Hypertherm Powermax 600 problems
RSS | Subscribe | Contact Us | Advertise | About Us
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hypertherm Powermax 600 problems

Has anyone had a problem getting their 600 to fire. Mine is about two years old, has only about 4-6 hours use. Never had a problem with before. But now it won't even start cutting. Changed the consumables (tips, electrode) and all green lights but won't start cutting
    Good judgement comes from experience.
    Experience comes from bad judgement.

Re: Hypertherm Powermax 600 problems

Did you check that your ground clamp is secure on clean metal? And that your air is hooked up?
    Co-Own CNC shop:Miller :1251 plasma cutter, MaxStar 700 TIG/Stick, & XMT 456 Multiprocess Welder.& 2 Hypertherm HPR260's Plasma Cutter

Sorry I had a bad stroke but now I am back.

Two things to check first remove the torch nozzle and tip push the electrode to see if it goes in and out free if the plunger is stuck it won't fire if thats ok then unplug the torch and check for any corrosion if there is any clean it and if you have some dielectric greese put it on the terminals then plug it in and out a few times then try to cut.
    Lincoln Power Mig 180C
    Hot Max Spool Gun
    HF 95136 and 60767 Plasma Cutter
    ALPHA TIG 200X
    Lincoln 225 AC
    www.georgesplasmacuttershop.com

Specter, my torch in the past has always started regardless wether or not it was touching the metal to cut. I could just hold it up in the air and pulling the trigger would start the arc, it wouldn't stay on for more than a couple of seconds though, then shut off.

Mechanic, I tried taking the connection to the machine from the torch, looked at it's fine. I took the handle apart to see if anything had come loose, and no problem their either. One thing I didn't mention is that in the past (one time). The internal pressure regulator started leaking air. I knew because you could hear air leaking from inside the unit. I opened the casing and found that there is hose that comes off the bottom of the bowl of the air regulator. It has a built in filter that is replacable, and a type of spring loaded relief valve at the bottom of the bowl. I took it apart and blew it out and it quit leaking. Well that happened again (the leaking from the air reg.). And I was doing some cuttin yesterday with it and it was cutting fine, even though it was leaking air. So tonight I did the ssame thing to the regulator and it fixed the air leakage. But no arc

Hypertherm, and probably most other plasma cutters, are finicky about correct consumable installation. Go through the torch one more time and check by parts numbers as well as using the photo illustration on top of the case. I've been 'sure' I had everything in perfect order on mine a time or two before noticing I had some mismatched consumable somewhere in the assembly. Also, if you haven't done it already, unplug/disconnect the plasma cutter from your electrical supply for a good 5 minutes and try for a re-boot.
    Lincoln PowerTig 275
    Miller 251
    Miller DialArc 250
    Bridgeport mill
    Hossfeld bender with dies
    Logan shaper
    Jet 14 X 40 lathe
    South Bend 9 model 'C'...sometimes a 'B'
    Hypertherm 900
    Ellis 3000 band saw
    Too small a shop...too many tools

Did you check the electrode plunger? it sounds like you have water or rust in the air valve or torch. when you pull the trigger does the air come on?
    Lincoln Power Mig 180C
    Hot Max Spool Gun
    ALPHA TIG 200X
    Lincoln 225 AC

I checked all the consumable part numbers made sure the plunger depresses easily. And still no arc oh and unplugged it for fifteen minutes. Air comes on when the amp dial isvturned down bit I believe that is normal. I have a large air drier on the unit. I would think it is something simple due to thelittle use it has seen.

When you pull the trigger does the air come out of the torch tip/
    Lincoln Power Mig 180C
    Hot Max Spool Gun
    ALPHA TIG 200X
    Lincoln 225 AC

When I pull the trigger nothing happens

Then when you had the cover off you must have unpluged or pulled out a wire from the air valve or the air valve is pluged and not letting air through. Take the cover off and check the wires to the air valves and check the filter to make sure air is getting through it. If you cant find anything PM me with your phone number and the best time to call you tomorrow evening.
    Lincoln Power Mig 180C
    Hot Max Spool Gun
    ALPHA TIG 200X
    Lincoln 225 AC

All good advice so far.

It sounds like it may just be a simple wiring or broken wire issue.....you said the air flows when you turn the Amperage control fully counterclockwise (when you do this adjust the air flow regulator to about 65-70 psi)......but when you pull the trigger...nothing happens. This means the air solenoid and air flow circuitry is apparently working, but you are getting no signal from the torch trigger switch.

I would suggest tracing the switch wires from the torch trigger to the connections back in the power supply. Could be a loose connection, broken wire, etc.

Sounds like mechanic 416 is willing to help troubleshoot, or you can call Hypertherm tech service...they are free, and they are very good at helping find issues such as this. Here is their contact info:

Technical Service
    technical.service@hypertherm.com
    800-643-9878 Tel - Toll Free in USA
    and Canada

Good luck, and keep us posted.

