Propane powered miller stick/tig
RSS | Subscribe | Contact Us | Advertise | About Us
    Virginia Beach VA Dominion of the over taxed and over charged.

Propane powered miller stick/tig

not in my immediate area but its something I'm interested in but I'm not sure of the price if its worth it so I'm asking for thoughts on this and leaving it open to others who may also be interested.

http://raleigh.craigslist.org/tls/2274605335.html

Re: Propane powered miller stick/tig

That is an unusual set up... but interesting for sure.
    Rick V

1 Airco Heliwelder 3A/DDR
    3 CTC 70/90 amp Stick/Tig Inverters in Parallel
    1 Lincoln MIG PAK 15
    1 Oxy-Acet

yea scratchin my head on it as well but I think I have seen something similar before.

You mean something like this?

Name:  Bobcat Running Gear 033.jpg
Views: 1160
Size:  140.1 KB
    Name:  Bobcat Running Gear 036.jpg
Views: 1158
Size:  138.0 KB

My propane/natural gas Bobcat 225G Plus. There have been a few other additions/upgrades to the unit but I haven't taken any recent photos. Also will be adding two tank racks on either side of the propane cylinder - C-25 for the suitcase feeder and Argon for the HF-251D and WC-1/Spoolmatic 1 accessories.
    MM200 w/Spoolmatic 1
    Syncrowave 180SD
    Bobcat 225G Plus - LP/NG
    MUTT Suitcase Wirefeeder
    WC-1S/Spoolmatic 1
    HF-251D-1
    PakMaster 100XL
    SA-200 Blackface Code# 8638
    Star Jet 21-110

Two term limit - one in office, one in jail.

Hello big65mopar, it is very common to see gas-driven machines that are converted to run on propane, especially if they are going to be used inside of buildings or other places that don't readily have good ventilation. Don't want to be suffering from carbon monoxide poisoning do we? That is certainly the reasoning behind such a set-up. Currently, with the price of gas going up so unbelievably(or not), it makes a lot of sense to power up with propane. Propane power can have additional benefits for internal combustion engines due to how cleanly it burns. Best regards, Allan
    aevald

Also propane never goes bad or gums up the carb. But I think the asking price for that AED is too high.
    "Where's Stick man????????" - 7A749
    "SHHHHHH!! I sent him over to snag that MIC-4 while tbone wasn't looking!" - duaneb55
    "I have bought a few of Tbone's things unlike Stick-Man who helps himself" - TozziWelding
    "Stick-man"

Thanks for the inputs so far, I hope to hone in on a good price to barter towards with everyones help. Immediate use will be for home hobby work and keeping my skills up during downtime at work.

So are you interested in the multi-function concept or operation with propane with an engine drive?

If propane for its advantages that Allan and Stick-man pointed out - my reasons for moving in that direction btw - any gasoline unit can be easily converted and a conversion can even leave the gasoline operation in place for a dual fuel set up if desired.

I just converted a 6.5KW Onan Emerald III from gasoline to LPG for a service van that was pulling from the chassis gas tank but now runs off the 30 gallon under-mount propane tank that supplies a heater that isn't expected to be used much if at all.

My Bobcat can also operate off the house NG supply for uninterupted operaton (except for perioding oil checks) in the event of a long term power outage - another reason for my going that route. The NG delivery arrangement differs only slightly from the LPG and some power reduction will result due to the lower energy content of NG vs. LPG.
    MM200 w/Spoolmatic 1
    Syncrowave 180SD
    Bobcat 225G Plus - LP/NG
    MUTT Suitcase Wirefeeder
    WC-1S/Spoolmatic 1
    HF-251D-1
    PakMaster 100XL
    SA-200 Blackface Code# 8638
    Star Jet 21-110

Two term limit - one in office, one in jail.

Both but reasons actually as I am also looking to go to a more fuel efficient car with my commute the way it is now ( went from 5 miles combined driving to 70 miles combined driving a day). While it wouldn't be getting much use off the bat I do have plans to start working on some home fab work and possibly other things down the road.

Dont mean to hijack the thread, but to those of you who have ran or own a welder powered by propane have you noticed any differences when welding with a propane powered welder? Different settings? Arc characteristics? And exactly what to you need to do to convert a welder to propane, besides a propane cylinder?

Quote Originally Posted by StickWeldor87 View Post
    Dont mean to hijack the thread, but to those of you who have ran or own a welder powered by propane have you noticed any differences when welding with a propane powered welder? Different settings? Arc characteristics? And exactly what to you need to do to convert a welder to propane, besides a propane cylinder?
    I got a LPG trailblazer 302 from new.
    I think the factory upgrades the motor (kholer) a couple of HP to make up for the slight under powering of the LPG.

I ordered it that way as i didnt want the modern gas to be sitting in it for unknown lengths of time.

cant say i compared the arc to a gas tb302, but i liked mine more than an older bobcat 225 gas.

I have mine inside an E250. open a few doors and windows whilst it is running. then pack up and drive away with no fume problems.

It was a 700$ option for the LPG, but id do it again every time, unless i went for a bigger diesel. dont see that need anytime soon.
    G