consistent, repeatable results.
    Later,
    Jason

IMO I actually thought I had less arc blow problems here at work when I used one. I think it depends on the product type your welding and what type of steel your welding on. Higher strength steel always gave me an issue with arc blow.
    Last edited by mrSpatter; 12-10-2010 at 07:39 AM.

I use the round ones when working with tubing, when I don't care to take the time to clamp a piece of flat to the tubing for a lead, or it's impossible to clamp something to the tubing (as in the case of round tubing). I never noticed any increase in arc blow though.

Only time I experience arc blow seems to be when welding on something that has multiple intersections of different members. Complex joints or intersections. I don't work with used pipe so I've never, luckily, had the issue of magnetized steel.

If you want to experiment with magnetic "grounds", cheap ones can be found at Harbor Freight. Only word of caution is.........make sure the cable lead clamp doesn't lift the brass button off of the steel and cause an "open". Laying the ground clamp flat as possible, or supporting it so it doesn't put stress on the attachment is pretty crucial.
    "Any day above ground is a good day"

I use them. ground clamps that is. I don't use the magnetic fit up I can hold it and tack it faster than I can get it set up with the magnet. after you get it all tacked up then you can weld it. I haven't ever seen a need for the magnets other than holding the steel shavings that come from grinding.
    Last edited by Scott Young; 12-10-2010 at 10:47 AM.

I had major arc blow when usng a magnetic clamp when i was trying to get a tig tack on some pieces of steel. A few machines at work had the magentic grounds and they seemd to work just as good as a standard ground clamp.
    Ya gotta spend money to make money!

depends on if my wife is mad at me or not

i only get arc blow when the torch is right at the magnet. if you set it up so the magnet is not directly where you are tacking or welding it shouldnt be an issue. a couple inches away has been fine for me.

I saw this and thought it was a great idea and the price isn't bad either:

http://www.stronghandtools.com/pdf_c...groundings.pdf

As for the magnetic welding fixtures, I am sure that good, high quality ones, and the use of common sense, should yield good results.... For myself, I don't use gimmicks, I was taught to fabricate the right way, and don't need a crutch to get consistent, repeatable results.
    I have to agree, I've never been a fan of those fixture magnets.
    Have you guys seen the little tab holder magnet thingy? How hard is it to hold a tab to a pipe for crissakes?!

I've used mag grounds, they work great, until some doughhead kicks your ground cable while you are mid-weld. Blew it right apart when it arced..
    Buy American, or don't whine when you end up on the bread line.

Sawyer MFG makes a great magnetic ground clamp called a grasshopper it works on every size pipe from 3" to on up flat plate and even will go inside of 6" and up, strong 1 1/4 magnets that swivel and quick adjust head bolt, I have been welding pipe on the line for 22 years this is the best ground clamp I have ever seen no bungee cords or ratchet straps set it down and weld, no more bead hands yelling at the ground man.

Where can I get a Sawyer MFG grasshopper ground and about what would it cost.

J.R.Bauer

How about from Sawyer Manufacturing

http://sawyermfg.com/index.php/welding-grasshopper/

Charley
    Last edited by CharleyL; 12-28-2013 at 08:35 PM.
    Miller MM252
    Miller Bobcat 225NT
    Miller DialArc HF / DIY Cooler
    2 Victor O/A Torchsets
    Milwaukee 8" Metal Saw
    Milwaukee Dry Cut "Chop" Saw
    5 Ton Wallace Gantry
    Various Grinders, Benders, etc.

Thanks for your time and information

J.R.Bauer

I bought a 10 dollar magnetic ground clamp today at Pepboys it was a cheap Vaper one and used it on a trailer project today it worked okay it did leave some arc strikes on the metal it was grounded to but other than that it was alright. I would advice you don't use it on something that is appearance critical such as stainless or art projects also keep a nice clean area to ground to and make sure the connection is tight.
    Lincoln pro core 125
    14''chop saw
    7 inch grinder,2-4.5 inch grinders,electric die grinder.
    Half inch drill
    And alot of hand tools

I use a cheap HF one on some large pieces and it does the job. But I'm already using AC anyway because of arc blow on that work.
    Idealarc 250
    AC 225S
    Victor OA-older made in USA stuff.
    And a crap ton of other stuff.