Dogs and Welding
RSS | Subscribe | Contact Us | Advertise | About Us

Dogs and Welding

I know welding hurts our eyes which is why we need a welding helmet. But my idiot dog wants to attack my stick when I'm welding LOL. She just looks at the spark and barks at it. After a while I guess she gets bored and then just leaves.

Not really a good situation there. You need to run her off or put her up. I had a little queensland that wanted to attack the chain on a chain saw early on. Had to put a stop to that quick.

Quote Originally Posted by Sandy
    I had a little queensland that wanted to attack the chain on a chain saw early on. Had to put a stop to that quick.
    I had an aussie dog that attacked the muzzle of my .45. Once........(no I didnt shoot it, gave it away) My BIL had a Lab that hung out at jobsites and would lay on the back of the truck while you used a torch 5 ft away and wouldn't even flinch. He did however have eye problems later in his life(the dog, not BIL) Can't say if it was work related or not but they will watch the arc and we know thats not good.

Sparks and dog fur probably don't mix too well either!!
    Sure, I can fix it... I got a welder!!!

Theres a thread on aws forum...its hilarious. I will post my favorite post...
    From SWNORRIS on AWS.ORG
    My dog only understands French, but the only French I know is "venez ici", which means "come here". So, when I want my dog to "come here", I say "venez ici". But, to get him out of harm's way when I'm working, I sometimes need him to "go over there". Since I don't know how to say "go over there" in French, I have to stop what I'm doing, go over there, and say "venez ici". I've tried to talk to him about this several times, but he just ignores me and keeps on typing.
    Ive found most dogs wont mess with the welding, but there are exceptions. If you do hav ethe exception, you should get the dog away. Again most dogs this isnt a problem. There eyes are more sensitive, plus dogs are scared of fire, sparks and noise. Its like you wave a fire stick at a lion to scare him away. Well once in a while you can find a dog who is less afraid. However, I still think the dog will be alright, but like sandy said its a bad situation. Its hard to say what the dog might actually be seing or not, what could inheritantly be affecting it. Ive never personally seen a dog get flash burn, but it could happen I would think. But besides that, you dont need your loving best mate to get burned or something from a hot spark. never know where that hot spark could land...even on the eye as weld as tht might sound...its more likely than one would think.
    Just my two cents
    IF it Catches...Let it Burn

My dog only understands French, but the only French I know is "venez ici", which means "come here".
    How come all dogs all over the world bark in English?? Queensland heelers don't even have an Aussie accent.

Ever notice that?

lol
    I knew a cuban..well workin mate of my dads.
    He told me at his retirement party his dog was smarter than mine cause it understand cuban and english. he spoke to it in cuban and then in english...understood both. I said yeah well my dog understand sign language too!

Why not just teach the dog to weld? I mean, my dad taught his border collie to play baseball and to do all kinds of amazing cattle herding tricks...I have relatives that don't do a whole lot better. I bet you could get a GOOD dog to mig or stick weld...maybe tig is a bit much...but then, you just get him a helmet and let him go...

My uncle had a dog named porkchop that could read minds...he bit only the folks my uncle didn't like...which included me occasionally.
    Smithboy...
    if it ain't broke, you ain't tryin'.

I am a COCA COLA freak. I don't usually waste it either. I drink it flat, warm, day old...whatever. But here in Yuma, AZ it gets into the 120F during the summer. If you leave the windows up, you can get some soda REALLY hot. I grabbed the can and realized that even I couldn't drink it. So I woefully poured it out the window of my truck. What I didn't know is that my dog was sitting there in the shade. It was so hot that he yelped and yelped. I burned his skin accidentally with soda pop. I felt so bad, but it was too late. I would never put him near my welding on purpose.
    Lincoln Power Mig 350MP Ready Pak
    Lincoln Precision TIG 275 Ready Pak
    Lincoln WeldPak 100
    CK TIG TORCH gas diffuser and pyrex cup
    Thermal Dynamics Cutmaster 101
    A stout 15 yr old son to help!!

Yoiu should have GONE OVER THERE and said VENEZ ICI