light gauge with stick welding
RSS | Subscribe | Contact Us | Advertise | About Us

light gauge with stick welding

Hi, Everyone I"m another new member to your forum with a question I"m a fairly decent farmer welder but all my welding experience has been with ac stick welders I was thinking about buying a mig to weld light material tractor cabs etc then I was looking at lincoln literature on the D C invertec v155-s and wondered if they could weld light gauge with stick welding It says they produce from 5 to 150 amps DC and they can be powered by a generator So that could be handy on a farm I would surely appreciate any coments or advice Is mig a better option ? probably cost less ? but that small lincoln would be a nice handy machine I look forward to hearing anyones experance on this. Thanks Josey

Re: light gauge with stick welding

I had similar questions and frustration trying to well light gauge stuff with a stick welder. I tried very small rods like 1/32 -- still got burn through on a fairly regular basis. Bought a 110 volt Lincoln mig welder and I've really enjoyed the experience. Just bought some 24 gauge sheet to try this weekend. This will be the thinest stuff so far,but I think I'll be successful. I did buy the higher end machine with infinite wire speed (amp) control.

mig welding is great! I use the stick for the heavy stuff that the light duty (110 volt) isn't meant to do.

Bob

the stick can work on light gauge, try changing the polarity to DCEN if you are using a DC machine and the rod will burn cooler
    Steve Hot Rod Hooligan

Miller Maxstar 200 STR
    Campbell Housfeld Flux Core 80

It can be done easily....with tons of practice that is. I have taught two members here to weld 16ga with a 3/32 6011 and 6010....even with 1/8 and have zero burn thru.
    QamuIs Heg qaq law' lorvIs yInqaq puS

Stick welding thin material has a lot to do with the quality of power source being used.

If the Invertec v155-s can emulate the arc characteristics of a DC generator, I would say it would stick thin material, no problem.

Good Luck

Hi again, Thanks for all the replies, I see it can be done with a bit of know how :Could you explain your technique and what kind of welder you are using Maybe I could master it too? Thanks Josey.

Quote Originally Posted by caldwellcpl View Post
    I had similar questions and frustration trying to well light gauge stuff with a stick welder. I tried very small rods like 1/32 -- still got burn through on a fairly regular basis. Bought a 110 volt Lincoln mig welder and I've really enjoyed the experience. Just bought some 24 gauge sheet to try this weekend. This will be the thinest stuff so far,but I think I'll be successful. I did buy the higher end machine with infinite wire speed (amp) control.

mig welding is great! I use the stick for the heavy stuff that the light duty (110 volt) isn't meant to do.

Bob
    HI, Bob How did Your mig handle the 24 gauge material? What make of welder did you buy?

For 16 ga, I start at 55-56a DCEN and go from there with a 3/32 6010 or 6011. You have to move quickly and whip. It takes some practice, but can be learned.

Denrep, the technique will transcend any machine quality. I learned and did quite a bit of this with a red tombstone and a Miller T'bolt. Machine quality doesn't mean a thing if you don't know how to do it.;....then once you know how to do it, the machine type won't matter. You simply adapt to the machine's arc.

do you mean what model welder? he states he bought a lincoln.
    225NT bobcat
    AEAD200LE
    Scott 125
    mm175, mm252 w 30A, PT225
    mm211, TA 181i
    Hyper Therm 380, cut master 52
    9100X & XX, Digital Elite
    6 Victor sets
    smith little torch, meco midget
    kalamazoo band saw
    steel max saw
    evoulution circular saw

Quote Originally Posted by DDA52 View Post
    For 16 ga, I start at 55-56a DCEN and go from there with a 3/32 6010 or 6011. You have to move quickly and whip. It takes some practice, but can be learned.

Denrep, the technique will transcend any machine quality. I learned and did quite a bit of this with a red tombstone and a Miller T'bolt. Machine quality doesn't mean a thing if you don't know how to do it.;....then once you know how to do it, the machine type won't matter. You simply adapt to the machine's arc.
    have you tried 1/16" 6013 @ 25-30 amps dc+? never tried it with dc-. guess i'll have to give that a shot. thanks for the tip.....jim
    225NT bobcat
    AEAD200LE
    Scott 125
    mm175, mm252 w 30A, PT225
    mm211, TA 181i
    Hyper Therm 380, cut master 52
    9100X & XX, Digital Elite
    6 Victor sets
    smith little torch, meco midget
    kalamazoo band saw
    steel max saw
    evoulution circular saw

Quote Originally Posted by jbmprods View Post
    have you tried 1/16" 6013 @ 25-30 amps dc+? never tried it with dc-. guess i'll have to give that a shot. thanks for the tip.....jim
    I have used them a long time ago and never ever came close to liking them. I really don't like any 6013. 7014 is ok, but for sheet, all I ever needed was a 6010/11.

Quote Originally Posted by DDA52 View Post
    It can be done easily....with tons of practice that is. I have taught two members here to weld 16ga with a 3/32 6011 and 6010....even with 1/8 and have zero burn thru.
    This is the process we used back when i worked for a shop manufacturing industrial ovens lincoln tomb stone dc using 3/32 and 1/8 electrodes 6010 and 6011 even did the corner joints like this with the 16 gauge everything had to be free of pinholes cause if you got a pin hole it would build a pool of water on top of the oven from the steam releasing . the ovens were 14 ft wide 10ft tall and about 50 feet long some where bigger

I would start my puddle and whip it
    Last edited by WeldorWes; 03-05-2011 at 03:20 AM.
    Smith Gas Mixer AR/H
    Tig is my Kung Fu
    Throwing down dimes and weaving about
    Welding Engineer
    Instagram http://instagram.com/weldor_wes

Why not just use OA? It's more versatile and is very easy to use on sheetmetal.

In my case, it was not an approved process for galv sheet and it was highly impractical as we were doing multi story curtain wall work. My guess it would also have been way too slow.

I regularly weld 18 ga with a lincoln hobby welder. I have pictures of some 14 ga tubing on here somewhere. the thing with sheet metal you want to start with the edge and carry the heat into the panel where there is a larger heat sink area. I will see if i can find those pictures.

here they are. you will notice I started at the edge and carried the weld to the center. some have commented on them before about doing it in one pass. I am not saying it can't be done, but you run too big of a chance of blowing the edge due to carrying too much heat. A comple of simple rules in welding sheet and you will be golden. Start on the edge, don't carry too much heat, and balance your welds to minimize warpage.

Quote Originally Posted by Josey View Post
    HI, Bob How did Your mig handle the 24 gauge material? What make of welder did you buy?
    Sorry for the delay -- missed the follow-up. I bought a Lincoln SP135 plus. The "plus" gives you infinite wire speed settings rather than just 4 tap settings.

I have not started project with the 24 gauge yet, but I'm sure it will be just fine -- just take some practice getting the right amount of "heat" to get penetration without blowout. Will require most likely multiple small, short passes to avoid heat build up.

Quote Originally Posted by caldwellcpl View Post

Bob
    Look into some of the Fill-Freeze rods. I use 3/32 7014 for light gauge metal, and I run it cold. The celluloid flux is good for an easy restrike. It deposits faster than 7018, and freezes faster too. And it doesnt penetrate like a 6010 or 6011.
    The welding shop has some 1/16 inch rods that may work too, although in my shop none of them have AWS codes on them, so who knows what they are. Dont be scared to hold the arc long enough to make a puddle...pull out before you blow through. A series of overlaping puddle spot welds would be my way to go.