Scrap metal art or projects - Page 29
RSS | Subscribe | Contact Us | Advertise | About Us
Page 29 of 34 FirstFirst ... 192728293031 ... LastLast

Re: Scrap metal art or projects

The rusty bell went to a lady in Saluda. The blue bell went to Josie. I think Josie was a bit jealous of the first lady getting that bell. If you have not been to Josies house, you need to go there. Her driveway is almost a half mile long and a quarter mile wide and lined with a great selection of art.
    Thanks again to you and your wife for stopping by my tent. I think one of Pat' s friends ended up buying a few things from me. I ended up driving to and from Mathews five times in five days including this morning when I had to drop off an item for Josie.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
    Millermatic 252 MIG
    Miller Dynasty 200DX TIG
    Miller Spectrum 375 Plasma
    Altas 12x36 Metal Lathe
    Bridgeport Milling Machine
    www.psacustomcreations.com

I should have mentioned that Josie had me place the blue bell right near her front door. I though she was joking when she purchased it and said she needed a new doorbell.

Millermatic 252 MIG
    Miller Dynasty 200DX TIG
    Altas 12x36 Metal Lathe

Quote Originally Posted by HT2-4956 View Post
    Pat,

I was drinking beer at my collection of metal parts a few days back trying to come with ideas for stuff and got one involving plow points you might like.

In place of this bronze impeller I've got stood up between these two plow points how about a ring (hoop) about 4' in diameter? May be rolled out of something like 1/4 x 2" flat bar. Could be a pretty basic (but yet still sexy) holder for a bell out in a yard some where.

Attachment 1720801
    Good thinking (and good eye) for reusing those cultivator sweeps. I wish I had some left.

I probably had a couple of 45 gal barrels full of worn ones. Only consolation is I scrapped them about 20 years ago and not last week.

Terry
    ​Terry

**FORNEY**
    **THERMAL ARC**
    210 Fabricator
    181i
    **LINCOLN**
    Idealarc 250/250
    SA 200 (2)
    Ranger 305G LN-25 Pro
    **MILLER**
    Spectrum 625
    Maxstar 150STL
    Syncrowave 351
    XMT 350 cc/cv
    MM 350P

Quote Originally Posted by psacustomcreations View Post
    That's a good idea and perfect timing. I have been trying to come up with ideas for stands for smaller and mid sized bells. I have a few ideas, I just need some time.
    I think I have 5 or 6 or heads, but they are all different sizes. I was thinking of welding each one to a thin piece of round bar that is then curved into a semi circle. The points would then be grouped in a "V" formation lime a flock of geese.
    Not trying to brag, but this past week or two have been crazy busy and incredibly lucky. That has put a lot of pressure on me to make more items. 10 days ago one guy bought the following two sculptures.
    Then this past weekend I sold two of my big bells at an art show.
    The rusty bell was in front of my booth and a lady bought it. 20 minutes later a different lady asked to buy that same bell. When I told person 2 the bell was sold, she asked what else I had. I showed her some pics of the blue bell and she bought it.

Cool projects, Pat.

I'm glad your art is being appreciated!

Terry
    ​Terry

**FORNEY**
    **THERMAL ARC**
    210 Fabricator
    181i
    **LINCOLN**
    Idealarc 250/250
    SA 200 (2)
    Ranger 305G LN-25 Pro
    **MILLER**
    Spectrum 625
    Maxstar 150STL
    Syncrowave 351
    XMT 350 cc/cv
    MM 350P

Quote Originally Posted by Lis2323 View Post
    Cool projects, Pat.

I'm glad your art is being appreciated!

Terry
    Terry,
    Thanks. I will try to be honest, and maybe this will help BD1 or others that do craft shows.
    The first day (Friday) was very slow for nearly all the other vendors I spoke with. Saturday morning started out slow and I was telling myself that I would not return next year. Right after lunch things turned around and I sold most of my items in a four hour time span.
    What was also a bit discouraging was that the vendors directly across from me were selling metal yard art made out of 1/4" round bar. Their largest piece at 5 feet tall was only $100 or so. Their prices were so low that I really think they were buying their items from China. Jerry aka Storeman, can verify that those prices were ridiculously low.
    I guess my point is that I felt I had fair prices for my items. While the prices may have they seemed expensive to some, others that saw and appreciated the quality agreed. If you are a vendor, have faith in yourself and your products.

