help please on hay bale heater
RSS | Subscribe | Contact Us | Advertise | About Us

help please on hay bale heater

Hello folks,
    I'm starting a New Zealand rabbit farm. I have a 40x100 barn for the rabbits. I have to keep it warm enough mainly to keep the water from frezing( around 45 or 50) I'm thinking of useing a hay bale heater. 6'x15'x1/4" pipe fire box with forced air on the fire on a thermastat 55 gallon drum as a heat reclamer. The only thing I do not understand is how to build the door.... It is going to be on the out side of a roon in the weather so I have to isulate it but still have it so it will easly open( so my wife can load the stove) How could I do this with out woarping and able to keep a seal and open enough to get a 4x5 rould bale in it. Thank-you..
    It does not matter how long, how much, or how you done it there is some one out there that knows more!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! (something I have learn the hard way)

Re: help please on hay bale heater

From the internet Google search HAY BALE HEATER.

AWS certified welding inspector
    AWS certified welder

From what I have learned from big doors is precision hinges that are well aligned can move mountains. Hinge design and size would be related to the weight of the door.

I would use a lot of strong backs welded to the door (flat bar) This will keep it flat and lower distortion. Stitch weld pattern.

For insulation, you probably would need that white blanket style insulation. It will not burn. (Silica Mate).
    Last edited by oxygen454; 02-08-2011 at 12:45 AM.

what kind of water trays will you have?..does the barn need to warm for any other reason? run a recurculation pump to keep the water runnung and not freezing

Pretty neat, never saw a heater that used hay as the fuel.

Ought to work good. I started my round bales on fire years ago when I was burning brush piles and the wind shifted. The bales burned/smoldered in layers for around 3 days.

Was quite a day........I called the fire department, they came and immediately suggested that I make a firebreak in the bale area. I have around from 150-300 round bales stored in a relatively small area near the dry lot.

While the fire doods hosed me down, I was able to stay on the tractor and remove enough bales to make the fire break. It was pretty weird, couldn't see in front of me as soon as I entered the smoke. And the water was real cold when it me. My loader tractor has no windows in the cab except for the windshield.

As it was, with the help of the fire guys, I only lost 60 bales to the fire.
    "Any day above ground is a good day"

As it was, with the help of the fire guys, I only lost 60 bales to the fire.

DOH
    Miller thunderbolt 250
    Decastar 135E
    Recovering tool-o-holic
    ESAB OA
    I have been interested or involved in Electrical, Fire Alarm, Auto, Marine, Welding, Electronics ETC to name a just a few. So YES you can own too many tools.

thank-you guts for the help... I'm traiding the rabbit dropings to a man tht is useing it on his hey fields and he is giving me the "junk" hay off a new field he bought... so free fuel...... I just have to get this heater to work and free heat.......The water system is a gravity fead.... KISS..... is my way
    It does not matter how long, how much, or how you done it there is some one out there that knows more!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! (something I have learn the hard way)

Quote Originally Posted by damiana rabbitry View Post
    thank-you guts for the help... I'm traiding the rabbit dropings to a man tht is useing it on his hey fields and he is giving me the "junk" hay off a new field he bought... so free fuel...... I just have to get this heater to work and free heat.......The water system is a gravity fead.... KISS..... is my way
    ok gravity feed , is it from a well pump or spring, if spring just let it run through a drain at end and have fresh water all the time, if from well then you dont want to waste all that water..

ps, dried rabbit poop burns real well too...almost like natures pellets for pellet stoves...no im not lidding

kidding

The water is coming from rual water supply. fill small tank with flat valve then grav to the cages

Quote Originally Posted by damiana rabbitry View Post
    The water is coming from rual water supply. fill small tank with flat valve then grav to the cages
    when you say rural water supply do you mean a spring or stream on your property?..I have a farm upstae NY and have many water sauces that flow year round and can gravity feed the barn so the water will never freeze..

I'm getting water from the county water company... hate to but my well went bad... water test said that it is not fit for aniamals

The Farm Show magazine has had several articles in the last year or so about home made bale heaters. Some of the articles probably gave a phone # to contact the builder.

mmmmmmm bbq rabbit