Lincoln Weld Pak 180 HD at Home Depot
RSS | Subscribe | Contact Us | Advertise | About Us
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Lincoln Weld Pak 180 HD at Home Depot

I searched around and could not find an answer so I figured I'd ask. Is there a difference between a regular lincoln welder like you'd buy from a local Airgas and the ones that Home Depot sells?

I am looking at the Lincoln Weld Pak 180 HD, Home Depot lists it on their site for $669 I believe. There are a handful of reviews (7 to be exact) and those who bought it seem to love it.

Would the warranty on this machine be the same? Still made in the USA? Did they cut corners on this thing to offer it to HD for a cheaper price?

Re: Lincoln Weld Pak 180 HD at Home Depot

It is not the same as the power mig 180, but it is the same as the pro mig on the lincoln web site.

There's a LOT more plastic on the HD model. wire feed system is all plastic. Look at the weight of that one compared to the power mig, they seem to have skimped a little on the winding or something else as well. The voltage control is also tapped, not contiuous. If you're looking at it becuase of price, Lincoln has there "Money Matters" rebate going on right now. You could get a $75 rebate on the power Mig (Bringing the price to $699) or get a viking auto dark helmet for free.

To be 100% honest it really caught my eye because I have a Home Depot card and you get 0% for 6 months on purchases of $299 or more. I figure I could pay around $100 or so a month and keep my money in my pocket. I used it on my air compressor when I bought it a few years ago.

If they are built a little cheaper though I'd rather pass on it.

Quote Originally Posted by 89Mirageman View Post
    To be 100% honest it really caught my eye because I have a Home Depot card and you get 0% for 6 months on purchases of $299 or more. I figure I could pay around $100 or so a month and keep my money in my pocket. I used it on my air compressor when I bought it a few years ago.

If they are built a little cheaper though I'd rather pass on it.
    if you want to use your home depot card they can get you any welder in Lincoln's catalog i had them get me my power mig 255 and they matched a local price go to special services or talk to a manager a regular version would be better than the store version go to Lincoln's site and get model number etc then go to HD
    350P 30A spool gun cut master 51 syncro 250 other stuff
    " take a dog off the street and make him prosper and he will not bite you sad the same cannot be said for man" i didnt use punctuation just to piss you off

Two differences, tapped voltage control and all plastic frame on the drive,
    LWS version has continuous voltage control and the drive has a metal frame.
    If you are only going to use the welder once and a while HD should be fine.
    If using it a lot, get the weld shop version.
    Always try to match the welder to how it is going to be used. Under powered is disappointing.
    over built is $$$$$

Lincoln also makes this machine for Lowe's, I have one of those and it has been a great machine for me. If you understand the material capabilities and if that range is what you need, its a nice machine. I have a review of it with lots of photos and a video at the link below if some looking under the door will help.

Lincoln Pro MIG 180 Review
    Tom Hintz, publisher
    www.newmetalworker.com
    Lincoln Pro Mig 180
    Lincoln AC 255
    Determination

Thanks for the help guys. That's a good idea about getting HD to order me a better unit but all of the local ones have closed down over the past year or so. The closest one now is roughly an hour drive and I'd hate to do that to ask them to order me a different welder and they not want to cooperate, you know?

I've also been searching for 10% coupons online and have come up with nothing. I figure that would at least take care of the tax on the machine.

I have also been reading up on similar welders. Tractor Supply is a 15 minute drive and they have the HH187 on sale for $599 right now. The local airgas also has the Lincoln 180C and the MM180 for around $775 before tax but I could possibly talk to them and get a slightly better deal if paying in cash.

Decisions, decisions.

i got my lincoln hd 180 new, for 500 on ebay. HD is overpriced at 669.

you can sometimes get a 10% coupon in the moving pack from the post office also home depot will take Lowe's coupons if there's one in the area
    350P 30A spool gun cut master 51 syncro 250 other stuff
    " take a dog off the street and make him prosper and he will not bite you sad the same cannot be said for man" i didnt use punctuation just to piss you off

Also, just FYI, The 180 at Home depot and lowes are the same unit. (Same internals and specs) they just give them different names. That lincoln link that Tomhintz provided give a good shot of the plastic drive assemblies that they use. On the power mig, the whole thing is aluminum, and the drives are cogged.