Millermatic 252 MIG
    Miller Dynasty 200DX TIG
    Altas 12x36 Metal Lathe

Pat
    The price of your "piece" doesn't just reflect the creativity and imagination that went into it. It's also the value that you attach to it.

You're not mass producing art. Continue taking pride in your work and price it accordingly. Your "clients" don't work for free and shouldn't expect you to either.

Terry
    ​Terry

**FORNEY**
    **THERMAL ARC**
    210 Fabricator
    181i
    **LINCOLN**
    Idealarc 250/250
    SA 200 (2)
    Ranger 305G LN-25 Pro
    **MILLER**
    Spectrum 625
    Maxstar 150STL
    Syncrowave 351
    XMT 350 cc/cv
    MM 350P

Thanks Pat on posting. I stopped at a craft show to checkout the metal art vendors. Well I started talking to a guys wife who had a display and asked her how he could sell so cheap. I said that takes some time to clean metal , cut , weld , and then sell cheap. She said that we don't make it,just buy from a guy in bulk and he sends us the stuff.
    I know she slipped saying that because MOST times YOU are suppose to be the craftsman and only made in USA stuff can be sold.
    My first show was ok and having business cards out helps . I had a guy call me that was at the show two weeks earlier and wanted to come and see my plant holders. Well he bought both of them for $250.00. Another was a woman that bought a couple of my horseshoe tulips at the show. well she called a few weeks later and wanted 9 more tulips for a outdoor wedding . That was great and $180.00 in my pocket. I punch a hole in business my cards and use as a price tag . It paid off for sure .
    I did have a guy offer less than what I had marked for a item. I said , No and that I'll donate it before I sell for less.
    Another little boy stopped with his mother and loved my horseshoe minion. This little guy was going crazy over it. He wanted it but ma said no ; poor little guy started crying. As they walked away I asked mom if I could give it to him for free if that would be alright. She said sure. Well that smile and his look was worth more than the $40.00.

Quote Originally Posted by Rog02 View Post
    Hey Pat?

If you wouldn't mind, could you give us some insite into how you come up with your prices?

I have a boutique that likes my copper stuff and sell whatever I take them, for a 40% commission. I just want to make sure I'm not getting ripped. Since it is just hobby stuff, I don't count on the income but just want to make sure I'm not "giving it away".

