Home made Tig cooler
RSS | Subscribe | Contact Us | Advertise | About Us
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Home made Tig cooler

I think Im going to start on my home made tig cooler. I thought Id start a new thread and put up some pictures as I go. I picked up this pump today for $20 at a surplus store. Its 220V so I should be able to wire it up to the welder pretty easy.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Re: Home made Tig cooler

Im at the same point, I have the pump and motor and ordered the rest of the parts and pieces earlier this week and am waiting for them to get delivered.
    The motor and pump are a procon unit from a soda carbonation unit
    I am using a trans cooler for the heat exchanger and will run a fan blade off of the back of the motor. Hey maybe we can help each other with this build Keep the pictures coming

I scrapped 2 cars and had the heater cores and I think I have some dehumidifier parts somewhere. Only problem Im having now is the pump wont run. That really sucks because it was 220V. It just makes a hum sound.

Quote Originally Posted by Michaeljp86 View Post
    I scrapped 2 cars and had the heater cores and I think I have some dehumidifier parts somewhere. Only problem Im having now is the pump wont run. That really sucks because it was 220V. It just makes a hum sound.
    I'm not sure of the correct name but some 220v motors need a starter switch on them to give it a boost to get going.
    Leo

The Procon pump will do the job, but Michaeljp86 you aren't going to get enough pressure out of the pump that you have pictured. TIG coolers require 50-60 psi pump pressure to produce adequate flow through the small lines and torch head. The Procon pumps are designed to pump less volume but can produce pressures of over 100 psi. A centrifugal pump is designed for volume pumping at low pressure and cannot produce more than about 25 psi even when it's in new condition even if you are successful in getting it to run.

Can you rotate the motor shaft by hand? Sometimes the motor bearings or the pump seal stick and are the source of the problem. Also check to see if there is a centrifugal start switch inside the end cover of the motor. Some small motors have them and some don't. The contacts on this switch may be burned or the sliding centrifugal weight assembly that actuates the switch may be sticking on the shaft. This switch has to be closed with the motor off and open when the motor reaches about 1/2 of it's rated run speed. The switch is wired to a cylindrical shaped capacitor that's usually inside the box on the top of the case and this may also be defective.

I built my own cooler 2 + years ago. It uses the Procon pump and tank from a carbonator, a transmission oil cooler, and a pair of small muffin fans to blow air through the cooler. Search on my ID for information and pictures of it and send me a PM if you have any questions. I'll help you both as best as I can. I'm in South Central NC (North of Charlotte). Are you anywhere near me?

Charley
    Miller MM252
    Miller Bobcat 225NT
    Miller DialArc HF / DIY Cooler
    2 Victor O/A Torchsets
    Milwaukee 8" Metal Saw
    Milwaukee Dry Cut "Chop" Saw
    5 Ton Wallace Gantry
    Various Grinders, Benders, etc.

My dads a electrician, Ill have him look at the motor. I think it will produce 50psi, I have one smaller that is 12v and it will make 50.

Stop reinventing the wheel just buy a carbonator pump and tank on e bay about 100.00 or less add a rad and muffin fan and be done with it. "How" are you going to connect to that garden hose thread to your torch "no" filter "no" pressure adjustment too many variables we have all looked around and found that a procon style is what real coolers use so why not copy a proven system.It is not much money.I did same as Charley.
    My2˘

Vinnie

Here is what I did... It was free, and works well.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JXuqjxMNdjw[/ame]
    Lincoln Precisoin Tig 185
    1980's Miller plasma cutter.

Used to own...
    Hobart Tig Mate.

Quote Originally Posted by Vinnie View Post
    Stop reinventing the wheel just buy a carbonator pump and tank on e bay about 100.00 or less add a rad and muffin fan and be done with it. "How" are you going to connect to that garden hose thread to your torch "no" filter "no" pressure adjustment too many variables we have all looked around and found that a procon style is what real coolers use so why not copy a proven system.It is not much money.I did same as Charley.
    My2˘

Vinnie
    I dont have to use the hose connections, Inside it has tapered pipe threads. I have it hooked up to a garden hose now and we have 60-70psi on city water here. I dont get much more water through it then when I hooked up the tiny windsheild washer fluid pump. I dont think you need that big of a pump.

Quote Originally Posted by DiabolicZ View Post
    Here is what I did... It was free, and works well.

So thats just a fish tank pump? Those outdoor water fountain pumps are bigger and look the same.

I dont have to use the hose connections, Inside it has tapered pipe threads. I have it hooked up to a garden hose now and we have 60-70psi on city water here. I dont get much more water through it then when I hooked up the tiny windsheild washer fluid pump. I dont think you need that big of a pump.

