welding with a heart pacemaker
RSS | Subscribe | Contact Us | Advertise | About Us

welding with a heart pacemaker

What protection is needed to safely weld with a heart pacemaker installed in ones chest?
    I would think that fine wire mesh/ screen would stop any or most all electrical disturbances from getting through to the pacemaker as that's what is in a microwave oven uses in the door glass.Surely there has been some scientific studies done and something recommended.
    Sam

Re: welding with a heart pacemaker

Talk to your Doctor, I had one guy with a pacemaker welding with a mig he needed a 5mtr mig gun to be far enough away from the magnetism from the power source..

But talk to your doctor.

Just a few random thoughts... I think Inverter welders will generate a lot more High frequency noise than a transformer at the power supply, the arc generates RF also on any welder, any length of wire will act as an antenna converting magnetic energy to electrical current, the power drops by the square of the distance from the source... twice the distance 1/4 the power... so if you decide to weld I'd keep the arc a full arms length for starters... that includes keeping the cable away from your chest as it has a high amperage running through it therefore a strong magnetic field... even if its mostly DC the arc starts and stops generate a pulse...

What about one of those spool gun welders you attach to a set of batteries??? they might not generate any field other than the Arc-RF/start-stop... www.readywelder.com ??? just thoughts, I'm no expert on pacemakers... good luck and have fun

Just curious now.... what, if any, are your instructions for safety around a microwave oven???
    I ask because they have intense RF and transformers you can weld with inside them....

Remember the days not too long ago when pacemakers and microwaves were NEW? You used to see those signs on the doors of the 7-11's and offices "Microwave in use".

You don't see them as much anymore. I guess pacemakers are built better now or those with them just assume that microwaves are everywhere.
    Lincoln AC225 & MigPak 140, Lincoln Magnum SpoolGun, Miller Spectrum 375-X Plasma, Syncrowave 200 TIG, Millermatic 252 MIG, Miller Digital Elite, General 7x12" horiz/vert bandsaw, 3' box/pan brake, 20 ton press, milling machine, 12x28 lathe, etc.

Most modern pacemakers aren't affected by welding radiation. When originally used, there were some concerns, but not so much anymore.

I remember reading a study a few years ago (5-10) that couldn't find any evidence welding caused changes in the heart rhythm. But if I remember correctly, this was stick welding. I wasn't interested in metal fabrication at the time, so didn't pay a whole lot of attention to it. I'm sure it could be googled to find the study, or a newer study.

Talk to your doc, he should have the latest info.
    Mark
    I haven't always been a nurse........
    Craftsman 12"x36" Lathe
    Enco G-30B Mill
    Hobart Handler 175
    Century 230 Amp A/C stick welder
    Add a Foot Pedal to a Harbor Freight Chicago Electric 165A DC TIG
    PapaLion's Gate Build

Aside from HF used in TIG (which is known to be dangerous to pacemakers), and radiation from the power sources, ALL arcs (even DC) generate copious amounts of radio waves, and the high currents from welding will generate magnetic fields around your cables (because they are not twisted together), which are almost impossible to block (your metal screen will block SOME radio interference, but NO magnetic fields).

I doubt there's been much scientific testing of pacemakers accepting interference. If a manufacturer tests for that and says some is ok, they incur liability. If they just warn the users to stay away from interference, they're safe.

Now, is any of that dangerous to you? Who knows, but I'd suggest picking up oxy-acetylene.

Oh, and the screening on a microwave oven works because the long wavelengths of the microwaves make the waves unable to fit through the tiny holes.

The mesh in a microwave is there to keep the radiation in, yes, but that's not going to work for all types of radiation. Microwave wave length is about on par with the width of a softball. You have holes in a screen large enough and some of those waves will come through and perhaps blind you. This practice is kind of unique to microwave devices of significant power.

I think the ancient pacemakers were maybe more sensitive to the magnetic fields of the magnetron used in microwave ovens than the radiation itself, if at all.

Can anyone with first hand information ( as having a pacemaker now) give any up to date info.
    I am wanting to know about this to forward to my father-in-law who has had one put in 2 months ago.
    He asked me because I've welded for 30+ years.
    His Doctor gave him a pamphlet saying he could weld if he kept a distance of two feet away from the weld & the lead.Not always possible! Also it said that any effects would be temporary so if he felt any then stop and wait for heart beat to return to normal before resuming to weld. BUT i feel like he does, we would rather ware a shield, if there is one available and then not worry about fainting and falling or something if heart rhythm is upset.
    By the way i was a utilities company lineman for ten years before becoming a welder in 1975. We had to work on hi voltage lines sometimes and had some conductive coveralls that booties clipped to and gloves all connected together to keep static charge from building and zapping us as we moved about, and that makes me believe that someone makes a welding outfit/jacket/coveralls or shield for someone with a pacemaker.....

