Adapter plug for 240 volt generator?
RSS | Subscribe | Contact Us | Advertise | About Us

Adapter plug for 240 volt generator?

Hello everyone,

I recently bought a Miller 180 welder in California, knowing that I have a portable generator with 30-amp, 240-volt capacity at home outside Tucson (we live completely off the grid on solar and wind power).

To my chagrin, I just discovered that the welder has a three-prong plug, and the generator's 120/240-volt outlet takes a round four-prong twist-lock male plug. Ack.

Does anyone know if there is a suitable adapter available so I can use this generator?

I hoped my first question here would be about welding - but until I can actually start the thing I'm stuck!

Thanks for any advice.

Re: Adapter plug for 240 volt generator?

Make one would be just as easy. Buy the plug that fits the generator, a short bit of cord & an outlet that fits the welder. Or you could add some length to the cord to extend the "noise" away from the welder a bit.

Should be able to find the plugs, outlets & cord at Home Depot, Lowes or places like that.
    Mark
    I haven't always been a nurse........
    Craftsman 12"x36" Lathe
    Enco G-30B Mill
    Hobart Handler 175
    Century 230 Amp A/C stick welder
    Add a Foot Pedal to a Harbor Freight Chicago Electric 165A DC TIG
    PapaLion's Gate Build

Quote Originally Posted by MarkBall2 View Post
    Make one would be just as easy. Buy the plug that fits the generator, a short bit of cord & an outlet that fits the welder. Or you could add some length to the cord to extend the "noise" away from the welder a bit.

Should be able to find the plugs, outlets & cord at Home Depot, Lowes or places like that.
    I totally agree. I did a small job for a friend and had to do the same. I bought the round style plug and a female welder adapter plug. I wired the two together as I did not want to wire the round style plug to my welder cord directly.

I also have another cord wired for a dryer outlet. Attachments always come in handy.

Thank you both. I'll head into town tomorrow and look for the materials. I'll need to figure out which wire is which - or are they likely to be color-coded?

Usually 2 wires are 110 volts, 1 wire is neutral. Check with a multimeter for 110 volts to neutral, then 110 volts to neutral. Then remember the colors of the wires (if you can see them) entering the plug. On the adapter, you just have to keep the neutral the same. It won't matter too much which side of the other two pins get 110 volts, as long as both do & the neutral isn't crossed.
    Mark
    I haven't always been a nurse........
    Craftsman 12"x36" Lathe
    Enco G-30B Mill
    Hobart Handler 175
    Century 230 Amp A/C stick welder
    Add a Foot Pedal to a Harbor Freight Chicago Electric 165A DC TIG
    PapaLion's Gate Build

Thank you!

The colors should match. "Should". The one I bought came with a wiring diagram but I don't know where that went. There should be info on the net as well. Depending on the welder and plug, you may only need to hook up 3 of the wires.

Thank you. I'm pretty sure that one of the connections on the four-prong 120/240-volt twistlock outlet on the generator will be a ground, so I assume I won't need that one - just the two live feeds and the neutral?

other way around you will need the 2 live feeds and the ground. neutral should be taped up out of the way.

Hope this helps

Ryan

Just get a three wire cord. Then you don't even have to tape the neutral. Cheaper too. Two hots and a ground.
    My name's not Jim....

Syncrowave 200
    Millermatic 251 w/bottle mod
    Spoolmatic 30A
    Cutmaster 81
    Jet JTM-1 mill
    Jet GH-1340-W3 lathe
    Ellis 1600

Coronado. CA across the bay from San Diego, CA

Quote Originally Posted by Boostinjdm View Post
    Just get a three wire cord. Then you don't even have to tape the neutral. Cheaper too. Two hots and a ground.
    I will not disagree about using a three wire cord to make up a cable with a trhee prong socket and a four prong plug.

If your welder needs a neutral for 120 volt controls, fans etc, you will need to have a neutral.
    I offer three choices: Good, Fast, & Cheap. You may pick two.

