Re: Welding Hats

Thanks

Hey, Tim....

Here's material for the next hat..
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Quote Originally Posted by Insaneride View Post
    Those soft tapes can stretch. I would use string or actually, I used 14 gauge stranded wire.

BTW Timmy, my hat fits, got it today. I should add a quarter inch next time but its good.
    Well dang! That one was 3/8ths wider than the measurement you gave me, I thought it was gonna be too big! You might be able to stretch it some by putting both hands inside and popping outward, working your way around...

Quote Originally Posted by 7A749 View Post
    Hey, Tim....

Here's material for the next hat..
    if that's what you want...

Quote Originally Posted by TimmyTIG View Post
    if that's what you want...
    I have prettier stuff, but I'm not cutting up one of my dresses to make a hat

Quote Originally Posted by johnrbauer View Post
    I don't know how to say this but I will try. I use a steel tape with number side to my head it raps around my head pretty well. Hope I got it write.
    If you don't have a soft tape, you can use a shoestring, most people have one of those around. You could even use a phone charger cable or extension cord. You need something that'll lay flat, just don't pull it real tight.

I have prettier stuff, but I'm not cutting up one of my dresses to make a hat
    lol

Got your message, went out and got a proper tape. PM'd you back. Thanks.
    Then after seeing what everyone was saying here, I re-measured a few more times just to be sure, and sent you another PM with a slight change in measurement, to make it a bit looser.
    Hope I got it right.
    antique Craftsman oxy-acetylene rig
    Airco DIP-PAK 200
    Hypertherm Powermax 30 XP
    'original' Millermatic 211 w/spool gun
    2015 AHP AlphaTig 200X

OK Dave, I'll get on it. Thanks for the business.

Another happy customer!
    Attached Images Attached Images  

I guess this means I'm not getting bannt.

That pic would be good on the Welding Hats Emporium facebook page.

I guess this means I'm not getting bannt.

That pic would be good on the Welding Hats Emporium facebook page.
    It already is on your FB page. It didn't post as a pic tho. Copy and paste it if it doesn't load under my two comments.

It already is on your FB page. It didn't post as a pic tho. Copy and paste it if it doesn't load under my two comments.
    Done!

Tim,

Your cabeza must be much more of a prolate spheroid than mine because wow, that's a lot of hat for my mellon. Got a local gal who's going to try and make some mods to it for me. Will try and get a picture to show you how it fits in the next day or so. I've got to get some relief cut out of it above the eye's so it won't always be pushing down on my glasses. Probably also going to have about an inch taken off the length of the bill and a little more radius added to the corners of it so it doesn't "wing out" so much.

Don't get me wrong, it feels great on the head. It's a serious head glove. Circumference wise it's spot on.

Here's the best I can do for now picture wise.

Name:  welding cap 001.jpg
Views: 285
Size:  19.8 KB
    Last edited by HT2-4956; 05-30-2015 at 12:12 PM.

Sorry about that, Dave, I never made one of those before. I'll send your money back and write it off to a learning experience. I hope you can get it fixed.

That's the thing that worries me about selling these mail order hats. Everybody wears their hat a little different, and everybody's head is different. I like them with a little headroom, because the crown tends to tighten up after you wash it a few times. But that one is clearly way too deep.

That pic reminds me of a GF we had in Alaska, he would stand up in front of everybody and give the safety meeting with his hat like that, it was hilarious. You couldn't even see his eyes.

I guess I need something like a mannequin head for every different size of hat.

Sorry about that, Dave, I never made one of those before. I'll send your money back and write it off to a learning experience. I hope you can get it fixed.

That's the thing that worries me about selling these mail order hats. Everybody wears their hat a little different, and everybody's head is different. I like them with a little headroom, because the crown tends to tighten up after you wash it a few times. But that one is clearly way too deep.

That pic reminds me of a GF we had in Alaska, he would stand up in front of everybody and give the safety meeting with his hat like that, it was hilarious. You couldn't even see his eyes.

You should make one for yourself and make adjustments based off your own head and find a way to scale to per size or someone elses head. Not sure if it would work but its and idea.
    Miller Maxstar 200 SD
    Piperliner #10 Gold

Quote Originally Posted by smilexelectric View Post
    You should make one for yourself and make adjustments based off your own head and find a way to scale to per size or someone elses head. Not sure if it would work but its and idea.
    That's what I'm doing now. I have a template that I use to make the panels. I downsize them on the two sides to get the different circumference right. Then I take that much off the bottom to allow for the crown to be shorter. I also took an extra eighth of an inch off the bottom of the last batch to shorten up the crown some, but obviously that wasn't enough.
    The depth of the crown is the hardest part. Some people like a deep crown, some people want it snug on the top of their head. Certainly you can't have the brim down over your eyes, though.

That's what I'm doing now. I have a template that I use to make the panels. I downsize them on the two sides to get the different circumference right. Then I take that much off the bottom to allow for the crown to be shorter. I also took an extra eighth of an inch off the bottom of the last batch to shorten up the crown some, but obviously that wasn't enough.
    The depth of the crown is the hardest part. Some people like a deep crown, some people want it snug on the top of their head. Certainly you can't have the brim down over your eyes, though.
    Pshhh, who needs to be able to see anyways.
    Miller Maxstar 200 SD
    Piperliner #10 Gold

It depends on how you measure to.

Tim,

No need to send my money back. Considering it's the first attempt at developing a new style of welding hat I'm pretty happy with what I got for it. I should be meeting with my sewing lady here in a couple of hours. I'll keep you posted on what we come up with. At this point I don't think it's going to take her much to get it like I'm wanting it.

Just think'n out loud here but when it comes to getting the dimensions of some one's head to help insure a proper hat fit "depth wise" how about the distance from the top of one ear (where it joins the head) across the top and down to the same point on the other side? Just measured my melon that way and got 13".

The solution to making this hat more like I wanted it was way simply-er than I thought it was going to be. Basically just had some taken off the bill. Now I can slide it back on my head so the front edge rides comfortably right above my eyebrows with out having a scrunched up bit on top. Notice the sides have been shaved back a bit also. That's keeping it off the side arms of my spectacles more (which I like better). Still have a little bit of a scrunched up area at the base of my neck but it's well below where the back of my welding hood head gear rides so shouldn't cause any discomfort. Gonna test drive it hard all this week starting first thing Monday morning.

Name:  welding cap mod 001.jpg
Views: 250
Size:  66.1 KB
    Last edited by HT2-4956; 05-31-2015 at 04:39 PM.

I tell you what, try it out this coming week and get it where you like it, then send me some measurements and I'll send you another one that's not all chopped up.

I can take some off the crown, too, if you like.

I'll work on that crown measurement. You want it all the way snug on top of your head? In my experience, that crown shrinks up some after you wash it about 6 or 8 times. You want to leave a little bit of slack up top to allow for that.
    I think that's about the last detail I need to get a handle on. I made Docwelder's first hat too tall, too, but he says I got it right on the second go round.
    I expected there to be some bumps in the road trying to get this thing going, and I really appreciate you guys having the patience with me to work through it. It's kinda like trying to learn how to weld in some respects, you aren't gonna get everything perfect right out the gate. Might have to make a repair now and then

This finally came in yesterday:

Name:  100_1410.jpg
Views: 233
Size:  142.5 KB