Welding truck setup
RSS | Subscribe | Contact Us | Advertise | About Us

Welding truck setup

Wondering if anyone has pics of how there welding truck is set up. A kind of "what goes where" thing. I saw a truck the other day that had a big platform in it with a welder in one spot and torches in another with a tool box and all the leads and hose. It was all strapped together and could be lifted out of the back of the truck. I didn't get a chance to take any pics but thought it was a pretty cool piece. Especially if your going to be at one job for a while. Anything would be cool to see.

Re: Welding truck setup

"No man's knowledge here can go beyond his experience." - John Locke
    www.improvised-engineering.com
    Manufacturer Agnostic:
    Blood----------Sweat---------Tears
    ----|------------------|----------------|----
    Lincoln Red, Miller Blue, Esab Yellow

http://weldingweb.com/showthread.php?t=27979 theres a place to start. dang it wintermute beat me to it!

Joe, some would call that set-up a "skid".
    City of L.A. Structural; Manual & Semi-Automatic;
    "Surely there is a mine for silver, and a place where gold is refined. Iron is taken from the earth, and copper is smelted from ore."
    Job 28:1,2

Lincoln, Miller, Victor & NKJV Bible

Danny

Quote Originally Posted by tanglediver View Post
    Joe, some would call that set-up a "skid".
    Thanks, I tried searching around but I was unsure what it was called so my search came up with a bunch of torch carts!!

Skid my buddy built.

Quote Originally Posted by joe6 View Post
    Wondering if anyone has pics of how there welding truck is set up. A kind of "what goes where" thing.
    If you are talking about box and tool layout, lots of things effect that. I keep the majority of my most used tools on the drivers side, so they are closest to me as I get out of the truck. My buddy has most of his on the passenger side, as he usually works in/around trafic and getting in the drivers boxes is a PITA the way some people drive. I admit a lot of my tool layout comes from how previous trucks I worked out of were laid out. One of the guys I worked with years ago could probably find most of my tools if needed because 90% of the layout is similar to the truck we both used back then.

Also just what you do can affect things. I use my diesel tank primarily to fill my truck, so the pumps on the drivers side next to the truck tank. My buddy uses his to fuel equipment, and it's hard to get out of the drivers side door when we fill equipment, so his pump is on the passenger side. His welder is somewhat awkward to get to because his truck is set up to service heavy equipment and he only occasionally needs to get to it. His torches however are very accessable, because he needs to cut and heat frequently. That's quite different from another friend who welds daily. His machine is easy to get to because he needs to adjust it all the time. His torches are less so because he usually cuts in the shop, and not out on site.

No government ever voluntarily reduces itself in size. Government programs, once launched, never disappear. Actually, a government bureau is the nearest thing to eternal life we'll ever see on this earth!

Ronald Reagan

The skid in the back of my truck houses the machine and bottles. I keep meaning to add toolboxes onto the sides, but right now I pulled the back seat out of my truck and built a surface out of plywood to hold all of my goodies (extended cab!)

Basic, but effective. Only PITA is I have to take the spools off when I'm done, otherwise the cable walks! Oh, and don't use nylocks for the machine-to-spool tower connection points. I err...cooked the nylon...

It's not in the picture, but I found that the easiest way to mount the skid was to bolt eyes onto the four corners of the skid and use turnbuckles to the four tie down lugs in the corners of any pickup bed.

As half the time I'm at the shop and the other half I'm who knows where, it works well as I can simply load up all of my junk and get on the road!
    Last edited by mb_welder; 05-01-2011 at 10:10 PM.