What is the best Mig 140 welder for your money
RSS | Subscribe | Contact Us | Advertise | About Us
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

What is the best Mig 140 welder for your money

I am looking to by a mig 140 welder and need so help picking one out. I want to build treestands out of 1 1/4 inch square tube and 1/8 thick. I don't have a lot of money to spend right now i am laid off. I am getting the square tube for free. I forgot to mention I know nothing about welding.
    Thanks for your help

Re: What is the best Mig 140 welder for your money

You could do those with a Fluxcore machine

Hobart Handler 125 EZ

http://www.hobartwelders.com/weldtalk/index.php

You can search the Hobart forum for reviews
    Ed Conley
    http://www.screamingbroccoli.com/
    MM252
    MM211
    Passport Plus & Spool gun
    Lincoln SP135 Plus- (Gone to a good home)
    Miller 125c Plasma 120v
    SO 2020 bender
    Beer in the fridge

Make SURE you get good with whatever you buy. I would hesitate to climb very high with average welds.

hobart all the way there better machines
    Hobart mega arc 250 Airco dipstick160 air liquide cutting torches arc air gouger and so many more goodies
    If you cant dazzle them with brillants baffle them with bullsh$t

Check craigslist, if you're anywhere near philadelphia I just did a quick search and there are a lot of used mig's for sale in that area, expect to pay in the $300+ range for a good used 120v decent brand, lincoln, hobart, miller.

If you need to weld really cheap and have a 220 outlet you could pick up an old buzz box for around $100;
    http://philadelphia.craigslist.org/tls/2138656415.html
    http://philadelphia.craigslist.org/tls/2145647559.html
    http://philadelphia.craigslist.org/tls/2160520228.html

Here is a list of mig welders that I like but not sure what to buy on a limited budget.
    Lincoln Mig 140C Model K2471 $664.
    Eastwood MIG Welder 135A $299.00
    Real Gear MIG 140 - $299
    MILLER MILLERMATIC 140 AUTOSET MIG WELDER # 907335 $665.
    Hobart 500500 Handler 140 140 Amp $474.
    The first 4 have the rheostat control and the Hobart has just 4 setting. How important is this option from a beginner.

I'd be tempted to try the Eastwood machine.

Don't worry too much about the tapped voltage selector on the Hobart, or any other machine.
    Ed Conley
    MM252
    MM211
    Miller 125c Plasma 120v
    SO 2020 bender
    Beer in the fridge

The first 4 have the rheostat control and the Hobart has just 4 setting. How important is this option from a beginner.
    I wouldn't buy a tapped machine.
    Being tapped will be harder to deal with for thin materials.
    The Hobart is just as well made of a machine as a miller, or Lincoln but the reason it's so much less is because of the tapped "handicap".

Oh, I"d go miller or lincoln. either will serve you well
    Buy American, or don't whine when you end up on the bread line.

Take a moment and read the attached threads in the sticky on 110v migs so you understand the down sides of a 110v 140 amp class mig. If you can find a 220v mig from one of the big 3 (lincoln, Miller, Hobart) for close to your price range you will be better served in the long run as it will let you do more than sheetmetal. 1/8" is pushing the max a 140 class machine will do practically, and then usually with a dedicated 20 amp line and with only a short duty cycle.

The "best" would be the Passport plus followed closely by Millers MM211. Note both machines are 110v/220v machines and do max out at 140 amps on 110v power. Neither is inexpensive however. Of all the 110v capable machines on the market, the Passport plus will give you slightly better performance on 110v because of the inverter power source and the fact it is designed to maximize performance on 100% Co2. That's a lot of money to spend on a very small gain unless you really need a light portable machine however. you can get a 220v only Hobart for a lot less money and have more power available.

No government ever voluntarily reduces itself in size. Government programs, once launched, never disappear. Actually, a government bureau is the nearest thing to eternal life we'll ever see on this earth!

Ronald Reagan

I would look more at a 220volt model as well. A bit more money but worth it in the long run. For a limited budget the eastwood welder does a great job for the do it yourselfer.

I technically still own a Hobart Handler 125EZ, but it's pretty much permanently loaned out to a friend now that I have a MM211. It was a great machine, I just turned it up all the way and went to town on the metal with whatever spec that .030 Hobart FCAW wire is a Tractor Supply. Got it on a special from a Hobart rep visiting the TSC, $300 got me the machine, a brand new Hobart autodarkening fixed shade hood, two rolls of .030, decent gloves, a shoehorn brush and a chipping hammer. You could do a lot worse than a 125EZ, as long as you see the obvious limitations of a 110V wire feeder.

The Eastwood is in my price range but I don't want to regret not buying a brand like lincoln.
    What does anyone else think
    Thank you

The Eastwood welders have been on back order for almost 2 months. They seem like good welders, but you'll have to be patient to get one.

I was set to buy a Eastwood 175, but I couldn't wait any more. So I started researching other welders in the $600-700 range. One feature I had to have was infinite power control. That narrowed the search to a few models.

I finally selected a Miller 211. It cost a little more than I was intending to spend on a welder, but after using it I'd say it's worth the money. First of all the dual voltage. So far I am only running on 110V and it welds so much better than my old 110V Snap On MIG. I am looking forward to see how it does with 220, but I have to run another line in to the garage. It is also a space saver by not having to have a 110V welder and a 220V welder in the work area. It is fairly portable and best of all it is made in the USA.