from a Miller 2050 owner's manual
    1-5. EMF Information
    Considerations About Welding Or Cutting And The Effects Of Low
    Frequency Electric And Magnetic Fields
    Welding or cutting current, as it flows through the welding or cutting
    cables, will cause electromagnetic fields. There has been and still is
    some concern about such fields. However, after examining more than
    500 studies spanning 17 years of research, a special blue ribbon
    committee of the National Research Council concluded that: “The body
    of evidence, in the committee’s judgment, has not demonstrated that
    exposure to power-frequency electric and magnetic fields is a humanhealth
    hazard.” However, studies are still going forth and evidence
    continues to be examined. Until the final conclusions of the research are
    reached, you may wish to minimize your exposure to electromagnetic
    fields when welding or cutting.
    To reduce magnetic fields in the workplace, use the following procedures:
    1. Keep cables close together by twisting or taping them.
    2. Arrange cables to one side and away from the operator.
    3. Do not coil or drape cables around your body.
    4. Keep cutting power source and cables as far away from operator
    as practical.
    5. Connect work clamp to workpiece as close to the cut as possible.
    About Pacemakers:
    Pacemaker wearers consult your doctor first. If cleared by your doctor,
    then following the above procedures is recommended.

Keeping the searches confined to medical sites I haven't seen anything real positive with what I've seen. Glad the decision isn't mine to make.

Look at these. All the comments come from the sites themselves.

http://www.eham.net/ehamforum/smf/in...p?topic=1861.0

Generally,these things are arranged to fall back into basic pacing mode when there's too much RF field sensed. Things you do have to watch include MRI scans, and arc welding.

http://www.uihealthcare.com/topics/m...fib/index.html

People with pacemakers and defibrillators who use arc welding devices and other kinds of heavy energy that involve magnetism or electricity tend to have problems.

http://circ.ahajournals.org/cgi/cont...ha;105/18/2136

There are some situations, however, that are to be avoided if you have a pacemaker, such as full-contact sports, which may damage the pacemaker, exposure to arc welding equipment, magnetic resonance scanners (MRI), and high-voltage commercial transformers.

http://www.medtronic.com/rhythms/dow...aws_online.pdf

It is recommended you avoid
    welding and the use of chain
    saws. We understand some
    individuals may still need to
    use these tools. It is our hope
    that any decision you make
    to use these tools is made in
    consultation with your heart
    doctor.
    "The things that will destroy America are prosperity at any price, peace at any price, safety first instead of duty first, the love of soft living and the get rich quick theory of life." -Theodore Roosevelt

Quote Originally Posted by hockeyman View Post
    What protection is needed to safely weld with a heart pacemaker installed in ones chest? Sam
    First off, I didn't think that a pacemaker would have enough amperage for more than the thinnest sheetmetal. Then there's the problem of the cables coming out of your chest. Did you get that option from your doctor when he installed?

Still probably better than ChinaCrap welders!
    HTP 2400, HTP 131 TIG, O/A and a ton of fab and mechanics tools.

What are you? Nuts?

Thanks everybody for taking the time to answer back (even 983-over) .
    Taking under advisement and passing info. along to be used along with doctors recommendation also i am sure, thanks again everyone.

I have a pacemaker. I tried to Tig some high amp aluminum and it lit my pacemaker up. This resulted in an urgent reprogram to my pacemaker. No Tig welding with an implanted device. My pacemaker took a 25 year career away from me...

I go along with 983-over. The pulse feature on the pacemaker would make it easier to weld aluminum foil but I think the pulse rate of 60 to 80 a minute would be hard to get used to, as you usually use 60 to 80 a second.

By the longest stretch, a welding forum is NO PLACE to be discussing the medical aspects of pacemakers!!! Please be responsible and refer any questions to a DOCTOR! Pacemakers are a very delicate medical subject that should be addressed by medical professionals only.

I find it odd that flame wars start over the liability of welding on trailers, but folks will listen to anecdotal stories about medical aspects of life-saving devices such as pacemakers....just my 2c worth.

On Tuesday I was to be fitted with a 24 hour heart monitor, when I told them I welded for a living, they pulled the idea.
    Turns out, you can't even have the thing near an electric blanket, let alone a hi frequency welder.
    Rescheduled for next week.....just no welding.
    Also have to agree with Shortfuse.....go talk with your doctor.
    CIG 320SP pulse mig
    Mitech ACDC315P
    Samson 510 CNC plasma table
    Hypertherm 85
    Etc, etc,etc.

"You don't stop laughing when you get old....You get old when you stop laughing".

Quote Originally Posted by Mick120 View Post
    On Tuesday I was to be fitted with a 24 hour heart monitor, when I told them I welded for a living, they pulled the idea.
    Turns out, you can't even have the thing near an electric blanket, let alone a hi frequency welder.
    Rescheduled for next week.....just no welding.
    Also have to agree with Shortfuse.....go talk with your doctor.
    Yeah, Mick, I can just see it now...

Old Joe gets a new pacemaker implanted, goes by his old welding shop, strolls in, and BLAM!!!...his pacemaker goes off-line! Old Joe (if he lives) tells the ER and doctors "well, I figgered it was OK to go back to where they were welding because the experts at the welding forum told about several guys who had no problems being around welding with THEIR pacemakers!!!!..."

Mick, best of luck with your evaluations! Your heath and life are not replaceable. Pacemakers are a wonderful technology and if attended to properly can add many years to your life.