What to do?
RSS | Subscribe | Contact Us | Advertise | About Us

Thread: What to do?

What to do?

I did some work for my uncle today and in exchange he gave me a HF-250-1. So I have a 180t but I want to tig but I also want a gen. So should I sell the hf and use that money to buy tig and gen or use hf and a gen?

Re: What to do?

How much could I get for it. It has never been used but is not clean. Has been sitting in his garage for years has dust and surface rust but not bad.

I just bought one with very little time on it for $500. Came with two WC-17 torches (one new), two new 25' lead/hoses, two pigtails, new regulator and a new 25' gas hose.

Have seen complete packages (unit, torch/lead, regulator, tank, peddle) go for the same to $800+.

Any accessories with it?
    MM200 w/Spoolmatic 1
    Syncrowave 180SD
    Bobcat 225G Plus - LP/NG
    MUTT Suitcase Wirefeeder
    WC-1S/Spoolmatic 1
    HF-251D-1
    PakMaster 100XL
    SA-200 Blackface Code# 8638
    Star Jet 21-110

Two term limit - one in office, one in jail.

No accesories but im sure he has them. He purchased complete unit years ago. Not Sure all of what he has now. Are you interested I could send you pics.

What did you hook yours up to and how does it weld.

I run it off my Bobcat 225G Plus and it welds nice. Would probably weld great for someone with more TIG hood time. Having no amperage control on the 225G is taking a little getting used to.

Would have been interested a couple weeks ago.
    MM200 w/Spoolmatic 1
    Syncrowave 180SD
    Bobcat 225G Plus - LP/NG
    MUTT Suitcase Wirefeeder
    WC-1S/Spoolmatic 1
    HF-251D-1
    PakMaster 100XL
    SA-200 Blackface Code# 8638
    Star Jet 21-110

Two term limit - one in office, one in jail.

Quote Originally Posted by duaneb55 View Post
    I run it off my Bobcat 225G Plus and it welds nice. Would probably weld great for someone with more TIG hood time. Having no amperage control on the 225G is taking a little getting used to.

Would have been interested a couple weeks ago.
    Duane, you have an HF 251 D1 box, his is the older HF 250-1 which uses a separate 5 pin connector cord & requires a 5 pin connection pedal. I have picked these up for next to nothing when I was buying & selling full time.

jag8243, This model of HF unit is a tough sell for a lot of guys due to the 5 pin setup. All newer equipment Miller makes runs on 14 pin 20 shell size amphenol plugs. If you have the 5 pin connector cord that attaches to the unit, that's a plus, being it can be converted over to 14 pin on the machine input side quite easily. If you do not, different story. You'll find Jimmy Hoffa's body long before you find a used cord for that unit & making one won't be cheap.

The unit itself can be hard wired & converted to a 14 pin plug both back & front respectively, but it's quite a labor intensive job to tear it apart to do it. I have seen the newer D1 boxes sell complete for $500. I wouldn't be expecting more than $350 out of yours unless you have the accessories for it. Most users wouldn't want to pay $500 for it bare bones, then have to spend money & time making a cord to connect it to their newer machine. Especially when the market is so bottomed out & stuff like this is selling cheap.

I only say this because I had one come in a few years back that I got for cheap but was really rough (this one did have the contactor option). I put quite a bit of work into it, but had one heck of a time selling it because it was missing the cord & putting one on it would have consumed a good share of my profit margin. I think I got $450 for it, sold it to a guy running it off a CC engine drive with no remote.

Just a few thoughts to consider.
    Last edited by 7A749; 01-13-2011 at 08:21 AM.
    Dairy equipment repair, Welding machine repair, General all-around garage hack...

DynaSteve

Thanks for input. I will see if he has the cord.