Stripped out torx bolt, or rounded off hex head?
RSS | Subscribe | Contact Us | Advertise | About Us

Stripped out torx bolt, or rounded off hex head?

Unlike the professionals here, the biggest thing I use my welder for is getting stripped out torx bolts, and rounded off hex bolts out while working on the Little Jeep. For some reason, Jeeps loves to use these stupid torx bolts, then paint over them. My welding skills are limited to scrap metal and stuck bolts

The torx bolt with the bolt welded to it, was in a lovely place... hardly enough room to get the nozzle in there.

Qualified & experienced at welding scrap metal

Re: Stripped out torx bolt, or rounded off hex head?

Well, ya gotta start somewhere little jeep.

Good job getting those bolts out.
    MM200 w/Spoolmatic 1
    Syncrowave 180SD
    Bobcat 225G Plus - LP/NG
    MUTT Suitcase Wirefeeder
    WC-1S/Spoolmatic 1
    HF-251D-1
    PakMaster 100XL
    SA-200 Blackface Code# 8638
    Star Jet 21-110

Two term limit - one in office, one in jail.

For the painted over torx fire up the O/A cutting torch w/ a small flame set to cut. Put the flame in the torx recess and hit the oxy for about 2 seconds.Poof, all the paint is gone. I usually just drive the torx socket in all the way, break the bolt loose and rock the socket around until it's loose and turn the bolt out. Nice welding job to get them out.
    Mike
    Ol' Stonebreaker
    "Experience is the name everyone gives to their mistakes"

Miller 175 mig
    Miller thunderbolt ac/dc stick
    Victor O/A setup
    Makita chop saw

Quote Originally Posted by duaneb55 View Post
    Well, ya gotta start somewhere little jeep.

Good job getting those bolts out.
    My signature line says it all.... I know my limitations

"Qualified & experienced at welding scrap metal"

Quote Originally Posted by mla2ofus View Post
    For the painted over torx fire up the O/A cutting torch w/ a small flame set to cut. Put the flame in the torx recess and hit the oxy for about 2 seconds.Poof, all the paint is gone. I usually just drive the torx socket in all the way, break the bolt loose and rock the socket around until it's loose and turn the bolt out. Nice welding job to get them out.
    Mike

As if I have a cutting torch However, I do have a little propane torch, but I doubt it will work as well.

Get your self a big old jug of “anti-seize” to use on the Jeep. BTDT… 04 and 06 TJ…

Quote Originally Posted by Billdacat View Post
    Get your self a big old jug of “anti-seize” to use on the Jeep. BTDT… 04 and 06 TJ…
    Yep..... I figured this out a while back. I own a 98 TJ, 92 XJ, and a 00 WJ. Anti-seize doesn't help on removing bolts that have never been removed before. However, when I replace all them bolts with real bolts, they will be introduced to anti-seize for sure.

Here is what the Little Jeep looks like in it's current condition. Once I get the cage setup, strapped into place with ratchet straps, and everything tested, I'll have my Son-n-Law weld it into place as he welded as a profession a few years back.

Last edited by little Jeep; 04-16-2011 at 11:17 PM.

Torx head bit sockets with a impact, not an air impact but the one you hit with the hammer and it twists while forcing the bit in, is your friend on these jeeps.

Quote Originally Posted by Antibling View Post
    Torx head bit sockets with a impact, not an air impact but the one you hit with the hammer and it twists while forcing the bit in, is your friend on these jeeps.
    I actually only had the one with the bolt welded to it that I couldn't remove. It was the bolt located between the rear side of the "B" pillar (over the front seats) and the wheel well. The other two bolts were safety torx (regular torx bolt is hollow in center of torx star, safety torx have pin in center of torx star) and I wasn't going to purchase a set of Safety Torx bits $$ just to remove two bolts. When I put this sucker back together, I'll use Grade 8 hex bolts everywhere versus these silly torx bolts.

Yup, they suck. Sometimes striking the head of the bolt with a hammer will "shock" the threads enough to break it free.

A couple nice sharp whacks usually does it.

One more for the bag of tricks.

Quote Originally Posted by daddy View Post
    Yup, they suck. Sometimes striking the head of the bolt with a hammer will "shock" the threads enough to break it free.

A couple nice sharp whacks usually does it.

One more for the bag of tricks.

Trust me, when working on an old Jeep, you learn every trick known to man about getting old bolts out. Heating (while welding nut to them) & then letting them cool also helps get them out. These suckers were tight, I was using a 1/2 strong arm with a 12 inch pipe. Whomever put them in, didn't plan on them coming out The good news is, I got them all out now.

Quote Originally Posted by little Jeep View Post
    I actually only had the one with the bolt welded to it that I couldn't remove. It was the bolt located between the rear side of the "B" pillar (over the front seats) and the wheel well. The other two bolts were safety torx (regular torx bolt is hollow in center of torx star, safety torx have pin in center of torx star) and I wasn't going to purchase a set of Safety Torx bits $$ just to remove two bolts. When I put this sucker back together, I'll use Grade 8 hex bolts everywhere versus these silly torx bolts.
    Harbor freight carries those torx safety for a song. a trick alot of guys use is snap the pin outta the middle with dikes, or a grinder, or a chisel then hammer in a torx
    forney f100 220v
    miller thunderbolt 225v a/c
    campbell hausfield flux welder 115v
    craftsman o/a rig(harris)
    collosal tech plasma cutter 50amp

Quote Originally Posted by SPG View Post
    Harbor freight carries those torx safety for a song. a trick alot of guys use is snap the pin outta the middle with dikes, or a grinder, or a chisel then hammer in a torx

I guess, I'll have to get one of those hammer chisels ... hear a lot of uses for it. Is HF ones any good? I bought an air drill from HF that is totally worthless as it has zero torque. 99% of what I buy a HF is good,,,,,,,, just the drill sucked.