Copper Recycling Wire Stripping..>> - Page 2
RSS | Subscribe | Contact Us | Advertise | About Us
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Re: Copper Recycling Wire Stripping..>>

Quote Originally Posted by Oldiron2 View Post
    The pieces were about 1/4" thick, about 2 1/2" wide, varying lengths with 90* bends near the ends, and all had a dull white surface except where a few had been cut; that showed clearly that they were pure copper. Turned out they were all 'silver washed' and the silver actually lowered the value!
    You could always desilver if there is a decent amount. Make sure to wear ppe.

take sulphuric acid, 100 parts, and nitrate of potash, 10 parts. Put the sulphuric acid and the nitrate of potash (saltpeter) in a vessel of stoneware or porcelain, heated on the water bath. When the silver has been removed from the copper, rinse the object several times

Quote Originally Posted by joiseystud View Post
    what about selling it to a roofer? Maybe you could get better than scrap value that way. The copper already has a patina so it should be worth nice money.
    We thought about that, but it would cost more in labor to try and save it, to reuse again, than to just scrap it all. Also we would have to find just the right buyer, not to mention the fact that the scrap prices would go down while looking for a buyer. We would not gain anything. So we are scraping it all.

You could always desilver if there is a decent amount. Make sure to wear ppe.

take sulphuric acid, 100 parts, and nitrate of potash, 10 parts. Put the sulphuric acid and the nitrate of potash (saltpeter) in a vessel of stoneware or porcelain, heated on the water bath. When the silver has been removed from the copper, rinse the object several times
    I doubt the fellow who had the scrap knew any chemistry and anyway, even with a few hundred pounds of the scrap, the chemicals would cost him more than the value of the silver. Recall that the coating was a 'wash', not a plating of sizable thickness. Probably not enough silver to justify changing the grade either, but how could he argue that point?

If I were to recover that silver, I'd use cyanide.

i was saying to remove the silver to get to bright copper, not to recover the silver.

ps sulphuric acid and saltpeter are not expensive

ps sulphuric acid and saltpeter are not expensive
    If they are purchased in small quantities in this area, they are. Around here, KNO3 can't be stocked in any significant quantity (as for fertilizer) due to safety regulations and is only available from small Lab Supply stores, which are scarce and where it's expensive. Same with the acid; it's probably available from some auto parts stores as battery acid although the regs. might get in the way here too. As stated earlier, I doubt the fellow understood anything about the subject.

Just curious; using the dimensions I gave far above for the scrap, assuming he had 300#, and supposing the silver was 0.0005 thick on each side, how much silver in grams or grains would You expect to be on the scrap? What would the value be at today's stock market price of silver? For purposes of approximation, assume it's all one large 1/4" thick sheet and ignore edges. No, I haven't calculated it so I could be wrong about the value....but I doubt that.

that copper was bus bar.we used to silver plate the copper for better conductivity on spot welders. the plating was only a few microns thick .i still have one of the plating kits out in the shop.intended to play with gold plating but never got around to it.

It makes me sick to think about it, but our government is so GD waste full, it's no wonder the tax payers are trillions$$$$ in the hole, but your kids (and mine) will pay for it......

i wonder if you could use one of these like they have at car washes with the steel tubes might be able to find an old one to try and put a motor on or just use the crank maybe make an attachment to attach to a hole hog drill or the like should be able to hit up a car wash to try it out
    350P 30A spool gun cut master 51 syncro 250 other stuff
    " take a dog off the street and make him prosper and he will not bite you sad the same cannot be said for man" i didnt use punctuation just to piss you off

i was thinking about that too!

Quote Originally Posted by umahunter View Post
    i wonder if you could use one of these like they have at car washes with the steel tubes might be able to find an old one to try and put a motor on or just use the crank maybe make an attachment to attach to a hole hog drill or the like should be able to hit up a car wash to try it out
    That looks like the top of my Grampie's old washing machine
    200amp Air Liquide MIG, Hypertherm Plasma, Harris torches, Optrel helmet, Makita angle grinders, Pre-China Delta chop saw and belt sander, Miller leathers, shop made jigs etc, North- welders backpack.

Quote Originally Posted by boatbuoy View Post
    that copper was bus bar.we used to silver plate the copper for better conductivity on spot welders. the plating was only a few microns thick .i still have one of the plating kits out in the shop.intended to play with gold plating but never got around to it.
    That plating is done to keep the bus from oxidizing which would lead to poor electrical connections. Silver coated bus is very common in electrical switchgear.

If you google home made wire stripper uk and / or homemade tools wire stripper uk, you will find a guy in england who has posted one on a forum... I will try to find tonight..

but, why re-invent the wheel.. unless it's a flat one.. hope this helps..

everyone is intitled to their own opinion,but we used silver for conductivity--not corosion resistance.silver is the most conductive metal. in resistance welders that's extremely important.

everyone is intitled to their own opinion,but we used silver for conductivity--not corosion resistance.silver is the most conductive metal. in resistance welders that's extremely important.
    I'm not disagreeing with you. I am just saying that the "bus bars" were likely from electrical switchgear and applied for corrosion resistance. Conductivity is not improved at high currents because the thin layer of silver can only conduct so much before the resistance rises due to heating and the copper takes over. At higher currents the majority flows through the copper (excellent conductor obviously).
    Happy Holidays.

