Welding Hats - Page 4
RSS | Subscribe | Contact Us | Advertise | About Us
Page 4 of 13 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Welding Hats

Re: Welding Hats

I just threw this little beanie type hat together, just to see. So, my head measures 13 inches across the top from ear to ear. This hat is 13-1/2 inches.

The ones I make for myself are 15-1/2 inches, and when you turn them to the side they really grab your head, I guess because you can pull them down further. When you put your hood on, the hat stays put. This little thing slides all around on my head with the bill over my left ear, the way I always wear them. It's sticks much better with the bill straight back.

Name:  100_1410.jpg
Views: 267
Size:  64.0 KB
    Name:  100_1413.jpg
Views: 265
Size:  62.0 KB
    Name:  100_1417.jpg
Views: 265
Size:  72.7 KB

I want one.

Gonna send that material out to you this week Tim.

How do you wear yours, Steve? Bill to the side or straight back?

I have been wearing this one with the bill forward and flipped up as a hat, when I put my hood on, I spin it around with the Bill down. I'll have to experiment with it at an angle and see how it works.

Either way. It's insanely comfortable and not too loose or too tight.

I like it a lot

You may want to consider having some premade small embroidered cloth tags made up with your company name on them. Just a thin sewn in label so ppl know who made them. It would be a super neat professional touch.
    Last edited by 7A749; 06-02-2015 at 09:48 PM.

Yeah, I need to get around to that next.

I always used to cut those labels off when I was buying Comeaux caps.

I dunno where, but I'm sure there's companies that specifically do that. It's just like the decals I have made. They really make my stuff look good and it's free advertisement too.

Your hats are way too nice not to have them

Quote Originally Posted by TimmyTIG View Post
    I always used to cut those labels off when I was buying Comeaux caps.
    I could never get one of those to fit on my head good. They were either too tight or too loose.

That and the bands were too thick. Your hat has the best of a true welders hat and a thin production type beanie. I hardly know it's on my head and not really being a hat guy, I like that a lot.

Well, I appreciate the ringing endorsement! I took your advice and just ordered up some labels. I also hired a professional model.

Name:  100_1415.jpg
Views: 249
Size:  53.0 KB
    Last edited by TimmyTIG; 06-02-2015 at 11:47 PM.

w00t!
    Name:  icm_fullxfull.61597903_fhqu6ifmdtcs0oswo0cg.jpg
Views: 246
Size:  80.0 KB
    Last edited by TimmyTIG; 06-03-2015 at 08:01 AM.

I think that looks pretty good Tim. You could use a surge stitch to sew it on. Something thin like that won't bind up under head gear either.

I just figure it will really make them stand out.
    Last edited by 7A749; 06-03-2015 at 08:06 AM.

They'll go in between the bill and the crown when I sew them together, and hang down just like in that picture.

Spongebob for Docwelder - one side is all Spongebob, the other side has two sky dot panels for a little variety.

Name:  100_1418.jpg
Views: 240
Size:  57.7 KB
    Name:  100_1420.jpg
Views: 236
Size:  60.2 KB

Spongebob and WHODAT! shipping out today.
    Name:  100_1416.jpg
Views: 228
Size:  69.4 KB
    Name:  100_1418.jpg
Views: 228
Size:  79.1 KB
    Name:  100_1415.jpg
Views: 227
Size:  62.5 KB
    Name:  100_1421.jpg
Views: 226
Size:  75.7 KB

As it turns out my theory behind wanting a big billed welding hat to keep both ears (and more of the back of the neck) fully covered has a major flaw. I didn't realize it until now but your "ears" also serve as "cooling fins" for your head. And keeping them both covered up fully really degrades there efficiency.

That does present a problem.

You need a Vortec Personal AC like I use down here in the coastal marsh. Hot sumbitch here today.

I wonder if there's a way you could make the flap around the ears removeable?

Or at least, button or Velcro it out of the way when it's hot? In the winter time, I think that Wild Bill hat would be great for cold outdoor work. When I was working on the farm, one of the places we did work for had a completely exposed holding pen and the wind often came out of the west, across a large cornfield. It would cut thru you like a knife and when it was below zero, that was no fun at all working out there.

That hat would have been great for that kind of work. Keep your parts covered up and still provide a welding hat you could don a thicker one over easily once you took your hood off.

Might have to look at having you make me a modded version of it Tim.

Think I'll have to have you make one for my son too. He digs the RR dots!

Quote Originally Posted by HT2-4956 View Post
    As it turns out my theory behind wanting a big billed welding hat to keep both ears (and more of the back of the neck) fully covered has a major flaw. I didn't realize it until now but your "ears" also serve as "cooling fins" for your head. And keeping them both covered up fully really degrades there efficiency.
    I wonder if sewing in one of those cooling bandanas would help to alleviate some of the heat issue.

http://www.grainger.com/category/hea...ecatalog/N-k48

No government ever voluntarily reduces itself in size. Government programs, once launched, never disappear. Actually, a government bureau is the nearest thing to eternal life we'll ever see on this earth!

Ronald Reagan

Quote Originally Posted by 7A749 View Post
    I wonder if there's a way you could make the flap around the ears removeable?

Or at least, button or Velcro it out of the way when it's hot? In the winter time, I think that Wild Bill hat would be great for cold outdoor work. When I was working on the farm, one of the places we did work for had a completely exposed holding pen and the wind often came out of the west, across a large cornfield. It would cut thru you like a knife and when it was below zero, that was no fun at all working out there.

That hat would have been great for that kind of work. Keep your parts covered up and still provide a welding hat you could don a thicker one over easily once you took your hood off.

Might have to look at having you make me a modded version of it Tim.

Think I'll have to have you make one for my son too. He digs the RR dots!
    Mom made a few hats with fleece, they were pretty nice. I don't really need them much now that I'm in hell.

Quote Originally Posted by DSW View Post
    I wonder if sewing in one of those cooling bandanas would help to alleviate some of the heat issue.

http://www.grainger.com/category/hea...ecatalog/N-k48
    Oh that's gonna cost more fer sure.

Of course if he'd left the hat oversized, he could have just worn one of those underneath. You planned it that way right, knowing he'd get too hot otherwise.

No government ever voluntarily reduces itself in size. Government programs, once launched, never disappear. Actually, a government bureau is the nearest thing to eternal life we'll ever see on this earth!

Ronald Reagan

Quote Originally Posted by TimmyTIG View Post
    Mom made a few hats with fleece, they were pretty nice. I don't really need them much now that I'm in hell
    Even the unlined one like you made Dave would be nice to keep the wind off your face, neck and ears. That was one thing I never liked about those Comeaux hats, they were too thick. I sent that material to you Thursday. You should get it next week.

Quote Originally Posted by 7A749 View Post
    Even the unlined one like you made Dave would be nice to keep the wind off your face, neck and ears. That was one thing I never liked about those Comeaux hats, they were too thick. I sent that material to you Thursday. You should get it next week.
    I'll keep an eye out, one (or more?) pajama hat coming up!

I will keep an eye out for other interesting patterns.

I would just sacrifice an old dress, but that stretchy material catches fire and burns like a mutha.

I'm having a raffle for a free hat to celebrate my one month anniversary. Anyone interested needs to sign up on my Facebook hat page, one catch...you have to "like" the page to enter.

https://www.facebook.com/weldinghatman

Already did it. Hopefully I win!