Possible to make new wheel center caps?
RSS | Subscribe | Contact Us | Advertise | About Us

Possible to make new wheel center caps?

I just picked up a set of 1980's Japanese wheels and they are missing a center cap. It is highly unlikely that I will be able to find a replacement how hard do you guys think it would be to make a new one from scratch?

I was thinking that lost foam casting one would be the easiest and cheapest but that the threads on the nut and center might not come out very good, especially since this would be my first foray into casting anything.

Second would be finding someone to cut the 2 pieces on a mill/lathe. No idea how to go about doing that without spending a fortune or learning cad software.

I suppose the lug cover and the nut could be made one piece if that would simplify things a lot.

Any insight would be appreciated!
    Thanks
    -Chris
    Last edited by chrisbmx68; 01-18-2011 at 04:47 PM.

Re: Possible to make new wheel center caps?

Look around in here..
    http://www.hubcapsonwheels.com/center_caps.htm

You never know what you will find..

Google "centercaps"
    Lot's 'O' Sites..

...zap!

I am not completely insane..
    Some parts are missing

Professional Driver on a closed course....
    Do not attempt.

Ive been questing for a week or so, I don't think its going to happen unless someone from japan who hordes rare wheel parts wants to mail me one

whats the car i think my nabor uses those wheels for winter wheels on his tt 300zx not sure if they were stock on that car

Maybe you can try here:

http://www.emachineshop.com/

Their software is super easy to learn. I have never ordered from them cause I have a mill and lathe, but I use the software all the time for designing stuff. Just a thought.

kidtigger24
    They think I’m crazy, but I know better. It is not I who am crazy. It is I who am MAD!

they are wrd f5 3 piece wheels the forged center was done by weds co ltd in japan in the early 80's

these particular ones are 4x108 but I found sets in 5x114.3 and 4x100. I plan to fill and drill these to 4x100 and run them on my e30

I will check out their software thanks for the link. I think if I cant find any I am going to try my hand at casting the 2 pieces. Instead of trying to make the fine threads I will probably just cast the center cap thicker tap it and use a bolt from the backside of the flat plate.

Quote Originally Posted by chrisbmx68 View Post
    they are wrd f5 3 piece wheels the forged center was done by weds co ltd in japan in the early 80's

these particular ones are 4x108 but I found sets in 5x114.3 and 4x100. I plan to fill and drill these to 4x100 and run them on my e30

I will check out their software thanks for the link. I think if I cant find any I am going to try my hand at casting the 2 pieces. Instead of trying to make the fine threads I will probably just cast the center cap thicker tap it and use a bolt from the backside of the flat plate.

Why don't you email them and see if they've got a replacement on the shelves or somewhere? Nihongin can speak and read Ego. While we lived there I ordered a lot of motorcycle parts online new and used. Yahoo auctions JP actually has a lot of parts. Worth a shot.

http://www.weds.co.jp/english/export.html
    http://auctions.yahoo.co.jp/
    Lincoln AC225 and Cart
    Lincoln WeldPak HD and Cart
    One hand

would you be willing to sell these wheel and if so how much. i have a 1972 honda AN600 that I'm restoring and need a set of vintage wheels like this and the happen to be the rare 4x108 that i need

Pm me an offer if you really want them, I don't think they will fit that car well though they are 16x8 et11. The one wheel needs to be straightened I was just quoted $200 to do that. Still no luck getting caps either. I am almost certainly going to attempt to cast my own if I keep them.
    Last edited by chrisbmx68; 01-20-2011 at 08:28 PM.

is there anything special about these wheels? are they rare or something... might just sell them and get what you can out of them and just buy a different set..

any machine shop could make a replacement cap but i would think it would cost to much to make it feasible ,unless these are some kind of high end wheel that you cant buy anymore.. at that point you might spend the money to have a pro do it..

yeah they are rare and the 3 piece with forged center is desirable. Plus all the ladies will swoon and I will get cool points at all the shows and junk this year

Worked out the mold in my head last night buying plaster tonight for the caps and center.