Best cure for Welder Flash. - Page 2
RSS | Subscribe | Contact Us | Advertise | About Us
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 26 to 50 of 56
  1. #26
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    In A Nice Comfy Chair
    Posts
    19,012

    Re: Best cure for Welder Flash.

    Quote Originally Posted by Gerry1964 View Post
    Are you serious? would this stop it happening in the evening and end up getting it during the day at work??

    I am dead serious!
    Try it sometime!
    I have yet to have the symptoms of eye flash..All because of flourecent lights.
    And trust me I wear a fixed shade lens and flashing yourself is pretty easy sometimes..

    I did not believe it either but....Yep! it works..


    ...zap!


    I am not completely insane..
    Some parts are missing

    Professional Driver on a closed course....
    Do not attempt.

    Just because I'm a dumbass don't mean that you can be too.
    So DON'T try any of this **** l do at home.

  2. #27
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Ontario
    Posts
    139

    Re: Best cure for Welder Flash.

    Ever since I got my auto darkening helmet, I haven't had welders flash.

  3. #28
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Queens, NY
    Posts
    609

    Re: Best cure for Welder Flash.

    The only time I've gotten a flash bad enough to bother me at night was when my father was welding aluminum nearby for a few hours with the spool gun. I didn't get a direct flash all day, but I suppose the reflection got me. I used eye drops that nights and went right back to sleep.

    Now if there's ever a weldor nearby I wear safety glasses under my shield.

    Hopefully I never need to try the potato trick, but it's good to know.
    IW Local 580 NY, NY

  4. #29
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Posts
    70

    Re: Best cure for Welder Flash.

    Another thing that helps to relieve the discomfort is to put a dab of vicks vapo-rub on the cheek bone below the eye. The fumes from the vicks make the eyes fill with tears and lubricates them. A flash actually burns tiny craters in the eye and the inside of the eye lid is rough textured and this irritates the eye and gives the feeling of sand in the eyes.I have used this method and it works.

  5. #30
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Australia, Big Volcano.
    Posts
    8,262

    Re: Best cure for Welder Flash.

    Quote Originally Posted by zapster View Post
    I am dead serious!
    Try it sometime!
    I have yet to have the symptoms of eye flash..All because of flourecent lights.
    And trust me I wear a fixed shade lens and flashing yourself is pretty easy sometimes..

    I did not believe it either but....Yep! it works..


    ...zap!

    Wish I'd known that back in '74.....Still, I haven't suffered arc eye since and, don't intend to either.....
    ...
    *********************************
    Samson 510 CNC plasma table
    Hypertherm 85
    Broken quality welders and equipment.
    Another bunch of cheap arse replacements.

    "You don't stop laughing when you get old....You get old when you stop laughing".

  6. #31
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Western Pennsylvania
    Posts
    345

    Re: Best cure for Welder Flash.

    I tried out the potato one but it won't work for me. I must be doing something wrong.

    Attached Images Attached Images  

  7. #32
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Inkster, Mi
    Posts
    678

    Re: Best cure for Welder Flash.

    I got flashed once and hope it never happens again if I can help it. That's why I bought what I'm wearing in my avatar picture. It's tough squeezing your head with a shield in a tight spot, that hood helps my big head fit better.
    Will Supports Autism Awareness
    My Toys
    BobCat 225 PLus
    Millermatic 130
    Miller Spectrum 300 Cutmate
    Everlast Power Tig 185 Micro

    April is Autism Month .

  8. #33
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    East Van BC
    Posts
    1,119

    Re: Best cure for Welder Flash.

    Quote Originally Posted by zapster View Post
    If you flash yourself and think that the dreaded "Sand Eye" will happen...


    If there are florescent lights overhead just stare at the light for a minute.
    Problem solved now back to work.

    No joke either.

    ...zap!
    Darned if the Zapster isn't right! I got flashed and remembered the light trick, the spot you're seeing fades into a soft blob, and gone.
    SqWave 200
    Millermatic 190
    Airco 200 AC
    Hypertherm PM45
    Boice-Crane Band Saw
    Victor O/A

  9. #34
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Massachusetts
    Posts
    114

    Re: Best cure for Welder Flash.

    Quote Originally Posted by zapster View Post
    I am dead serious!
    Try it sometime!
    I have yet to have the symptoms of eye flash..All because of flourecent lights.
    And trust me I wear a fixed shade lens and flashing yourself is pretty easy sometimes..

    I did not believe it either but....Yep! it works..


