Prescription lenses
RSS | Subscribe | Contact Us | Advertise | About Us

Prescription lenses

I need glasses,

This has become a real problem for me welding.

I like safety glasses that hug close to my face (because even with glasses and a face sheild the sparks still hit my eye) but this makes it impossible to wear prescription glasses underneath.

I wear contacts and that is nice untill I do some grinding and that dust seems to get in my eyes.

When I wear contacts its hard to work long days my eyes just tire me out.

I've worn the prescription inserts in safety glasses but they are terribly designed, heavy and have to be pushed up every minute (I bent the arms of the glasses with a torch to form an ear hook and that helped)
    Plus the people on site look at me funny and make fun of me because they look so dorky.

Should I just get laser surgery or is there an easier option?

I have zero problem with the cost associated with the surgery but I am just terrified of them cutting and zapping my eyes.

Any welders here get the laser surgery?

Re: Prescription lenses

Ignore the rude comments and wear the prescription safety glasses. No contacts for me after I saw what a friend went through to wear them.

I have considered eye surgery also but I have heard from some people they have problems seeing at night while driving. Bright headlights and driving in semi-darkness sounds a lot like welding.

I also would like to hear if other welders who have had eye surgery are having any issues regarding welding.
    "The reason we are here is that we are not all there"

SA 200
    Idealarc 250 AC DC
    MM200
    MM251
    30a Spoolgun
    Square Wave Tig 175
    Invertec V350 Pro
    SC-32 CS 12 Wire Feeder
    Oxweld/Purox O/A
    ArcAir
    Hypertherm Powermax 85
    LN25

No contacts for me after I saw what a friend went through to wear them
    What problems? apparently they make contacts that are available for people that need progressive lenses, anyone try them.
    I wear progressive safety glasses, they aren't too bad until you have to weld out of position then they're a real pia. I've had to take my glasses off and flip them upside down when welding overhead which thankfully I don't do much of anymore.
    Ditto on the laser vision probs.....Mike

I go thru the very same problems that you all do.A cheater lens will fit in my Harbor Freight black AD welding helmet inside the front Lens cover and not move around, then I bought the HF blue flames AD helmet and it won't fit.With contacts and grinding that real fine dust just wears your eyes out,come home and eyes are all red and bloodshot and burning and tearing,I could go on & on.Without the cheater lens I have to get upclose and personal with my welds I have thought of the laser surgery also but just don't know,I would be the one go blind for some reasons or complications.
    Maxus Pro-125 Mig
    Chicago Electric 90 amp DC flux-core
    Lincoln Electric AC 225 tombstone
    O/A torch
    M/O mini-torch
    10 acres of flatland
    15 acres of holler

I went to an eyeglass place that specializes in prescription safety glasses. They have a wide selection of frames and styles, I got some that wrap around. They do not look dorky at all, they look professional. Mine are bi focal and have made a world of difference in my welding vision. I used to use a cheater alone but this is way better. I can still use a cheater with the glasses, I am seeing my welding like never before. They were only $160.
    Miller Challenger 172
    Linde 235 AC Stick
    Miller Thunderbolt AC/DC 225/150
    Lincoln Weldanpower 3000LX
    Miller Maxstar 150 STL
    Victor 100C
    Harris O/A
    Smith O/A

No, that's not my car.

Quote Originally Posted by bigb View Post
    I went to an eyeglass place that specializes in prescription safety glasses. They have a wide selection of frames and styles, I got some that wrap around. They do not look dorky at all, they look professional. Mine are bi focal and have made a world of difference in my welding vision. I used to use a cheater alone but this is way better. I can still use a cheater with the glasses, I am seeing my welding like never before. They were only $160.
    I wish I could find a store like that.

The lenses the eye place sold me were extremely thick and heavy. And when put into the glasses they curve a bit and make ur vision a bit off.

For me seeing the welds isn't a problem it's walking around and communicating with people. If I can't see someones face it's hard to communicate as I don't know if they are talking to me or someone else or if they are mad, sad, happy, whatever.

Ask a local utility employee or a mine employee where they get theirs, that's the type of place I went to, they furnish them for all the utility workers, the city employees and the mine employees.
    Miller Challenger 172
    Linde 235 AC Stick
    Miller Thunderbolt AC/DC 225/150
    Lincoln Weldanpower 3000LX
    Miller Maxstar 150 STL
    Victor 100C
    Harris O/A
    Smith O/A

No, that's not my car.