Quote Originally Posted by umahunter View Post
    you can sometimes get a 10% coupon in the moving pack from the post office also home depot will take Lowe's coupons if there's one in the area
    can get one online too
    http://www.homedepotmoving.com/SignUp/Registration.aspx

I registered for the moving coupon a few months ago when we purchased some things for the house and they will only let you do it once. I did call the Post Office today though and the lady was nice enough to toss a few of the moving packs in my brothers PO Box. Once they check the box this afternoon I will see if there was anything in there for Lowes or HD.

I looked at the link above (thanks for that btw) and saw the plastic parts. It looks like the cable guide, the rollers and everything else that the wire comes in contact with is metal though. Maybe its me but I would think that would be just as sturdy as an all metal assembly.

Also I'm sure I could get this thing cheaper than $669 elsewhere but again the 0 percent interest thing is worth it to me to pay a few bucks more. Especially when combined with the 10% savings. I'd much rather pay $100 for 6 months than $600 at once.

Quote Originally Posted by 89Mirageman View Post
    I registered for the moving coupon a few months ago when we purchased some things for the house and they will only let you do it once.
    once per email address, any gmail, yahoo etc will do

I see that Lowes gives 5 percent off just for using their card. And you can get the same financing deal. Best, Ralph.

Quote Originally Posted by SEAR View Post
    i got my lincoln hd 180 new, for 500 on ebay. HD is overpriced at 669.
    Hi SEAR:

Is this the ebay seller you got your welder from? http://cgi.ebay.com/Lincoln-180-Mig-...item4aaab4165d
    Are you satisfied with your purchase and the sellers support?

I'm just a wannabe, which means I don't own any welding equipment (yet). I noticed that this model will weld 1/2". I have no real need for a welder, so I don't know what kind of projects I'd be doing with it. I just want one to play with. Would this be a good choice for a rookie, or should I be considering something else? I would use flux core exclusively, as I don't want to mess around with gas/leases for the few occasions I may weld something. One more thing. Is tapped voltage control versus continuous voltage control a big deal (especially for a rookie like me)? The other welder I'm considering is the Hobart Stickmate LX 235 AC / 160 DC. I can pick this up from my local Fleet Farm for $445.

What ever I get, I'll practice, and practice, and practice a lot and learn to use it well before tackling any projects. I thought I wanted a stick welder, but I may choose a mig. I'm not at all concerned about duty cycle because at 65 I'm move'n a little slower anyway.

You're all invited to chip in with replies as this rookie will take all the help he can get.

Thanks for your thoughtful reply,

Don <><
    Last edited by genesis; 04-30-2011 at 07:15 PM.

Don,
    go with a wire feeder like the Lincoln 180 or a Hobart Handler 187
    Ed Conley
    http://www.screamingbroccoli.com/
    MM252
    MM211
    Passport Plus & Spool gun
    Lincoln SP135 Plus- (Gone to a good home)
    Miller 125c Plasma 120v
    SO 2020 bender
    Beer in the fridge

Quote Originally Posted by Broccoli1 View Post
    Don,
    go with a wire feeder like the Lincoln 180 or a Hobart Handler 187
    Hi Ed:
    I just checked out the Hobart Handler 187. Specs indicate it can weld up to 5/16, and it's more expensive that the Lincoln 180. Or am I missing something? I've always heard "Stick for thick". I don't know if I'd ever wanna do a project requiring 1/2" welds, but I'd like the capability to do 1/2 inch welds. I'd have to jump way up to the Hobart Ironman 230 to do 1/2" welds. How can the little Lincoln 180 produce 1/2" welds and it's only $500? That's what puzzles me and I'm thinking there's something here I don't understand or misinterpreting.

Don <><
    Last edited by genesis; 04-30-2011 at 07:36 PM.

