ATV snow plow plans??
RSS | Subscribe | Contact Us | Advertise | About Us

ATV snow plow plans??

Hello, with all the snow this year im thinkig of building a snow plow for my atv, before going and figuring out from scratch if someone had some plans I can follow and change to fit my build would be great. Im going to cut an old 50 gallon water heater in half longways with a plasma cutter and us that steel for the blade, of course some reenforcing along the way and sub frame to connect it to the atv..thanxs for any plans or ideas..

Re: ATV snow plow plans??

might cost more but i'd have a piece of 10ga cut to your spec and have it rolled to your spec. otherwise you'll be dealing w/ lots of zinc smoke and possibly some thin spots in what was the bottom of the tank.you should price out all the components and see how much cheaper you can build than new.
    jmho,
    mike
    Ol' Stonebreaker
    "Experience is the name everyone gives to their mistakes"

Miller 175 mig
    Miller thunderbolt ac/dc stick
    Victor O/A setup
    Makita chop saw

Post lots of pics.

Funny, I just passed a brand new water heater on the expressway which fell off a truck. At first I saw the box, then the slightly (believe it or not) banged up heater. I was going to go back, but I would have had to back up too far. And it was the high dollar tollway or I would have flipped around. That would have been nice and shiny.
    "Where's Stick man????????" - 7A749
    "SHHHHHH!! I sent him over to snag that MIC-4 while tbone wasn't looking!" - duaneb55
    "I have bought a few of Tbone's things unlike Stick-Man who helps himself" - TozziWelding
    "Stick-man"

Quote Originally Posted by roadkillbobb View Post
    Hello, with all the snow this year im thinkig of building a snow plow for my atv, before going and figuring out from scratch if someone had some plans I can follow and change to fit my build would be great. Im going to cut an old 50 gallon water heater in half longways with a plasma cutter and us that steel for the blade, of course some reenforcing along the way and sub frame to connect it to the atv..thanxs for any plans or ideas..
    where do you live i live in greenville/ portjervis in the tri-stae ny nj pa area i have a blade with a frame it doesnt really have any way to raise or lower it that part was modifyd for another quad. that you can modify that i had it on a kawa 700 vtwin util
    Last edited by himsa169; 01-04-2011 at 10:55 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by himsa169 View Post
    where do you live i live in greenville/ portjervis in the tri-stae ny nj pa area i have a blade with a frame it doesnt really have any way to raise or lower it that part was modifyd for another quad. that you can modify that i had it on a kawa 700 vtwin util
    I live on long island nassau county, but the plow is for my property in upstate ny ostego county about 20 min from cooperstown...let me check how far away you are from me..Hmm I smell a deal on the way..LOL

what county in ny are you?

Something like this? This was built from a 60 gallon tank.

http://www.mytractorforum.com/showthread.php?t=91408

You can buy a snow plow assembly thats made for your atv for minimal cost these days. I bet it would be less headache in the long run.
    Jason
    Lincoln Idealarc 250 stick/tig
    Thermal Dynamics Cutmaster 52
    Miller Bluestar 2E
    Torchmate CNC table
    Ironworkers Local 720

Owner/Operator Devlin Metal Works
    Custom CNC Plasma Cutting and Welding

Quote Originally Posted by roadkillbobb View Post
    what county in ny are you?
    orange county

if you want i can talk to my buddy who has a weekend house right near me but he lives in queens but u would have to drive to his house

orange county

if you want i can talk to my buddy who has a weekend house right near me but he lives in queens but u would have to drive to his house
    do you have an idea what you want to part with the blade and frame?

ill pm you

Minimal cost would be over $500 including the mounting Frame, plus it's cheap *** china **** to boot. I would think anyone with a little skills could produce a better snow plow, than the cheap ones I've seen.

Too bad for $500 you dont get anything more than a manual operated plow...jockey shift style.. sure to please no one.

Check some homemade ones on you tube, there some great ones out there.. I would think a person should be able to do their own for under $100..................And with the bucks saved, I think you can put on winches and control and maybe a set of tires and chains, still having money left over...

