Miller BlueStar 2E AC/DC
RSS | Subscribe | Contact Us | Advertise | About Us

Miller BlueStar 2E AC/DC

I'm kind of new to this posting thing guys so bare with me if you don't mind. I recently purchased a BlueStar with a Tecumseh engine. I saw a post on here from a few months ago where someone in NM had one with a blown engine and offered some parts to someone for the price of shipping. I'm not looking to be a cheapskate but if anyone has any parts or just one to actually sell, I'd be interested in it. I need a few odds and ends but lets just see if anyone has anything. I'm in San Angelo Texas so everything's hours from here!! Thanks for any help that can be offered.

ps.. upgraded from a small hobart portable gas welder. Been a Miller fan for quite sometime and have used my granddad's and father-in-law's numerous times and thought an older Miller would be better than a newer Hobart. Hopefully I didn't make the wrong decision. Anyways, any help is welcome. Thanks...
    "What we do in life echoes in eternity"

Re: Miller BlueStar 2E AC/DC

We live in the same town. I have a 2E but no extra parts. You need to let the members know just what you need in the way of parts.
    Mike
    Ol' Stonebreaker
    "Experience is the name everyone gives to their mistakes"

Miller 175 mig
    Miller thunderbolt ac/dc stick
    Victor O/A setup
    Makita chop saw

Sorry for the lack in detail guys. I'm looking for a carb, choke knob, choke rod, and the idler controle. I don't think it's possible but if it is, I would also like to find a base for the welder. The one I have is in rough condition. Cosmetically it's pretty rough. I'd like things that may make it look better. It runs pretty well. I just wouldn't mind having some of the more common parts that may need to be worked on in the near future like the carb, exhaust and the housing by the starter. Sorry if it's still a little vague. I'd just like to rebuild as much of it as I can. Thanks again for any help that can be offered.

JW

what are you looking for?

Daye
    Pound to fit, paint to match

Look on San Angelo Craig's list. Someone in Ballinger is always advertising old welders he's rebuilt/fixed up. He's advertised a couple of 2E's so he might have what you're looking for.
    I had to buy a new idle solenoid for mine last yr. $120 some and I didn't want to buy a used one that might work for ??? how long!!
    HTH,
    Mike
    Ol' Stonebreaker

Miller 175 mig
    Victor O/A setup
    Makita chop saw

Mike,
    If you don't mind my asking, where did you buy the idle solenoid? That's the only "major" problem with mine at the moment. It welds great and runs great, it just doesn't idle down.

I saw that guys posting the other day and meant to call him but completely forgot. Thanks for the reminder. He might suprise me.

JW

Quote Originally Posted by j.dubya View Post
    Mike,
    If you don't mind my asking, where did you buy the idle solenoid? That's the only "major" problem with mine at the moment. It welds great and runs great, it just doesn't idle down.

I saw that guys posting the other day and meant to call him but completely forgot. Thanks for the reminder. He might suprise me.

JW
    J&T's Welding, 5294 Old Christoval Rd. Have you checked for one of the two solenoid wires being broken between it and the control board. There's a lot of vibration w/ that ol' one lunger on there!
    Mike
    Ol' Stonebreaker

Miller 175 mig
    Victor O/A setup
    Makita chop saw

Weldandpower Lincoln 225 AC,DC with Briggs 16hp gas engine.
    WW2 era Miller TIG.

Quote Originally Posted by mla2ofus View Post
    I had to buy a new idle solenoid for mine last yr. $120 some and I didn't want to buy a used one that might work for ??? how long!!
    HTH,
    Mike
    Is this the one you bought last year Mike?
    http://miller4less.com/advanced_sear...6f7cf4&x=6&y=6
    Hard to beat miller4less.com.
    MM200 w/Spoolmatic 1
    Syncrowave 180SD
    Bobcat 225G Plus - LP/NG
    MUTT Suitcase Wirefeeder
    WC-1S/Spoolmatic 1
    HF-251D-1
    PakMaster 100XL
    SA-200 Blackface Code# 8638
    Star Jet 21-110

Two term limit - one in office, one in jail.

Since I can't remember the part # and w/o a pic, I guess that is it. How much would shipping be?
    Mike
    Ol' Stonebreaker

Miller 175 mig
    Victor O/A setup
    Makita chop saw

I'm thinking that it is the solenoid. The wireing to it and the board are fine. It can still weld fine, it just won't idle down when it's on weld. When it's switched to the generator mode, it idles down and when I switch it back to weld and strike an arc, it idles right back up and doesn't change from there. Also, I was messing with the fine amperage knob and it doesn't seem to work. It only strikes an arc when it's on 100. Anything less, it won't even arc. No matter how high the amperage is. Any ideas from anyone? Could the rheostat possibly be dirty??

GBM, thanks for sending over that link on craigslist but it showed that whatever it was, was removed.

Thanks Duane, that'll probably be the route that I take.

