Shop Drawings?
RSS | Subscribe | Contact Us | Advertise | About Us

Thread: Shop Drawings?

Shop Drawings?

I'm a small time structural steel fabricator and am having problems bidding jobs because of the fact of producing shop drawings at the end. I don't understand why architects need them if you are doing exactly what they propose. I am capable of making them, but have not found a better way then the time consuming pencil and grid paper. Are there any inexpensive, simple programs for the computer that you have had success with? I am not very diligent with computers but know the basics. If anyone has advice i appreciate it.

Re: Shop Drawings?

Google sketchup is free and easy to learn/use. Once you're proficient its way faster and more professional than pencil and pad. There are many video tutorials. Check it out, maybe it will fit your needs.

Call a detailer company. I get my shop drawings from $100 to $300 per page. They are done by people who know what they are doing and come with PE stamps. I always include shop drawings as an addtional line item, not part of the bid price. Either the customers provides them or pays for them.
    Lincoln
    300 Vantage 2008
    300 Commander 1999
    SA250 1999
    SA200 1968

Miller
    Syncrowave 200
    XMT350MPA/S-52E/xr-15
    Xtreme 12vs
    Millermatic 251 w/30A
    Millermatic 251
    Dialarc 250

Hypertherm 1250
    GEKA & Bantom Ironwokers

Back when I was working with architects they had no problem with just making a copy of the details you were going to fabricate on your own letterhead and re-submitting them.

Shop drawings are a way for you to make more profit on the project if you can come up with a way to do the same job for less - but then you will take on responsibility. If you just re-submit the details they made you are only responsible for making the parts to the print provided.

Definitely don't leave that out of your bid cost. How are they submitting things to you for bid if they don't know what they want exactly?
    That could be a bid disaster.

just part of the paper trail. Better suggestions are already given....just another one is to post in the wanted section of CL
    Weldanpower 225 G7
    Ironworkers Local #24

You said structural steel so there are some cautions with drawings. A drawing is a legal document which comes with liability.

It would be best to find an engineering firm that you can partner with. They will be familiar with the legalities and also produce professional quality drawings. A P.E. stamp is important but it won't get stamped if the design is not sound.

If you are dealing with real architects the design should already be validated and they should have provided drawings "for construction". Sounds like what they want from you are "as built" drawings. It is important that these be accurate. Any variation from the construction drawings can place a lot of liability on you.

If the client balks at the price of a set of real drawings beware. In that case it would probably be better to provide them the information and let them produce the drawings themselves. Which they should be able to do if they are architects.

Al
    A man is judged by what's between his legs...always ride a good horse

Miller DialArc HF
    Lincoln Classic 300D
    Thermal Arc 181i
    Powermax 45
    Scotchman Ironworker
    (2) Bridgeports
    Okomota Surface Grinder
    AutoCAD 2010

Quote Originally Posted by Chrs View Post
    Google sketchup is free and easy to learn/use. Once you're proficient its way faster and more professional than pencil and pad. There are many video tutorials. Check it out, maybe it will fit your needs.
    what he said. Sketchup does have a steep learning curve but once you figure it out you'll be miles ahead in terms of time saved. It is also nice that you have the dimensions of *everything* without having to calculate something on the fly. Nothing is worse than burning a couple hours adding 2" extensions on to a dozen pieces or so because you weren't thinking clearly when you cut them. Don't ask how I know.
    ars sine scientia nihil est

A shop drawing is a drawing or set of drawings produced by the contractor, supplier, manufacturer, subcontractor, or fabricator Shop drawings are typically required for pre-fabricated components. Examples of these include: elevators, structural steel, trusses, pre-cast, windows, appliances, cabinets, air handling units, and millwork. Also critical are the installation and coordination shop drawings of the MEP trades such as sheet metal duct work, piping, plumbing, fire protection, and electrical.