Mitten trees (glove drying racks)
RSS | Subscribe | Contact Us | Advertise | About Us

Mitten trees (glove drying racks)

For xmas one of my wifes sisters had the idea to each make a gift for our gift exchange. Im not great at macaroni art or any other stupid crap, so I told my wife to come up with something I could weld.

The answer was a mitten "tree", ya know to hang your wet hats, gloves etc on to dry.

Not counting filler or gas for the welder I spent ~$35 on each for the steel and powder (powder alone was $20 ea).

I think they came out pretty good, and are WAY better quality than any china made crap for the same, or more, money. Each family loved them, so win.

Dan

Re: Mitten trees (glove drying racks)

Hi, Great job. nice use of imagination too, Just out of curiosity what do they call the black/silver hammer finish, been looking for some of that for a while but never knew what it was called,
    Thank you Gordon,
    Lincoln SP-170 Mig
    Hypertherm powermax 45
    Lorch T220 AC/DC Tig
    Butters FM 215 synergic Mig
    Kemppi 180 adaptive mig

RULES ARE FOR THE OBEDIENCE OF FOOLS AND THE
    GUIDANCE OF WISE MEN.

Nice. We had one where I used to work that was made from scrap tubing coped together. The main tube was drilled so air could pass thru all the limbs. There was a cheap blower attached to the bottom to push air thru the tree to dry boots and gloves. (It was a dive shop and boots and gloves always got rank if they got put away damp.) Just a thought for someone else that might like the idea.

No government ever voluntarily reduces itself in size. Government programs, once launched, never disappear. Actually, a government bureau is the nearest thing to eternal life we'll ever see on this earth!

Ronald Reagan

Gordon,

The powder is called silver vein. This is the powder my place uses http://www.cardinalpaint.com/product...cid=2&cctid=12

Cool idea on the copper. That would probably function better than these. However, this is probably 1/2 funciton, 1/2 decorative.

Dan

Nice work! I really like that finish.

(Retired) Professional firefighter, amateur everything else I try to do...
    Oh yeah: Go Big Red! (You know: one of the 12 members of the Big 10 cuz we left the 10 members of the Big 12...)

How about some shots of your oven and pc gear?
    Chris

Lincoln Pro Mig 180T
    Miller Spectrum 375

I've thought of making a boot and glove dryer out of aluminum for the box and a muffin fan and light bulb for heat and air circulation thru pvc pipe with holes drilled in it.

I like the finish also juicedz4
    Maxus Pro-125 Mig
    Chicago Electric 90 amp DC flux-core
    Lincoln Electric AC 225 tombstone
    O/A torch
    M/O mini-torch
    10 acres of flatland
    15 acres of holler

Quote Originally Posted by DSW View Post
    Nice. We had one where I used to work that was made from scrap tubing coped together. The main tube was drilled so air could pass thru all the limbs. There was a cheap blower attached to the bottom to push air thru the tree to dry boots and gloves. (It was a dive shop and boots and gloves always got rank if they got put away damp.) Just a thought for someone else that might like the idea.
    We built one similar to that, for the line office at the airport. Fueling operation in the winter is sloppy enough and gloves are always soaked from rewinding the fuel fuel hoses, just makes life miserable.

The one there used a hairdryer for the heat/fan. Ours was mounted to blow down from the top to avoid contact with wet floors. (insert electrocution smiley here)

The OPs design is clean and the powder coat gives it a PRO look. A great idea for home use, especially for kids gloves and boots!
    Roger
    Old, Tired, and GRUMPY

Salesman will call, Batteries not included, Assembly is required, and FREE ADVICE IS WORTH EXACTLY WHAT YOU PAY FOR IT!

Dial Arc 250HF
    Thunderbolt 225 AC/DC

Assorted A/O torches

Great gift idea.

I think handmade gifts are better. I bet your sister in law liked getting those ALOT better than another gift basket for bath and bodyworks or something.

I love it!
    I might float the idea to the first grade teacher down the hall!!!!!!
    What are the balls made from?
    What size round bar is it?
    Dave Reber
    Wadsworth Ohio

Quote Originally Posted by KnacK View Post
    How about some shots of your oven and pc gear?
    I dont have my own stuff. I have a "guy" that does my PC.

Quote Originally Posted by larphead View Post
    Great gift idea.

I think handmade gifts are better. I bet your sister in law liked getting those ALOT better than another gift basket for bath and bodyworks or something.
    Totally, everyone loved them. My mom even got a random little pair of mittens to leave on it. lol

Quote Originally Posted by Reebs View Post
    I love it!
    I might float the idea to the first grade teacher down the hall!!!!!!
    What are the balls made from?
    What size round bar is it?
    The main bar and legs are 3/8", the branches are 1/4" and the balls are 3/8" (I think). I just bought a bag of 100 precision ground balls from McMaster. I think they were like $7 for the bag.

Thanks for all the positive comments!

Dan

Good job, like the finish also.
    In the words of the great philosopher Quagmire.Gigedy Gigedy Gigedy Gigidey Goo.