Becoming a CWI
RSS | Subscribe | Contact Us | Advertise | About Us

Thread: Becoming a CWI

Altitude - 5280, Latitude - 39.669017, Longitude - 104.897717

Becoming a CWI

So i got a promotion at work today! i am now in charge of our QA (quality assurance) department at my plant. i work for a structural steel company in denver co. i was in training all day with an QA inspector from our other plant. he will be taking his cwi test in a few months, which got me thinking. whats all involved in the getting your cwi, how much it cost, and whats the starting pay (approximately) very interested in this but really know nothing about it. any help??

thanks beags

p.s. also posted question in General Welding Questions

Re: Becoming a CWI

If you check the AWS website they can give you all the information about cost and requirements to take your CWI test. Pay varies depending on location and type of inspection work. Shop inspectors in my area start around mid to high teens and third party inspectors start in the low to mid twentys.
    AWS Certified Welding Inspector
    Ultrasonic Tech LVL 2
    Magnetic Partical Tech LVL 2
    Certified Welder Plate 3G & 4G unlimited

Shieldarc 250
    Chop saw
    Drills / grinders
    band saw
    oxy/acetylene
    hand tools

trich Guest

Total cost for me at Hobart (2 weeks) including my room, food and tuition was $4200. If you have any other questions you can email me at tlrich@marathonoil.com

$4200, I hope you passed. It cost me about a third of that.
    AWS Certified Welding Inspector
    Ultrasonic Tech LVL 2
    Magnetic Partical Tech LVL 2
    Certified Welder Plate 3G & 4G unlimited

Shieldarc 250
    Chop saw
    Drills / grinders
    band saw
    oxy/acetylene
    hand tools

I took the AWS one week crash course. About half of the hobart course and only gone for one week instead of two. Pretty intense but I passed on the first time.

WeldingWeb™ - Welding forum for pros and enthusiasts - Reply to Topic

does weldingweb.com has mobile version?

Hello . I am a CWI in the new york area with a newly opened Accredited Testing Facility (ATF). By Monday June 25 , 2011 my ATF license number will be issued to me. I am looking to expand nationwide with the help of other CWI's where if you have any individuals or companies that have welders or welded materials that need to be certified in any and all welding procedures that my company can do the testing of the materials for you. I can also write all your Welding Procedure Specs (WPS) as well.

I'm willing to pay and hourly rate and will cover all shipping costs to my facility.

If interested please email wasale197@gmail.com with any and all questions. Thanks

wasale197@gmail.com

Altitude - 5280, Latitude - 39.669017, Longitude - 104.897717

Well two yrs after this thread has come to fruition. I just got my test results back. I am CWI! I haven't really posted here much but this is the only welding forum I am a part of so I couldn't help but sign on a share my exciting news!
    Last edited by beags86; 05-17-2013 at 04:30 PM.

@ beags86 - Congrats brah!
    "I have been impressed with the urgency of doing. Knowing is not enough; we must apply. Being willing is not enough; we must do." - Leonardo da Vinci

Beats, tell us the process you went through and cost to do this. I have thought about it in the past.

Congrats, now your life begins...
    How much did you finally sink in to it?
    Did mine in '99 for around $400
    In '06 added the CWE
    Now I'm considering the SCWI
    Martin
    MC Weld Tech
    AWS-CWI
    AWS-CWE
    www.linkedin.com/pub/martin-cramer/20/b36/940/

I signed up for the week long seminar in July a few months ago, and just realized I still have to purchase the API 1104 codebook ($295 yikes) as it is not included in the cost of the seminar.

Wish I figured that out earlier as I would have bought the book further in advance to study from.

I'm signing up for January seminar/feb 1st 2014 exam date. Planning on taking the API 1104 as the code book is easier to handle I'm told. Then I intend on taking the D1.1 when I feel ready for it. Does a guy need to take any VT tools or anything like that with them? I've read where you need to take calculators, pencils, snacks, a watch, more snacks, and a headstrap flashlight. Everything else provided?

Quote Originally Posted by twatson154 View Post
    I'm signing up for January seminar/feb 1st 2014 exam date. Planning on taking the API 1104 as the code book is easier to handle I'm told. Then I intend on taking the D1.1 when I feel ready for it. Does a guy need to take any VT tools or anything like that with them? I've read where you need to take calculators, pencils, snacks, a watch, more snacks, and a headstrap flashlight. Everything else provided?
    Twatson , Once you become a CWI , your a CWI . There will be no need to take the D1.1 test if you pass the API. It's not as if you get diffrent ranks if you take more tests - unless your talking about RT,PT, UT, MT etc.