TIme is money !! Why give someone money for an inferior product?

Before I paid $500 for the ones I've seen .. I will just sit on my atv with a snow shovel.

IF you guys are near anyone with road graders ( road plows maintainers), often the operator will give you a old blade. it makes a nice start..
    Last edited by razorfish19; 01-06-2011 at 09:19 PM.

well its snowing again..after looking at everyones ideas and offers on blades , im going to start building my own as i have most of the material already and it didnt cost much for it, ill keep posted with build pics..thankyou for all the input..

Take a quick look at post #2 in this thread. Not much but the pic gives a guy a mental pic. Take that mental picture and insert the materials you have.

http://www.hobartwelders.com/weldtal...light=ATV+plow
    "The things that will destroy America are prosperity at any price, peace at any price, safety first instead of duty first, the love of soft living and the get rich quick theory of life." -Theodore Roosevelt

I built one this fall. I didn't have any plans I just borrowed a friends complete set up and copied it. The worst part about using a water heater (which I did) was the spray foam on the inner tank I used a big cold chisel to chip most of it off and then cleaned it up with a wire cup brush. The glass liner on the inside of the tank doesn't hold paint super well (shocker). I had a total of $16.00 dollars into mine (springs and hardware) I'm not counting the scrap materials I had on hand that I used to build it nor am I counting my labor which if I did (close to 8 hours) I could have easily bought one. But I had the time and was cleaning up the shop by using scrap. If you need some dimensions or sketches of certain parts let me know I could come up with something. TB

Quote Originally Posted by Sandy View Post
    Take a quick look at post #2 in this thread. Not much but the pic gives a guy a mental pic. Take that mental picture and insert the materials you have.

http://www.hobartwelders.com/weldtal...light=ATV+plow
    thanxu..I have a few pics i downloaded..now to combine them and see what design I get with..

Quote Originally Posted by dichdoc View Post
    I built one this fall. I didn't have any plans I just borrowed a friends complete set up and copied it. The worst part about using a water heater (which I did) was the spray foam on the inner tank I used a big cold chisel to chip most of it off and then cleaned it up with a wire cup brush. The glass liner on the inside of the tank doesn't hold paint super well (shocker). I had a total of $16.00 dollars into mine (springs and hardware) I'm not counting the scrap materials I had on hand that I used to build it nor am I counting my labor which if I did (close to 8 hours) I could have easily bought one. But I had the time and was cleaning up the shop by using scrap. If you need some dimensions or sketches of certain parts let me know I could come up with something. TB
    I already have a waterheater that I was going to make a bbq out of and never got to it , so all that insulation is gone..and some of the older heavy metal water heaters just where wrapped with fiberglass insulation that comes right off..

depends how creative you want to get, I have made 2 for a riding mower and one for an ATV, all cost well under $50 each with parts scavenged around the house.
    Pay no attention to the mess in the pics, it was during our 1st snow and everything had to be throw on one side to get the wifes car in

The plow on the left is wooden...made with 2x4 pieces for strength, plywood face with a bedframe edge and a rubber edge on the bottom(not installed in the pic) it also has a tray for weight if needed. It's raised and lowered/locked in place by a repurposed dog lead clamped to the deck adjuster and then to the post on the blade.
    I know you're laughing but it's in it's 4th snow so far with no issues(it's very well sealed from the elements).It had no problems with 8" of the stuff so far.(it's made me enough from doing neighbors driveways to buy the Deere one, but hey, this works just as well and I can hang it from the rafters a lot easier.

Cost=$5 for half a can of paint.

The plow on the right was made from some rectangular box tubing and a hot water tank.
    one piece of tubing was welded to the front of the frame of the mower like so
    =={}
    another piece mounts directly in front of it with 3 heavy duty hinges connecting the two on top
    when the plow is all the way down, the two pieces of tubing are flat against each other, I figure 6"x38" flat gives a lot of surface area
    looks like =={}{}
    the water tank has a brace on the back and is then mounted to the front piece of channel
    Same lift system as the wooden one
    this one has actually done ok on snow, but without the rubber edge, I prefer the other one on the driveway. If we get anything major I'll use this one for the rough cut and follow up with the other. The tank metal has been strong enough to do some light leveling of topsoil as well.