Playing magic with the numbers- they're the same class machine

$580.00 for the ebay Lincoln is a pretty good price

Lincoln street price- $669.00 ( Home Depot, Lowes)
    Hobart Handler- $679.00 ( Northern Tool, free shipping & check your Fleet store)

So they're about the same $ at the Brick & Mortar stores.
    Ed Conley
    MM252
    MM211
    Miller 125c Plasma 120v
    SO 2020 bender
    Beer in the fridge

Don,

The Spec you want to look at/compare is the RATED output

HH187= 30% @ 130 A
    Lincoln = 130A 30%

5/16" 1/2" on either of these machines is a Mulitpass Fluxcore job and either will do it but the Duty Cycle will be LOW.
    Ed Conley
    MM252
    MM211
    Miller 125c Plasma 120v
    SO 2020 bender
    Beer in the fridge

It's hard to beat the Hobart 187 at Tractor Supply for $599. I don't know, they might also have some sort of promotion encouraging you to use their credit card for cheap interest or a discount of somesort.

1/2" on a 180 class machine is slooooow. My 175 miller begs for mercy and kicks thermal after 12" or so of weld. If 3/8 or heavier is in your future look at a bigger welder.
    Millermatic 252
    millermatic 175
    miller 300 Thunderbolt
    lincoln ranger 250
    smith torches
    lots of bfh's
    If it dont fit get a bigger hammer

I recently bought a 180 Lincoln from my local Crappy Tire. I was very disapointed when I got home to use it, and it was a better noise maker then a welder. It didnt seem to matter what I did... it would just melt the wire as it came out of the gun. The weld wouldnt stick to the surface metal, what so ever. I checked the 240V wall plug, replaced the tips multiple times, checked the polarity, and changed the wire over and over. Nothing worked. Cant return it because the box and receipt is long gone. So I decided to pull the cover off the other side of the welder. After some looking around, it was apparent one of the pull ins, was out of the back of the voltage dial. As soon as I plugged it in, and tried the welder... it was on like Donkey Gong. Becareful as if you get the plug backwards it, treats the dial backwards. Ive included some pictures. Name:  photo 1-1.JPG
Views: 2282
Size:  119.4 KBName:  photo 2-1.JPG
Views: 2281
Size:  97.1 KB

Hi Don- I had a 180HD from about April to I think early December when it was stolen last year and I made great progress learning to weld with all of these guys' (and girls') help. I worked on everything common around the ranch from 3", 1/8"-wall dirty/painted/rusted pasture railing steel to tractor parts and it was great. I found another 180HD, used but in great shape for $400 and bought it a couple weeks ago and it's the same way; just a good beginner-intermediate, ranch, hobby machine.

As was said, the HD is about 10lbs lighter than its 180C continuous brother and yes, I would, now that I know a bit about welding (just a bit though!) like to have continuous control rather than a tapped control but in learning and welding everything on the ranch, neither HDs have ever given me a bit of problems, even with the plastic parts. So I would say that, like I did, look honestly at what you'll be doing with the machine 90% of the time and go with a machine that works for you really and not the expensive advantages of a machine that'll weld 1/2" steel if you won't be welding 1/2". I did and found the HD to be a great machine to learn on and progress with. Even on the ranch, I can't say I'd replace the 180 except at just under 100 acres with alot of cattle and bull pens, loading facilities and pasture fencing, I'm building a cart so the Gator can tote around an engine-driven Ranger. But if we didn't have that and I was welding because it's what golf or tennis or bowling or any leisure activity is to most people, I think I'd stick with my 180HD. Heck, it'll probably do most of my shop welding for me even when I finish the Ranger project. Even with it's plastic parts, the ranch and I haven't killed it yet and that's saying something, believe me! I hope this helps.

When did they switch to the plastic feeders? Even the 140s at home depot used to have a cast aluminum feeder assembly.
    And the welder is overpriced at home depot IMO.
    Torchmate 2x2 CNC
    Longevity 200ex
    Longevity Forcecut 62i
    Longevity ProMTS200 & Spool gun
    Thermal Arc 186
    Tweco 141i