Need 1/16" thick aluminum, holes filled
RSS | Subscribe | Contact Us | Advertise | About Us

Need 1/16" thick aluminum, holes filled

I have a piece of aluminum that has two cable management holes that I do not want (one rectangular one and one oval shaped one). The piece is 1/16 inch thick aluminum, I want the end product to be flush with the rest of the piece. Visual is the most important part of this. I am worried if it is done improperly it will get distorted by the heat. So whatever method to achieve the end result (flush smooth finish) welding, brazing, anything to get it to work.

I am located in Maine, but am going to have to ship out the piece anyways since I am a college student without a vehicle.

Attachment 1027631
    Attachment 1027641
    Attachment 1027681
    Attachment 1027691

**The yellow highlighted part comes apart from the rest of the chassis**
    **Black rubber grommet on the oval cutout has been removed**
    **Also the parts attached with the nuts have been removed**

So what will be sent out is a single piece of aluminum with two holes (pictured above) needing to be filled.

I apologize if this is not how things are done here, if so please let me know, I will either change it or delete it!

I will be paying with paypal, please get in touch if you have any questions or can do this and leave me a quote for the job.

Thank you very much!
    Last edited by MrMoonPie; 03-04-2015 at 11:29 PM.

Re: Need 1/16" thick aluminum, holes filled

Pics didn't work for me.
    Dave J.

Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance. ~George Bernard Shaw~

Airco 300 - Syncro 350
    Invertec v250-s
    Thermal Arc 161 and 300
    MM210
    Dialarc
    Tried being normal once, didn't take....I think it was a Tuesday.

Here is a link to a photo album in case the links are broken.

http://imgur.com/a/3J7uQ

Looks like a perfect repair for a nicely fitted plate, pop-riveted in place.
    Dave J.

Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance. ~George Bernard Shaw~

Airco 300 - Syncro 350
    Invertec v250-s
    Thermal Arc 161 and 300
    MM210
    Dialarc
    Tried being normal once, didn't take....I think it was a Tuesday.

It may take a few days for the pictures to show. I suspect that the moderators have to OK them for brand new members. In the mean time, can you describe it a bit more?

Welding a plate over a hole and making it invisible is not impossible. It can be time consuming and therefor more costly. It may cost you more than the price of simply getting a new plate.

I do not yet have the skill to guarantee that it would not warp, so I will not offer to do it for you. Alternatives include affixing a back plate and filling the void with epoxy or Bondo. Once it's sanded and painted it will be as smooth as a car fender.

Dan
    ----------------------------
    Measure twice. Weld once. Grind to size.

MIG: Lincoln SP100
    TIG/STICK: AHP Alphatig 200X

Thank you both for responding!

The piece comes like that (I have already asked the manufacturer if they can do it without, the answer was sadly "no"). This is not a repair, but a modification. As for the epoxy the part needs to be powder coated to match the rest of the case.

I am looking for the hole to be patched not covered, as aesthetics is what I am going for.

I understand Aluminum is difficult to work with when welding

Would it be possible/easier to maybe use some sort of brazing technique? Cut out a patch then use some sort of filler around it?

Based on my meager experience, brazing aluminum does not usually work well. TIG should be the process to use.

Dan
    ----------------------------
    Measure twice. Weld once. Grind to size.

MIG: Lincoln SP100
    TIG/STICK: AHP Alphatig 200X

Alright well in that case that is what I am looking for!

Name:  uvKB8J8.jpg
Views: 293
Size:  36.6 KB

This is inside a computer case ?

Who's going to see it that it's an aesthetic issue?
    Once the sides are on, you won't ever see it.

It's very thin
    Getting that welded and finished flush, then powder coated to match will be difficult

Better to put in a contrasting material and make it a feature
    Maybe epoxy in some carbon fibre or something.

Can you remove the piece and take more pics? How many do you need done? It might be easier to make a new piece than to patch the holes. It is going to warp.
    My name's not Jim....

I currently do not have the piece, those pictures are from the manufactures web site. I can get the piece sometime next week. ( I am away from home) I am totally open to getting a piece made. As for aesthetics this is a very custom computer. There are large acrylic windows on the side. And this part is a major looking point as there will be a reservoir in there.

I wouldnt touch this project with a ten foot pole, not am I even remoetely anal enough to worry about this "issue" but humor me anyways, what's your budget?

if it is just for aesthetics, why not just cut a piece to size and solder it in place? You can do it with a propane torch. sand it smooth when done and send it off to powder coat. If you want to give up on powder coat and go to paint, then you can even do it with body filler (e.g., "bondo")
    Hobart Handler 190
    Syncrowave 250
    Purox Metalmaster

I am looking for offers to be made, this is not just a personal computer. This is going to be brought to trade shows as a sort of show piece for my father company.

That is the find of answer that I am looking for. It has to be powder coated as the color and texture (the current powder coat is textured) I am very inexperienced with metal work. Would you just use regular solder (for electrical wire)? Or is there special solder that can be used something high temp? Powder coat cures at 350 which is right around the melting point of solder if I can remember.

buy some aluminum brazing wire off ebay its $30 a pound typically
    place it flat piece of steel on top of stove till it melts in
    sand down
    go to youtube and watch the how to videos first.

most likely you will mess it up the first time and have to buy another pieces unless you practice on many scrap pieces

I'll do it for $75, that's my bid.

It's gonna need preheat. Some distortion is inevitable. The weld will by necessity be hotter than the workpiece. The weld will, as it cools, shrink more than the work. It will then be necessary to draw it out by either hammer and dolly work, or planisher.
    An optimist is usually wrong, and when the unexpected happens is unprepared. A pessimist is usually right, when wrong, is delighted, and well prepared.

Quote Originally Posted by AluminumWelder View Post
    buy some aluminum brazing wire off ebay its $30 a pound typically
    place it flat piece of steel on top of stove till it melts in
    sand down
    go to youtube and watch the how to videos first.

most likely you will mess it up the first time and have to buy another pieces unless you practice on many scrap pieces

I'll do it for $75, that's my bid.
    I sent you a pm!