I'm not disagreeing with you. I am just saying that the "bus bars" were likely from electrical switchgear and applied for corrosion resistance. Conductivity is not improved at high currents because the thin layer of silver can only conduct so much before the resistance rises due to heating and the copper takes over. At higher currents the majority flows through the copper (excellent conductor obviously).
    Happy Holidays.
    Nope, its done for conductivity at the junction. Silver is applied to keep connection temperatures lower. Clean copper to copper will still heat up more than silver to silver.

yes.switch gear may typically be 1k or 3k amps, and the current for resistance spot welding approaches 100k amps at times. that thin layer of silver at the interface reduces resistance and heat. there is no such thing as resistance rising and copper taking over.

"What's wrong with burning?"

No, there's no city ordinance that prohibits burning of copper, there's an EPA regulation and one hell of a fine for doing it.

If all you are stripping is small gauge wire the price difference really isn't worth it. You might want to do a few calculations to see how much you're actually making. Remember to calculate how much the coating weighs and how much it's going to cost to dispose of that coating.

I think if you calculated it right you would find that stripping smaller gauge wire like that isn't worth the time it takes. Especially with a knife.

yes.switch gear may typically be 1k or 3k amps, and the current for resistance spot welding approaches 100k amps at times. that thin layer of silver at the interface reduces resistance and heat. there is no such thing as resistance rising and copper taking over.
    Actually there is a such thing. It is how electricity works. The silver would be a lower impedence path so low currents would flow through that media first. Once the current went up enough to heat the silver to the point that the resistance rose (heat increases the resistance of a conductor), the resistance will get to the point where the resistance is the same as the copper and the bulk of current will flow through the copper.
    Last edited by joiseystud; 12-25-2010 at 11:20 PM. Reason: taking the high road

Actually there is a such thing. It is how electricity works. The silver would be a lower impedence path so low currents would flow through that media first. Once the current went up enough to heat the silver to the point that the resistance rose (heat increases the resistance of a conductor), the resistance will get to the point where the resistance is the same as the copper and the bulk of current will flow through the copper.
    Ok, please stop, you're making my brain hurt. If the interface is only silver on both sides, ALL of the current will pass through the silver. Oh, and if the bus bar is all copper, ALL of the current will flow through the copper. This configuration doesn't allow for current to bypass the silvered surface.

On another note, your usage of the word impedence [sic] is; well . . . Let me quote Inigo Montoya:
    "I do not that that means what you think it means."
    Last edited by rlitman; 12-26-2010 at 01:20 PM.

Actually I am using the term impedance correctly ;
    "Electrical impedance, or simply impedance, describes a measure of opposition to alternating current (AC). Electrical impedance extends the concept of resistance to AC circuits, describing not only the relative amplitudes of the voltage and current, but also the relative phases. When the circuit is driven with direct current (DC) there is no distinction between impedance and resistance; the latter can be thought of as impedance with zero phase angle".

Silver and zinc are both used to plate copper in cases where a corrosion resistance connection is required and to improve the "contact resistance (i.e. impedance). The overall circuit is still governed by the copper bus and the cross sectional area of that bus.

Good for you, you learned how to use Wikipedia! Did you get past the first sentence?
    Hooray for me, I can use Google.

I've got 540V DC battery busses at work. The terminal blocks are silver plated, the fuses have silver plated connections, the Anderson plugs have silver plated junctions, and the few cables lugged with crimped on ring terminals have those ends silver plated as well.
    I've got busbar plug-in raceway with silver plated copper lines inside, which interface with modules with silver plated fingers that make a spring loaded connection with the busway.

Even if it were an AC circuit, the properties we're discussing are purely resistive. By talking about resistance, you are clearly referencing a property in which inductance or capacitance play no role. By saying "impedence" (which I should point out now you only finally spelled correctly after copying and pasting from Wikipedia, without even crediting your source), you're inferring irrelevancies, and sounding like an ill informed snob.

Ok, I've fed the troll enough.

any chance william has signed on with a new user name ? the thinking is very similar.

Nah, there's nothing in his posts about how silver plating is a conspiracy theory to brainwash us with "new science", but that one got a seriously good laugh out of me. I'm glad I wasn't drinking something at the time, or I would have spit it all on my screen.

Quote Originally Posted by rlitman View Post
    Good for you, you learned how to use Wikipedia! Did you get past the first sentence?
    Hooray for me, I can use Google.

I've got 540V DC battery busses at work. The terminal blocks are silver plated, the fuses have silver plated connections, the Anderson plugs have silver plated junctions, and the few cables lugged with crimped on ring terminals have those ends silver plated as well.
    I've got busbar plug-in raceway with silver plated copper lines inside, which interface with modules with silver plated fingers that make a spring loaded connection with the busway.

Even if it were an AC circuit, the properties we're discussing are purely resistive. By talking about resistance, you are clearly referencing a property in which inductance or capacitance play no role. By saying "impedence" (which I should point out now you only finally spelled correctly after copying and pasting from Wikipedia, without even crediting your source), you're inferring irrelevancies, and sounding like an ill informed snob.

Ok, I've fed the troll enough.
    Way to disregard the actual point of my post by picking on the fact that I used impedence to refer to electrical switchgear which is generally AC. I am not trying to be a snob at all, but I guess I am a troll if I dont agree with you. The point of my original post was that generally Silver is used to coat electrical bus to improve corrosion resistance and "contact" resistance.

Man, I never felt so unwelcome on a forum...