Total cost=$10ish for the hinges.
    here's the only pic I have handy. can get some more if needed without laughter

I'll see if I can get any pics of the ATV plow from my buddy.
    Basically it's a piece of the 6" box tubing that mounts to the rear hitch on a shackle, extends all the way to the front to about 18" off the front bumper. The factory winch is used to raise and lower it and there are 2 sets of guides the tubing is cradled by to keep it straight when raising/lowering.

I will admit I swiped the idea of the wooden plow from this guy, just a few tweaks for my setup.
    [ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XaRIz-_vvDA&feature=player_embedded[/ame]

those are outstanding, no I wasnt laughing at the wooden plow, I have seen many that worked great.. the metal on looks great, do you have any pics of behind the plow of the hook up brackets?..thanxs

here is the rough breakdown, hard to tell in the pic, I'll try to get a better daylight pic.
    Ignore the red line, I was going to label it but gave up.

like I said, the box goes right to the frame, you can sorta see the hinge at the top that joins the two pieces, I have removed the "hinge pin" that came with it and it it was replaced by a pin setup for a quick release. It's off the tractor and I'm on my way in about 30 secs, pull the pins, unclip the cable and you're done.
    You can see it's in the down position with the 2 faces of the box against one another, the rigs frame will fail before this does.
    The piece thats directly against the tank is an old fire escape ladder I've been tripping over the better part of 30yrs. it worked perfectly in this case as it provides the strength to the setup, plus it allowed me to flex the tank shell a bit to take some of the curve out of it(it still took me driving a car up on it to bow it, I didn't know it was THAT sturdy.
    The cable clip is a windshield bracket off a suzuki samurai

once I get room back in the garage I'll clean everything up and paint it...but hey, supposed to snow tomorrow.
    it ain't pretty, but it was a couple hour project the night before we got some snow, wasn't sure how it was going to work, but since then it's been pushing gravel, dirt, and brush around like nobodies business.
    The only drawback is that there are no trip springs on it, but with it being used for more than snow, that's a plus.
    On the wooden one, it at first was getting hooked and I was concerned I was going to damage it, the rubber edge fixed that problem(edge was 2" of the end of the rubber mat in my truck, it was too long anyway)

hope that helps

EDIT:buddy will be taking pics of the ATV one tomorrow since he's hooked up to go now.
    Last edited by bcrewcaptain; 01-10-2011 at 09:29 PM.

LOVE THE MOVIE!! the benny hill song is awsome!!

Daye

Was going to build my own plow but after looking at several for ideas, I bought the 60" Kimpex plow for my 700 Griz. I have been extremely satisfied with it. Amazing how much snow it will push, was $500 IIRC and gets raised and lowered by the ATV winch. Best feature is the quick attach system. Haven't been able to bend or break the plow yet, this is my second season with it. Sold the snowblower, prefer the ATV/plow to a snowblower for all but the biggest snowfalls which are becoming rare around here.

As for home made plows around here guys make them from everything. Lots of them use long under mounted tubing going back to the trailer hitch to anchor the plow frame. Most guys use the ATV winch to raise and lower the blade but I've repaired a few that used power window actuators from cars to do so, they broke often but were cheap to replace.

I am glad I bought mine though, the design is strong, light and has held up very well so far. I don't think my first effort would have been as nice and the t&m would easily exceed what I paid for it.
    "The reason we are here is that we are not all there"

SA 200
    Idealarc 250 AC DC
    MM200
    MM251
    30a Spoolgun
    Square Wave Tig 175
    Invertec V350 Pro
    SC-32 CS 12 Wire Feeder
    Oxweld/Purox O/A
    ArcAir
    Hypertherm Powermax 85