Jim Colt Hypertherm

jtrapper maybe Jim is right you better call Hypertherm tech service...they are "free", and they are very good at helping find issues such as this

Sorry I even tryed to help good luck and hope you get it fixed soon. George
    Lincoln Power Mig 180C
    Hot Max Spool Gun
    ALPHA TIG 200X
    Lincoln 225 AC

Quote Originally Posted by mechanic416 View Post
    jtrapper maybe Jim is right you better call Hypertherm tech service...they are "free", and they are very good at helping find issues such as this

Sorry I even tryed to help good luck and hope you get it fixed soon. George
    What is it with your attitude towards Jim?
    You sound like you have a little sand in your v@gina.
    Kemppi Pro Evolution 4200
    Kemppi 530 wire feed with MXE panel
    Cigweld TransTig 200 AC/DC
    Hypertherm PowerMax45
    CutSkill O/A setup
    Speedglas 9000x adflow
    Speedglas 9100xx
    2 Labs

All at home!

I cannot figure him out....he has some kind of an issue! I thought it was great that he was willing to help out the OP with his problem....I just offered advice on how to get to tech service and he acts pissed about it!

Jim

Thank you everybody for your help. My day job is now interfering with my ability to trouble shoot my problem. When I get it resolved I will post what the problem was. Thanks again, I think collectively you all have it narrowed down to the wiring betweeen the torch and machine.

I was planning on my next post to follow after a call to Hypertherm to their technical dept.. but I didn't have to call them. Somehow it works, I really hate when things happen like that. Even though I was glad to see it works now. I'm not even going to speculate now. Trust me if I have anymore problems I'll be sure to follow up with you all. Thanks again everyone for all your advice.

So is it still working?
    I've got mine apart again trying to figure it out. Worked ok for a bit , then started to poop out. My issue is the arc either won't start or it will but will only gouge the metal( 1/8" flat) or won't start or gouge for a bit but it I pump the trigger or tap the tip it sometimes kick's over.
    And yes Jim, it's still the same problem as before. I'm being stubborn and just don't want to part with over $500 clams for the RT60!!!!! Especially since I don't know for sure if it's the torch!
    200amp Air Liquide MIG, Hypertherm Plasma, Harris torches, Optrel helmet, Makita angle grinders, Pre-China Delta chop saw and belt sander, Miller leathers, shop made jigs etc, North- welders backpack.

Sounds like a torch issue to me. The torch is not very complicated....you can download the service manual ( www.hypertherm.com click on download library, choose powermax600, choose manuals, then service manual) and it will show an exploded view of the torch assembly. You can repair or replace components as needed in the torch head if you don't want to buy a whole new torch. It will be worth more to you if it works!

Also....tech service at Hypertherm is very helpful...and free.
    Technical Service
    and Canada

Jim Colt

Quote Originally Posted by bert the welder View Post
    So is it still working?
    I've got mine apart again trying to figure it out. Worked ok for a bit , then started to poop out. My issue is the arc either won't start or it will but will only gouge the metal( 1/8" flat) or won't start or gouge for a bit but it I pump the trigger or tap the tip it sometimes kick's over.
    And yes Jim, it's still the same problem as before. I'm being stubborn and just don't want to part with over $500 clams for the RT60!!!!! Especially since I don't know for sure if it's the torch!

Quote Originally Posted by LarryO View Post
    What is it with your attitude towards Jim?
    You sound like you have a little sand in your v@gina.
    I like that one Larry, may have to borrow it......
    CIG 320SP pulse mig
    Mitech ACDC315P
    Samson 510 CNC plasma table
    Hypertherm 85
    Etc, etc,etc.

"You don't stop laughing when you get old....You get old when you stop laughing".

Thanks Jim! Hadn't seen that section on the website before. I'll print it off and get a friend to go over everything with a circuit tester and see if we come up with the issue.
    Thanks again!!!!!
    B

Quote Originally Posted by jimcolt View Post
    Sounds like a torch issue to me. The torch is not very complicated....you can download the service manual ( www.hypertherm.com click on download library, choose powermax600, choose manuals, then service manual) and it will show an exploded view of the torch assembly. You can repair or replace components as needed in the torch head if you don't want to buy a whole new torch. It will be worth more to you if it works!

Also....tech service at Hypertherm is very helpful...and free.
    Technical Service
    and Canada

Jim Colt
    200amp Air Liquide MIG, Hypertherm Plasma, Harris torches, Optrel helmet, Makita angle grinders, Pre-China Delta chop saw and belt sander, Miller leathers, shop made jigs etc, North- welders backpack.

Often problems in the torch are pretty simple......although if internal parts are badly arced or burned...it may not be easily repairable. Still...it is usually cheaper to repair that buy a whole new one!
    The new RT60 torch is a much nicer torch...better cuts, longer consumable life.

Jim

Try taking some pictures of the last set of consumables, Up inside the torch head.
    Care fully remove the handle and take a picture of the switch and back side of the head.
    Post the picture here.

Quote Originally Posted by ccawgc View Post
    Try taking some pictures of the last set of consumables, Up inside the torch head.
    Care fully remove the handle and take a picture of the switch and back side of the head.
    Post the picture here.
    Good thinkin'!

Another thought, if the torch fires but will not cut. First check the ground, If that's good unscrew the cap 1/8 to 1/4 turn. Seen this a bunch of times. according to hypertherm it has something to do with the distance from the electrode to the nozzle. With all the older torches you always tighten the cap until it stops then back it off 1/8 to 1/4 turn. The brand new model torch has a hard stop that fixes this issue.