    ...zap!
    I've tried it... it works.
    When he first told me i thought he was just screwing with me. But, no joke, it works.
    Quote Originally Posted by zapster View Post
    You wanted to be the welder.

    ...zap

  10. #35
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Oregon
    Posts
    629

    Re: Best cure for Welder Flash.

    You do not get pin holes burned in your eye when you get a flash.The intense ultraviolet makes the microscopic Cilia that covers the surface of your eye, to curl and kink so that they do not do their job any more. the reason they are there is they keep the surface of the eye lubricated with water from the tear ducts. You should ask your doctor about these things. The worst flash I ever got was soldering a radiator with a carbon arc torch. It was such a little tiny arc that I thought there was no need to wear a helmet. I ran it for a big part of an hour. and spent the next three days with my eyes covered... Mac

  11. #36

    Re: Best cure for Welder Flash.

    Quote Originally Posted by Boozer View Post
    Ive had welder flash more time than i want to rememeber. Im giving you my solution for it. I think i tried it all and by far this works the best for me. When i wake up in the middle of the night, and it doesnt' take long for me to realize what i have. (Gasoline and Sand in my eyes) Ill take a small raw potato, cut it in half, and place the cut edges against my eyelids, then tie a washcloth, towel, sock, whatever to hold them there. The coolness helps to take away the pain, and the potato does something to relubicate my eyes. It usually takes me about an hour to fall back asleep, but my eyes feel alot better in the AM.
    Ive tried Visine, and next to a late night trip to the ER, this is the best remidy ivy found.
    Recently, I was working on a project, had the visor up, there was a snag in my lead, so while trying to untangle it, "ARC", not 2ft from my face. So, w/out a doubt, my eyes were flashed. With a solution of hyaluronic acid and some distilled water, I tried to prevent my eyes from becoming blistered. I would say the solution was 10%-30% hyaluronic acid. I applied the solution directly into my eyes. I also mixed some hyaluronic acid and some Nature's Gate Papaya Lotion together and put the lotion directly into my eyes and on my eyelids. I could smell the burnt skin on my eyes, smelled like burnt hair or skin..

    It worked, it worked well, actually. My eyes were not burnt, not sensitive at all, really. I don't think that doing nothing is the answer, as some posters suggested. When your eyes are flashed, your skin gets burned, like a sunburn. Which dries out the skin, which "can" cause the eye to blister. So, in theory a lotion, would be the best, "applicable solution", to prevent and treat irritation and or damage. Normal eye drops are saline and or a saline solution, some may contain hyaluronic acid, but I would say less than .01 or 1%, which is "Not" applicable here. Hyaluronic acid retains x 1k it's weight in moisture, so it would be better than any lotion, especially in the eye. The type used was Vegan/Organic, as was the Lotion, so as not to be concerned with irritants or infection. I would be hesitant about using tap water or spring water, because it may contain chlorine, which would be an irritant. only distilled water would be suited for this purpose or intended use.
    T

    I am not a licensed doctor, so keep that in mind, before you take a chance with your eyes or your health, however this method worked, personally. It was cheaper than a doctors visit and for someone who welds everyday, a solution of hyaluronic acid and water, my prevent daily damage and prevent cataracts and vision loss in the future?? However, it hasn't been tested, to my knowledge by the FDA, to treat or cure welder's burn and or arc flash.

    I visited this forum, after the injury occurred, looking for a solution, a remedy, and potatoes were the only real advice or treatment that was mentioned. Therefore, after having been faced with the injury, the level or degree of concern for my eyes and my health, and after having derived the "Aruyvedic remedy" for the injury, I opted to post my findings to this message board. If anything, to assist someone else out there, who my be just as concerned as I was, after having been injured welding.
    Last edited by DukeXavior; 01-22-2016 at 04:18 PM. Reason: Emojies did not work. Reduntant sentence.

  12. #37
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Laredo, Tx
    Posts
    3,533

    Re: Best cure for Welder Flash.

    Quote Originally Posted by zapster View Post
    I am dead serious!
    Try it sometime!
    I have yet to have the symptoms of eye flash..All because of flourecent lights.
    And trust me I wear a fixed shade lens and flashing yourself is pretty easy sometimes..

    I did not believe it either but....Yep! it works..


    ...zap!
    Just curious----when/where/from who did you learn this trick?
    First person on WeldingWeb to have a scrolling signature!

    HTP Invertig221 D.V. Water-cooled
    Millermatic 211 Inverter MIG w/ Spoolmate 150
    Eastwood 40A Plasma cutter

  13. #38
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Indiana
    Posts
    1,525

    Re: Best cure for Welder Flash.