I don't think you'd go wrong with the Miller 140.
    Last edited by billyons; 01-30-2011 at 07:48 PM. Reason: spelling
    Bill

Millermatic 211

1960 Ford Ranchero
    1975 Dodge B200

Quote Originally Posted by Labhead View Post
    I am looking to by a mig 140 welder and need so help picking one out. I want to build treestands out of 1 1/4 inch square tube and 1/8 thick. I don't have a lot of money to spend right now i am laid off. I am getting the square tube for free. I forgot to mention I know nothing about welding.
    Thanks for your help
    I was going by this on my suggestion with the handler 125EZ

We can spend your money all day long and recommend $600 + machines
    Ed Conley
    MM252
    MM211
    Miller 125c Plasma 120v
    SO 2020 bender
    Beer in the fridge

The hobart 125ez list for $417. and and sure if I can use gas with this unit and also it can only weld to 3/16.
    The Eastwood is $299. comes ready for gas you adjust the wire feed. It can weld up to 1/4 inch.

Both are made in the USA At least thats what they are saying.

miller and lincoln will LAST you a good while. I am a miller guy so I would say miller but the lincoln is a nice little machine have used one a few times!

if not those two go with the hobart!!!

The hobart 125ez list for $417. and and sure if I can use gas with this unit and also it can only weld to 3/16.
    The Eastwood is $299. comes ready for gas you adjust the wire feed. It can weld up to 1/4 inch.

Apologies thought they were around $250.00 but just realized that is for a refurbished unit from Toolking.

125EZ is a Fluxcore ONLY machine.

The Eastwood machine looks pretty good for $299.00
    Ed Conley
    MM252
    MM211
    Miller 125c Plasma 120v
    SO 2020 bender
    Beer in the fridge

Don't believe the manufacturers hype as far as these "max" thicknesses go. In the "real" world, under real world conditions, the best you can expect is 1/8" with any quality 140 amp class mig. These "theoretical" maxes the manufacturers usually list are running FC wire, usually with unlimited input amps and no extension cord, with an experienced welder who's already got the machine dialed in perfect on short welds within the very small duty cycle of the machine.

Betting you can do 1/4" or even 3/16" under real world conditions and have good solid welds just isn't realistic. The welds might look ok if you are not familiar with what proper welds should look like, but I'll garantee the welds will be cold and lack penetration unless you reallly know your $hit. To do this you need the extra input power on a 220v mig. There's no "magic" machine that will let you do this with mig on 110v input power. This would be a tough test with even expensive inverter based stick machines on 110v.

No government ever voluntarily reduces itself in size. Government programs, once launched, never disappear. Actually, a government bureau is the nearest thing to eternal life we'll ever see on this earth!

Ronald Reagan

That in very helpful advice thank you. I am looking to weld 1/8 square tubes to build ladder stands for hunting. I don't see myself at the present time doing anything thinker than that but thats why I wanted to get something that can weld thicker steel so I don't buy a piece of equipment that is under powered. A 140 mig welder is only good for about max 1/8 thinkness.
    Sounds like I might be better off finding a welder in my area who can weld these for me. I live in Levittown PA. If you know of anyone who is good with a fair price.

Thanks again for anyones help and suggestions

duplicate post.
    Last edited by DSW; 01-31-2011 at 12:33 AM.

Ronald Reagan

You're not that far from me. My biggest issue is that this time of year I don't have any shop space to work in the will run my mig. The garage is too full, and I don't have 220 at the "shop" yet. That and works been surprisingly busy this winter. There's a chance later we might be able to work something out.

There are several places in the area however that have some decent welding programs at the local tech schools. MiddleBucks (MBIT) on York Rd in Warminster is one. I don't know who's doing the night classes any more there. You used to have to start off there with stick, but that may have changed since I last knew the instructor years back. Eastern over by the Willow Grove exit of the turnpike also has a good program. I help out with clases at Eastern when work allows. Not sure but I think theres another place nearer to you that might have a program as well. You might think about taking that money and investing in a class if you are serious about learning.

The class is stupid cheap when you think about what you get after you look at what the steel, gas, wire, electric and so on would cost you, plus the instruction. Most instructors are happy to let students work on personal projects once they get the basics done. I know at Middle Bucks, the instructor I knew, was always looking for students to bring in practical projects that they could learn on.
    Last edited by DSW; 01-31-2011 at 12:35 AM.

Ronald Reagan

Please let me know when you have soon time open.
    Thanks

Not to change the subject but be very careful when dealing with tree stands that you are going to sell. Lots of liability here so be sure to talk this over with an insurance company (and/or lawyer) so you don't loose everything you own if someone gets hurt using one that you made.

FYI. when Cabela's (they sell lots of tree stands) takes in merchandise on return, they usually put it in the bargain cave. They only exception is tree stands. They won't even sell them to employees as the liability is so great. What happens to them? They are cut up into small pieces even if they haven't been used.

Just a thought.

when i was looking for a small machine airgas let me demo the miller, lincoln and hobart. by far the best machine was the miller, very heavy-duty built, way more than the others, sometimes you just have to spend a lil bit more to go first class, had it now for 3yrs and never, i repeat never had a problem with it.

I dont plan on selling any tree stands. my friend owns 385 acres in north west PA. The lawsuits would be crazy if someone gets hurt.

I am thinking lincoln or miller when it comes time to buy so I have no regrets.