Censorship: report and question - Page 2
RSS | Subscribe | Contact Us | Advertise | About Us
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Re: Censorship: report and question

I need some sort of program on my computer so if I have my foot in my mouth it disables my submit button.

Well, I suppose I'm late to the argument, but I'm going to contribute my two cents anyway.

I like to stay away from the term, "censorship" which has different implications. This is a privately owned forum in which the owners can permit or omit any language they like. With that said, I'm happy with the actions that have been taken and am especially pleased to see a summary of those actions. I also appreciate the level of discretion exercised in presenting the summary.

I would prefer not to have the word-masking. I don't really believe that anyone needs to be protected from profanity and if a contributor is too off-color or explicit, they can be moderated. I don't use expletives very often in day-to-day speech or when I'm writing a post, however I think we're all forgetting that dammit, sometimes they can be fun to use.
    -Heath

My 1/2 cent worth. I have a twelve year old nephew that has gotten a serious desire to be a welder. So much so that he took his stock show winnings and bought a Lincoln AC welder. It's his, not his Dad's. I don't think it would be right for him to be stopped from reading this forum due to adult language. But if the language got out of hand, his Dad would stop him. It's already happened on a fishing forum he used to read. Yes, I;m sure he hears the adult laguage at school, etc., but that doesn't make it acceptable.
    Now, I'll go back to my corner.

Thanks for the forums, but please let's keep it clean.
    Millermatic 135
    Miller Big 40
    Lincoln 225AC

I personally don't like censorship as I would like to believe that mature adults, well versed in our chosen language, can get the point across without resorting to grade-school theatrics. But I do live in this system and we do need controls for those that can not or will not control themselves. Leave it like it is---

These are the best reasons for the masking:

I have a twelve year old nephew that has gotten a serious desire to be a welder.......... I don't think it would be right for him to be stopped from reading this forum due to adult language. But if the language got out of hand, his Dad would stop him.
    My wife works in a Georgia highschool that places fairly strict restrictions web browsing...a few choice words, and the filter automatically culls they webpage from those her students are able to visit
    I'd forgotten about filters that might block site with content containng certain words.

Scott

Thumbs up Re: Censorship: report and question

I'm enjoying the heck out of the forum in it's present form. Learning more every day. I'm a professional chef, more than 35 years in the trenches, like most trades, it's grueling work, language can get pretty "gritty", I know how to see around it/not hear it or hear what I want to hear!
    Still A Grinder,
    Bruce
    The Welding Chef
    Lincoln Weld-Pack 3200
    NORWELD Stick
    Stanford Hill Farm