    There is a BIG difference between getting flashed and burning your eyes. The worst I ever got was plasma cutting stainless without safety glasses.
    The potato does work.
    Tim Beeker.

  14. #39
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    Arkansas
    Posts
    317

    Re: Best cure for Welder Flash.

    I got it bad several years back. Tried the potato trick with no relief. Someone else told my wife about the Vics vapor rub trick and I found it to be unbearable at first but soon it became real soothing. The only other time I got it was due to an AD helmet. I'll never wear another. I trust my self way more than some chinese battery or solar panel.

  15. #40
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    In A Nice Comfy Chair
    Posts
    19,012

    Re: Best cure for Welder Flash.

    Quote Originally Posted by Oscar View Post
    Just curious----when/where/from who did you learn this trick?
    Herbert T. Catalano.

    Owner operator of Monarch Machine from 1958 to his passing in 2004..
    Told me this in 1979.
    Smartest machinist / engineer you would ever meet.

    Still to this day I have never had that problem.
    And I don't think I want to experience it..


    Just don't blink...
    Takes 30..40 seconds...


    ...zap!


    I am not completely insane..
    Some parts are missing

    Professional Driver on a closed course....
    Do not attempt.

    Just because I'm a dumbass don't mean that you can be too.
    So DON'T try any of this **** l do at home.

  16. #41

    Re: Best cure for Welder Flash.

    Quote Originally Posted by DukeXavior View Post
    Recently, I was working on a project, had the visor up, there was a snag in my lead, so while trying to untangle it, "ARC", not 2ft from my face. So, w/out a doubt, my eyes were flashed. With a solution of hyaluronic acid and some distilled water, I tried to prevent my eyes from becoming blistered. I would say the solution was 10%-30% hyaluronic acid. I applied the solution directly into my eyes. I also mixed some hyaluronic acid and some Nature's Gate Papaya Lotion together and put the lotion directly into my eyes and on my eyelids. I could smell the burnt skin on my eyes, smelled like burnt hair or skin..

    It worked, it worked well, actually. My eyes were not burnt, not sensitive at all, really. I don't think that doing nothing is the answer, as some posters suggested. When your eyes are flashed, your skin gets burned, like a sunburn. Which dries out the skin, which "can" cause the eye to blister. So, in theory a lotion, would be the best, "applicable solution", to prevent and treat irritation and or damage. Normal eye drops are saline and or a saline solution, some may contain hyaluronic acid, but I would say less than .01 or 1%, which is "Not" applicable here. Hyaluronic acid retains x 1k it's weight in moisture, so it would be better than any lotion, especially in the eye. The type used was Vegan/Organic, as was the Lotion, so as not to be concerned with irritants or infection. I would be hesitant about using tap water or spring water, because it may contain chlorine, which would be an irritant. only distilled water would be suited for this purpose or intended use.
    T

    I am not a licensed doctor, so keep that in mind, before you take a chance with your eyes or your health, however this method worked, personally. It was cheaper than a doctors visit and for someone who welds everyday, a solution of hyaluronic acid and water, my prevent daily damage and prevent cataracts and vision loss in the future?? However, it hasn't been tested, to my knowledge by the FDA, to treat or cure welder's burn and or arc flash.

    I visited this forum, after the injury occurred, looking for a solution, a remedy, and potatoes were the only real advice or treatment that was mentioned. Therefore, after having been faced with the injury, the level or degree of concern for my eyes and my health, and after having derived the "Aruyvedic remedy" for the injury, I opted to post my findings to this message board. If anything, to assist someone else out there, who my be just as concerned as I was, after having been injured welding.


    3 Blind Mice?

  17. #42
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Laredo, Tx
    Posts
    3,533

    Re: Best cure for Welder Flash.

    Quote Originally Posted by zapster View Post
    Herbert T. Catalano.

    Owner operator of Monarch Machine from 1958 to his passing in 2004..
    Told me this in 1979.
    Smartest machinist / engineer you would ever meet.

    Still to this day I have never had that problem.
    And I don't think I want to experience it..


    Just don't blink...
    Takes 30..40 seconds...


    ...zap!
    Ah, very interesting. Year I was born, too. What a coincidence.
    First person on WeldingWeb to have a scrolling signature!

    HTP Invertig221 D.V. Water-cooled
    Millermatic 211 Inverter MIG w/ Spoolmate 150
    Eastwood 40A Plasma cutter

  18. #43
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    minnesota
    Posts
    1,858

    Re: Best cure for Welder Flash.