I'm dropping off my prescription right after Christmas, and getting some heavy plastic framed eyeglasses I want them heavy enough to withstand abuse, and be easy to see when I lay them on the ground etc. Probably use a strap to keep them from slipping while welding.

My eyesight has gone to pot, and I don't care what I look like when working, and neither should you You probably ain't the cat's meow with or without glasses
    "Any day above ground is a good day"

http://www.safetyglasses1.com/

Just get a local shop to do the Rx and then order on line
    Ed Conley
    http://www.screamingbroccoli.com/
    MM252
    MM211
    Passport Plus & Spool gun
    Lincoln SP135 Plus- (Gone to a good home)
    Miller 125c Plasma 120v
    SO 2020 bender
    Beer in the fridge

I got my prescrition saftey glasses at the eye doctor when I got my regular glasses. They had a pretty good selection, and I got progressive bi focals this time. Side shields are either glued or riveted on.
    I used to go to Wal Mart and get the reading glasses for $5.00 and put the snap on shields on them ,

Excuse my mug, you can get these in any color and they are z87.1

Fit tight to the face, with plenty of wrap around and dont rattle on my hood like the big walmart side shield set ups.
    I recommend Dr. Barnes Eyemart AKA EyeMart Express - should be one close to you , seems like they are taking over the one hour glasses gig.
    Mine were still not cheap, but I got two pairs, the black ones in the pic and a pair of yellow ones for driving/welding at night frames + lenses + tint + extended warrenty was a little over 350 if i remember correctly. More than the 39.99 walmart specials, bu tin this case I think I got what I paid for.
    FYI I do have a pair of the 'aviator" style huge safety glasses with the side shields - bought for me by a company years ago that stay hung in my gouging hood (jackson round faced bucket looking thing) Seems like i ruin more hoods and glasses gouging OOP than doing anything else.
    Last edited by SRO1911; 12-28-2010 at 01:16 PM.

Like others, I need bifocals. I had several pair and hated them. Nothing was comfortable. I had to hold my face so close to my work it was dangerous.

An acquaintance suggested that I visit the local optical shop and talk to them. Boy was that an experience. The doctor checked my eyes and we talked about just what I expected from my glasses. We adjusted things like focal lengths and fields to get them exactly to my needs for shop work. We talked about all sorts of stuff related to my activities such as flying. Basically the doctor took the time to understand what it was I needed the glasses to accomplish and made several recommendations accordingly. She even told me if there was a need, she could even have another reading lens installed across the top for overhead work ( I did not take her up on that).

It took 10 days to get my prescription cut at the lab because nothing was standard. The lab kept calling back to the clinic asking if what they ordered was really what they wanted. It seems that the majority of glasses are made to a predetermined set of standards for office workers.

When I got my glasses I could not be more pleased! I can see to weld again, I can fly and read the instrument panel without leaning forward, and I can read setting in a comfortable position.

Like the OP, I like the cable ear pieces as well. They keep my glasses from sliding and being blown off in prop wash. It seems that with the exception of RayBan no one is making them anymore, however there is a conversion kit that allows the optician to cut you ear pieces down and add the cable hook to about any style frame.

I would suggest you talk to the optician. If they say they can not alter to your needs then go talk to another until you find one willing to work with you. It has been my experience that the one hour places and Wally World sell cookie cutter glasses expecting one to work for all. As someone else stated, there are shops that deal with this all the time and have the experience to fit you with what you need.
    Roger
    Old, Tired, and GRUMPY

Salesman will call, Batteries not included, Assembly is required, and FREE ADVICE IS WORTH EXACTLY WHAT YOU PAY FOR IT!

Dial Arc 250HF
    Thunderbolt 225 AC/DC

Assorted A/O torches

I have worn contacts since I was 14 and never had a problem. Since then I have been welding for over 10 years and haven't had problems. I have never had flash which I think is partially due to the UV block in the contact lenses. Had a burn dot from a spark hit my contact, removed my contact and was good again. If it wasn't for the contact, I would have to see the doc to get scraped off my eye. I also like the full view threw contacts and I find I get better depth procession. I also dont have a problem putting them on my eye, some people do.

Glasses are good but I dont like welding out of position with them and also hot days make them annoying. Also like you guys, I had problems with sparks and dust getting past the glasses and into my eyes.

As for the bi focals, My dad had one contact for far and one for close up. He didn't seem to have any problems with it, not sure exactly how they work but there were no headaches or anything.