Best cure for Welder Flash. - Page 3
RSS | Subscribe | Contact Us | Advertise | About Us
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Re: Best cure for Welder Flash.

I have been welding all my adult life. Never had welders flash any worse than seeing spots for a few minutes. One time I thought I had it. Went to an eye doctor and he said what eye is bothering you . I told him my right eye. He said there is no way it is welding flash or it would be in both eyes. He looked in my eye and found a tiny piece of slag that was so small I could hardly see it in the clothe after he took it out.

When I was in welding class my teacher gave use one hard and fast rule. Never, ever weld without some kind of clear glasses on under your helmet. He told use that clear glass reflects 70% of the harmful rays from welding. This is even more important if you are welding in a group, where people are lifting their helmets at different times. So IMHO the best cure for welder flash is to not get it. I am here to tell you the advice my teacher gave me is some of the best advise I ever got.

The last time I was flash burned my eye doctor called in a prescription. The tube of salve he prescribed worked instantly and I was back to work in minutes. I just don't remember what the product was called.

Roy

Around 1970 my younger brother took a summer job as a welder's helper. On the first day in the evening he began to complain about his eyes. My dad contacted the welder he'd been working with and he had us take a clean kitchen wash rag and wrap it around a chunk of potato and mash up with a hammer. Then take the wrap and squeeze a few drops on each closed eye and have him lift his eyelids up a tad to let some of the liquid in. 15 minutes later he was asleep.

few simple measures are dilating drops used to relax eye muscles. Get your eyes covered with padded dressing to help them heal. Abstain from driving with eye patch.
    Potato is another easy or effective remedy for welder flash. Its cooling effect helps in reducing the pain and inflammation.

have worked as steamfitter all my life worst flash i got was welding 30 inch heavy wall hot reheat pipeing in power house using diametric equiment .045 wire 290 amps over 260 to 280amps i got flashed by reflection in back of hood when in a jam i use vicks vaper rub it does work hurts like hell at first but takes the pain away after 3-5 min under the eye and on eye lid but the best thing is not to get it in first place! sun glasses on under hood if welding with a partner etc just using the head

Several have mentioned ADH as the problem, but all I have seen or heard about have UV protection even if the ADH is turned off. Reflection from the back is the most likely problem if you have a ADH. I got my eyes snow blinded one winter day driving into the evening sun with reflections off wet pavement and snow cover. (Unusual in Knoxville) and ended up in the ER in the middle of the night, I knew the doctor and he asked if I had been welding and told about the driving conditions that caused it.