    Best cure I have found is is putting this thing on my head that completely covers my eyes while welding I think it is called a helmet or maybe it was a hood. All kidding aside the potato trick is nice to know. Worst case I ever had was a combination of plasma cutter flash and welder flash while helping a guy fab some aluminum box sides. Felt like someone poured a bucket of sand in my eyes followed by a rinse of pool water
    Millermatic 252
    millermatic 175
    miller 300 Thunderbolt
    lincoln ranger 250
    smith torches
    lots of bfh's
    If it dont fit get a bigger hammer

  19. #44
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    new york city
    Posts
    6,139

    Re: Best cure for Welder Flash.

    the best cure for welder's flash is an ounce of prevention
    i.u.o.e. # 15
    queens, ny and sunny fla

  20. #45
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    CT
    Posts
    2,049

    Re: Best cure for Welder Flash.

    It seems like whenever i switch my helmet to grind mode, I almost always forget to switch it back... usually it's followed by a very loud yell, and some self derision..... "stupid, I forgot the grind mode again"

    But next time that happens I'll try dutifully studying the fluorescent light fixtures for a few minutes

    I've used allergy eye drops before, they have antihistamines in them, which reduce inflammation, they help a lot.

  21. #46

    Re: Best cure for Welder Flash.

    After an employee told me what he read here, i had to join to make a reply since this is Google search results for welders eye burns. No offense, but this is some of the most ridiculous stuff I've ever read. As a 25 year fabrication shop owner, heavy mining welding company owner, & heavy diesel repair there's a simple solution to welders eye flash burn that WORKS. I keep "Clear eyes Cooling comfort" eye drops stocked at all of my shops, in every welding truck also. Simply add the eye drops, cover the eyes with a cold wet (not just damp) rag, and within minutes the grainy buring sensation is gone. With over 20 welders, 15 welding trucks, 5 heavy service trucks, 4 fabrications, diesel repair and machine shops - and nearly a million dollars in equipment, its what we factual professionals use daily. There's no voodoo needed.

  22. #47

    Re: Best cure for Welder Flash.

    Name:  20170528_115231.jpg
Views: 1124
Size:  86.8 KB Some of the equipment we weld daily. Clear eyes cooling comfort eye drops (no others just cooling comfort) is all we use.

  23. #48
    Join Date
    Jun 2016
    Location
    Not there
    Posts
    2,078

    Re: Best cure for Welder Flash.

    Mighty nice of you to stop by and help us hobby guys out.Hey ! I spent well over a million bucks on hookers and blow in the eighties ! Thats why I have to rip a hole in a couple pieces of white bread, lay down, put one over each eye socket, and fill the holes with milk for 10-15 minutes.
    Damn credit card keeps getting denied when I try to buy the Clear Eyes® stuff.I was gonna try to do the fluorolight trick but I cant afford to run the welder AND the light.

  24. #49
    Join Date
    Jul 2016
    Location
    Midwest
    Posts
    176

    Re: Best cure for Welder Flash.

    Quote Originally Posted by Boozer View Post
    Ive had welder flash more time than i want to rememeber. Im giving you my solution for it. I think i tried it all and by far this works the best for me. When i wake up in the middle of the night, and it doesnt' take long for me to realize what i have. (Gasoline and Sand in my eyes) Ill take a small raw potato, cut it in half, and place the cut edges against my eyelids, then tie a washcloth, towel, sock, whatever to hold them there. The coolness helps to take away the pain, and the potato does something to relubicate my eyes. It usually takes me about an hour to fall back asleep, but my eyes feel alot better in the AM.
    Ive tried Visine, and next to a late night trip to the ER, this is the best remidy ivy found.
    Just the potato juice is all you need. Easier said than done to get juice from a potato but the results are nearly instant. 3-5 drops in each eye and keep them closed. Soon you are good to go get flashed again.

  25. #50
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Livingston, New Jersey, United States
    Posts
    1,112

    Re: Best cure for Welder Flash.

    Quote Originally Posted by Rondo View Post
    Just the potato juice is all you need. Easier said than done to get juice from a potato but the results are nearly instant. 3-5 drops in each eye and keep them closed. Soon you are good to go get flashed again.
    I just slice the potato and put it slice on each eye. Works for me. Haven't had to use it in quite some time.
    John

    Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
RSS | Home | Penton Media | Contact Us | Subscribe | For Advertisers | Terms of Use | Privacy Statement