Millermatic 250X
RSS | Subscribe | Contact Us | Advertise | About Us

Millermatic 250X

I've been looking for a decent 220v mig welder for a while (I currently have an old Lincoln buzz box). I found a 250X which comes with a full-size bottle full of gas for $550. Apparently some of these were digital, but this one is analog. I've read some negative comments about the 250 series, but I wanted to try and get some more details if possible.

Apparently the hot-start feature was a problem for .023 wire, but there seems to be a fairly easy way to disconnect the diode responsible for this. But I've also heard complaints about the arc quality being too sharp.

This seems to be a decent buy, but I had been interested in a new Hobart Handler 187 which everyone seems to really like. Does anyone know how these welders would compare? Price-wise, a 187 is about $650 plus a bottle, but of course it would be new with a warranty.

Does anyone have any first-hand experience with the 250X? I will be able to try out the welder for myself if I'm interested, but I won't waste the time if this machine was really a dud. Also, I've only welded with a torch and stick, so I'm not in a great position to compare to other mig welders.

Thanks for the input...

Re: Millermatic 250X

I've got a 250x, analog like your looking at. I haven't had any problems with it. I'd be all over another one for $550. I've never used it with 0.023, only .030 and .035. I've never used the HH187, but that 250x is a lot more machine. The other migs I've run are Miller 250, 251, 200, and a 185. I can't tell much difference in the weld quality between any of those. Its more about how well the feed rolls are adjusted, how good the liner is and if the tip, etc was in good shape.

I wouldn't think about that deal too long it it won't be there.
    Miller 250x & Lincoln V205-T
    Smith Oxy-Prop torch

The two welding schools I've spent a lot of time in and around both swear the 250Xs were lemons. They told me flat out to avoid buying one. Still, $550 is dirt cheap, seems like if it didn't work you could find another fool ..

Went to take a look at the welder. It seemed to weld ok, but the serial number had been scratched off the back label. I'm sure it's been used pretty hard also, and it's been amateurishly repainted. I'm passing on this one; I really wouldn't want to be in a position of trying to explain it's history if I were to try and sell it. Also, the bottle was very large (probably around 5 feet tall), but it has a partial sticker from a rental place. The owner claims he owns it, but he didn't offer any proof.

I think I might prefer one of the smaller units anyway, since it would be nice to be able to take it outside the shop occasionally. This one would need a trailer to be very portable. Portability isn't my number one concern, but I think one of the smaller machines would be a better fit.

Oh wow. I can only think of one good reason to scratch off a serial number. Smart move on passing.
    Miller 250x & Lincoln V205-T
    Smith Oxy-Prop torch

i have several friends that have the 250x and bought them new and have nothing but good to say about them. from what i have been told the 250x was an upgrade from the 250 which had a lot of problems that the 250x was supposed to cure but since the bad rap carried onto the 250x they dropped the 250x for the 251. good that you passed on the probably stolen machine. as much as i hate thieves i would be prone to drop a dime to the local PD. maybe some hard working weldor might get his welder back.
    225NT bobcat
    AEAD200LE
    Scott 125
    mm175, mm252 w 30A, PT225
    mm211, TA 181i
    Hyper Therm 380, cut master 52
    9100X & XX, Digital Elite
    6 Victor sets
    smith little torch, meco midget
    kalamazoo band saw
    steel max saw
    evoulution circular saw