JW

JW, If it idles down in the gen position, there's nothing wrong w/ the solenoid. I can't remember the switch positions, but at a certain setting of the switches it stays at full RPM. I do that w/ mine when I first start it up cold, else it will die when I strike an arc 'til the engine gets warmed up. Maybe Duane will chime in and help you out. PM me and we'll get together and start mine up and see if it works the same as yours.
    Mike
    Ol' Stonebreaker

Miller 175 mig
    Victor O/A setup
    Makita chop saw

I agree with Mike - if it idles down in POWER mode it's safe to say the solenoid is OK. If there is a problem with the idler board, I would sooner suspect the board mounted switching transistor for the idler circuit may not be turning completely off (bad choke resistor?) but I'd have to review the control circuit to confirm or eliminate as a possibility.

To get the correct parts break-down for the unit, go here http://www.millerwelds.com/service/o...uals.php?model to download the manual if you don't already have it.
    MM200 w/Spoolmatic 1
    Syncrowave 180SD
    Bobcat 225G Plus - LP/NG
    MUTT Suitcase Wirefeeder
    WC-1S/Spoolmatic 1
    HF-251D-1
    PakMaster 100XL
    Star Jet 21-110

I just reviewed the Blue Star idler control and need to make a correction to my previous opening statement.

If the unit increases to weld speed with the AUTO IDLER off and when you strike an arc, the solenoid is good as the solenoid energizes to increase engine speed for welding.

However, a board transistor not turning off can still be the reason it doesn't idle down after the arc breaks. Which reminds me - are you waiting the pre-set 15+/- seconds for the idler to release after you stop welding?
    MM200 w/Spoolmatic 1
    Syncrowave 180SD
    Bobcat 225G Plus - LP/NG
    MUTT Suitcase Wirefeeder
    WC-1S/Spoolmatic 1
    HF-251D-1
    PakMaster 100XL
    Star Jet 21-110

i have a blue star 2-e with a 16 horse tecumseh motor not running i will sell the motor . if interested call anthony at 936-714-7344

I think you will find a shorted SCR 50 on the pcb. Check between pin C and J.
    Label and remove wires and test with ohmmeter.
    J is ground and C is the ground for the coil. SCR 50 connects C to J to turn solenoid on.
    Get owner's manual, diagrams are all in there.

cc and duane are correct , the solenoid is not the problem, it is most likely the board. The scr's are available from miller, Part # 080508 , about 5 bucks each, that beats 230. for the whole board. Just drill the rivet out that holds them to the heat sink , resolder the new one and reattatch with a small screw and nut.

I have a bluestar 2e acdc and mine was acting the same way. I never messed with it when I bought it from the seller, so I never even noticed the battery. Needless to say, someone at work "borrowed" my battery and I wasn't certain of whether it was negative or positive ground, the battery ends fit better as positive ground, but it didn't seem right so I called the miller repair shop in Des Moines and they said it is negative ground. I redid the cable ends and put the new battery in and now my auto idle is working fine.
    I would have thought that if the battery was in wrong, it would melt it down. I wouldn't suggest trying it the wrong way, but just a thought to make sure it isn't in in reverse polarity as well.
    I honestly think my bluestar welds better than my newer bobcat!
    Good luck!

you are lucky something did not die while the battery was connected wrong.
    I'll bet the battery went dead on you unt you fixed it.l

Just went through this with my Bluestar 2E AC/DC. When you flip the power/weld switch to power it kills voltage to the idler solenoid and it will idle down like it's supposed to in power. When you flip it to weld it supplies 12 volts to the solenoid and then the idler board grounds the other wire coming from the solenoid to pull in the solenoid to make the machine go to weld speed. Mine would never idle down in weld position and I thought it would be the idler board but it was actually the solenoid. Ohm the two wires going into the solenoid and you should have about 3 ohms between them and nothing (infinity) between either wire and the case of the solenoid. Mine had about 30 ohms between one wire and the case and when I bolted the solenoid to the machine it got 12 volts and would ground itself, keeping the solenoid pulled in and at weld speed anytime it was in the weld position. I uncrimped the back end of mine and slid the solenoid coil out and found they had wrapped the coil with cloth tape to insulate where the wires are soldered on and the tape had disintergrated, letting the solder joint touch the metal case and ground it. I wrapped it with some Scotch 33 tape and slid it back in and recimped the end with a small ball pein hammer and works perfect now. Solenoid costs about $150 by the time you get it shipped. I was lucky that the wire that was grounding inside the solenoid was the one exiting the coil; if it had been the one coming into the coil I would have had a direct short and burned something up. So i went back and added a fuse to the wire that supplies 12 volt to the weld/power switch to prevent any melted wires in the future.

Good catch and save pl747. Now I see your interest for installing a fuse FI in your unit for circuit protection.
    MM200 w/Spoolmatic 1
    Syncrowave 180SD
    Bobcat 225G Plus - LP/NG
    MUTT Suitcase Wirefeeder
    WC-1S/Spoolmatic 1
    HF-251D-1
    PakMaster 100XL
    Star Jet 21-110

Exactly! Would prevent a lot of smoke.