Hobart AC/DC StikMate LX
    Harbor Freight AD Hood
    Harbor Freight Industrial Chop Saw
    DeVilbis 20 Gallon, 5 HP Compressor

Thanks to all again.

I'm assuming from the fact that the welder has a three-prong 240-volt plug that it does not need a neutral, just the two hots and ground.

Quote Originally Posted by JMHAZ View Post
    Thanks to all again.

I'm assuming from the fact that the welder has a three-prong 240-volt plug that it does not need a neutral, just the two hots and ground.
    Correct.
    "The things that will destroy America are prosperity at any price, peace at any price, safety first instead of duty first, the love of soft living and the get rich quick theory of life." -Theodore Roosevelt

There ya go
    Last edited by Broccoli1; 02-07-2011 at 05:42 PM.
    Ed Conley
    http://www.screamingbroccoli.net/
    MM252
    MM211
    Passport Plus & Spool gun
    TA 185
    Lincoln SP135 Plus- (Gone to a good home)
    Miller 125c Plasma 120v
    O/A set
    SO 2020 bender
    Beer in the fridge

Quote Originally Posted by Broccoli1 View Post

There ya go
    I like to mark the white wire with red or black as a reminder that it is NOT a neutral in this application sorry, I know I'm a fussbudget the electrons don't care

There is so much confusion over neutral vs ground GREEN is ground and WHITE is neutral GREEN does NOT carry current (except under fault conditions, WHITE DOES carry current under normal conditions. Under the wrong conditions it will bite you if you get it wrong !!!

(sorry for the rant)
    -- fred

Lincoln 180C MIG

Success:

Thanks for the advice, everyone!

I love the diagram, I've ran in the same problem in the past and I didn't know which was which ,so I just rented the right tools.

CHEERS! this is amazing.
    Last edited by lineboring.org; 02-09-2011 at 06:46 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by lineboring.org View Post
    I love the diagram, I've ran in the same problem in the past and I didn't know which was which ,so I just rented the right tools.

CHEERS! this is amazing.
    i finally got what i'm looking around, thk guys.. CHEER'S!

I just wanted to give kudos for this awesome thread on my first post. I am brand new to welding, and bought my first tig welder. I have been trying to figure this out but have been scared chitless I would destroy my $1,000 plus generator or my $1,000 tig welder.

Either is a bad outcome, but the image posted is absolutely perfect, and I can't thank you enough for it!

One question. In the picture you show using a receptacle. Can I simply use a 3 prong female plug attachment instead of a receptacle? What purpose (if any) does the receptacle serve?

Quote Originally Posted by chicagogunsmith View Post
    One question. In the picture you show using a receptacle. Can I simply use a 3 prong female plug attachment instead of a receptacle? What purpose (if any) does the receptacle serve?
    You can use a Plug most Box stores do not carry the 6-50 Female connector/plug.

They do carry Twist lock style connectors and such but not the 6-50

You can find them on line though

http://www.amazon.com/Hobart-770204-...ref=pd_cp_hi_0
    Ed Conley
    http://www.screamingbroccoli.net/
    MM252
    MM211
    Passport Plus & Spool gun
    TA 185
    Lincoln SP135 Plus- (Gone to a good home)
    Miller 125c Plasma 120v
    O/A set
    SO 2020 bender
    Beer in the fridge

I had a 3 wire laying around from an extension cord for an old Leister Hot Air welder. I went to home cheapo and got the plugs and connected as per your diagram. Tested my Everlast TIG last night on my Generac generator and all is well. Well, I didn't check the shield gas as I have to get that tomorrow. FWIW I checked to make sure the generac runs clean, and wouldn't harm my TIG.

I ended up getting 250v 30amp plugs

L14-30p male to connect to generator
    L6-30R at end of extension cord
    L6-30P for the end of the welder which came with no plug.

Quote Originally Posted by JMHAZ View Post
    Success:

Thanks for the advice, everyone!
    I just saw this post, reference 240 adapter plug for a generator. Since its been awhile how has this set up worked for you?

Setup worked for me as I described above. After an hour of welding I am deaf though, even with a 50' extension cord. I'm having 220 wired into my garage this weekend.