So thats just a fish tank pump? Those outdoor water fountain pumps are bigger and look the same.
    Yep, mine is just a fish tank pump rated at 120 GPH or so. Pretty small one. Water is not spraying out of the end, but it doesn't need to. With it hooked up like that, my torch stayed plenty manageable while welding aluminum. If you are constantly welding all day, then you will have to cycle out the water on occasion but... for free, I'm not bitching.

Used to own...
    Hobart Tig Mate.

One reason I wanted a cooler is because of the cold, If I ran water Id have to blow it out in the winter. Id hate to forget and freeze and break something.

One reason I wanted a cooler is because of the cold, If I ran water Id have to blow it out in the winter. Id hate to forget and freeze and break something.
    So mix some antifreeze in there...

Used to own...
    Hobart Tig Mate.

Quote Originally Posted by DiabolicZ View Post
    So mix some antifreeze in there...
    Thats why I wanted the cooler so I can have a antifreeze mix instead of the city water from the garden hose.

Now you are going to open up a can of worms about antifreeze "LOL"

Vinnie

Heres my finished cooler

So how is it working? I am building one myself. I will post a thread when I get time.

I havent done any big tig projects but I have been using it. So far it works great, way better then the garden hose setup. Here is a few pictures of the switch I put on it. It has a little red light and a fuse, the switch box cost about $5 to build. Next Im going to put a thermometer on it and fill it with RV antifreeze.

I put a 220V plug on the front of the welder that powers up with the welder. I can leave the cooler always on because it shuts off when I flip off the welder. The switch on the cooler shuts off the pump and fan. I put the switch on it so if I use it for stick or mig I can shut it off. This is the only DC stick welder I have. I dont know if Ill ever get the mig setup working or not since I have a millermatic.
    Last edited by Michaeljp86; 05-28-2011 at 12:01 AM.

So a water fountain pump won't work?

Quote Originally Posted by VPT View Post
    So a water fountain pump won't work?
    The pump will work for a while, but the heat created when welding aluminum will cause the pump to fail. I used one in a pinch for a while, and you'd have to swap water out after a half hour of hard welding because it would get to the point where the pump would thermal out and stop. It lasted long enough to save up the money for a ProCon unit, and that solved my problems!
    I think she is Bi-polar. She is a bear sometimes. Does this make her a BiPolar bear????

Quote Originally Posted by Rojodiablo View Post
    The pump will work for a while, but the heat created when welding aluminum will cause the pump to fail. I used one in a pinch for a while, and you'd have to swap water out after a half hour of hard welding because it would get to the point where the pump would thermal out and stop. It lasted long enough to save up the money for a ProCon unit, and that solved my problems!
    Wouldnt running it through a heat exchanger solve that problem?

I havent done any big tig projects but I have been using it. So far it works great, way better then the garden hose setup. Here is a few pictures of the switch I put on it. It has a little red light and a fuse, the switch box cost about $5 to build. Next Im going to put a thermometer on it and fill it with RV antifreeze.

I put a 220V plug on the front of the welder that powers up with the welder. I can leave the cooler always on because it shuts off when I flip off the welder. The switch on the cooler shuts off the pump and fan. I put the switch on it so if I use it for stick or mig I can shut it off. This is the only DC stick welder I have. I dont know if Ill ever get the mig setup working or not since I have a millermatic.
    RV antifreeze contains alcohol not a good thing to put in a cooler.YOU CAN LITE IT WITH A MATCH TRY IT IT BURNS.

V

Michaeljp86, I have a bucket just like the one you used for a reservoir. It was the container that came with 25lbs. of deck screws. I've had it about 3-4 years now and keep an assortment of nails and screws in it. It has become very brittle and it is basically disintegrating, with little pieces breaking off every time I move it. Be careful that your reservoir doesn't get brittle and crack.
    Ian Tanner

Kawasaki KX450f and many other fine tools

Quote Originally Posted by Vinnie View Post
    RV antifreeze contains alcohol not a good thing to put in a cooler.YOU CAN LITE IT WITH A MATCH TRY IT IT BURNS.

V
    I still have water in it. What would it hurt? They run it through the water systems in boats and RV that have copper pipe. The tig torch is just a copper tube in a coil.

Quote Originally Posted by fortyonethirty View Post
    Michaeljp86, I have a bucket just like the one you used for a reservoir. It was the container that came with 25lbs. of deck screws. I've had it about 3-4 years now and keep an assortment of nails and screws in it. It has become very brittle and it is basically disintegrating, with little pieces breaking off every time I move it. Be careful that your reservoir doesn't get brittle and crack.
    My container had roofing nails. Ill keep a eye on it. I wanted something clear so I could see the fluid in it.

[QUOTE=Michaeljp86;514480]I still have water in it. What would it hurt? They run it through the water systems in boats and RV that have copper pipe. The tig torch is just a copper tube in a coil.

Just use propylene glycol and water 50/50

V

rv antifreeze is propylene glycol