Thanks
    Roger,
    Sorry for not responding earlier to this request. Somehow I missed this post.
    This ended up being longer than I thought, maybe a little rambling, and didn't cover some specifics. Hit me up with a PM if you want to talk on the phone.
    I am paying 35% commission to the gallery I use. All the other galleries I spoke to wanted to charge 40%. If they are selling everything you make, maybe try to adjust upward 10% or so. The idea is to increase the price 10% at a time until you see a 5% drop in sales.
    This is the second gallery where I have posted items. The first one had a different approach and I paid a monthly fee and then they charged 10% on each sale.
    A while ago I was able to travel out west and met Kevin Caron and asked him similar questions. He suggested leaving that gallery since they were making money off me whether I made a sale or not. Ultimately, that gallery went out of business.
    I am using this hobby to refine my artistic style, pay for my tools, get better at welding, and I also use this to relax.
    I approach my pricing from two different perspectives. One perspective being for my "craft" items and the other being for my "fine art".
    I put some of my yard art, bells, chimes, lamps, etc into the craft category. When I make those items I will frequently take an assembly line approach and make from 3 to 6 or so of those items at once. That allows a bit of time savings of course and I may be able to estimate that it took me 4 hours to make 6 bells. That includes painting.
    For this example, I will say I am using a scuba tank and three bells are the top third of a tank and three bells are the bottom two thirds. I know I can generally charge $50-75 each for the top portion of a tank. I can get from $80-150 each for the bottom.
    The variation in pricing results from how good the design and paint scheme looks. There are times I look at bells and can tell right away if it was successful. For simplicity, let's say that in 4 hours, I now have made 6 bells that result in $480 in sales.
    That may sound like I have a great hourly rate. That does not show reality. If I am going to sell online, I now have to take time to take pictures, upload them on my site, store them until they sell, pay for packing material, pack them up, drive to the post office or FedEx, etc.
    If I going to sell at an event. I have to pack them in my trailer, drive to the event maybe the day before and setup or arrive very early and set up. I have weighed my trailer and I move an average of 1100 to 1300 pounds of product for a typical show. I then spend 8 hours at a show. Suddenly I am not making such a great hourly rate.
    That weight of product to be taken in and out of the trailer plus getting older means these things aren't getting any easier. I know leave my trailer loaded for shows and just put it on jack stands in between shows. One of my lines I tell customers at shows is that they need to buy it so I don't have to take it home. If it is one of my yard art animals, I tell the customer that the pig or ladybug is going back to the farm or going to be locked up in my trailer.
    When it comes to fine art, take what you think you can get and then double it. I have found so far that when I speak to my gallery representative, we are usually within 10 percent of each other for prices. I have authorized her to adjust the price if she needs to make the sale. I also try to enter items in local art shows and have been fortunate to win some awards. Those awards help to adjust the price upwards.

Millermatic 252 MIG
    Miller Dynasty 200DX TIG
    Altas 12x36 Metal Lathe

Quote Originally Posted by dallas_ View Post
    Very cool projects on here. Gives me some more ideas to 'borrow'.

Scrap metal (well, except for the wood of course) chess set.

Attachment 1720871
    Very cool looking set.

Millermatic 252 MIG
    Miller Dynasty 200DX TIG
    Altas 12x36 Metal Lathe

Pat,

I was drinking beer at my collection of metal parts a few days back trying to come with ideas for stuff and got one involving plow points you might like.

In place of this bronze impeller I've got stood up between these two plow points how about a ring (hoop) about 4' in diameter? May be rolled out of something like 1/4 x 2" flat bar. Could be a pretty basic (but yet still sexy) holder for a bell out in a yard some where.

Attachment 1720801
    I looked at the plow points I have and was wrong at what I have. I think I just have so much stuff I lose track of what I actually have. I don't even know what most of these parts are or what they came from .

Millermatic 252 MIG
    Miller Dynasty 200DX TIG
    Altas 12x36 Metal Lathe

The rusty bell went to a lady in Saluda. The blue bell went to Josie. I think Josie was a bit jealous of the first lady getting that bell. If you have not been to Josies house, you need to go there. Her driveway is almost a half mile long and a quarter mile wide and lined with a great selection of art.
    Thanks again to you and your wife for stopping by my tent. I think one of Pat' s friends ended up buying a few things from me. I ended up driving to and from Mathews five times in five days including this morning when I had to drop off an item for Josie.

Pat
    I've known Josie since she moved here in the early 90s, I think. She lives 2 lanes over. Used to call me anytime her cobbled together wiring didn't work at the boat lift. First time she called here was about 2am. She said "You don't know me but my name is Josie T*****, and someone told me to call you". My late wife really got a kick out of that...not. (I was still on active duty then so it must have been 92 or so.)

Quite a collection she is building. Has plans to have a full size caboose out there someday and has saved some track behind the Post Office/General Store building she owns to support the caboose.

Not surprised about the bell at the front door. She is a piece of work.
    Jerry
    Last edited by storeman; 09-12-2017 at 03:35 PM.
    30+ yrs Army Infantry & Field Artillery, 24 yrs ago

Miller 350LX Tig Runner
    TA 210, spool gun
    Lincoln 250/250 IdealArc
    ESAB PCM 500i Plasma
    Kazoo 30" vert BS
    Kazoo 9x16 horiz BS
    Clausing 12x24 lathe
    20T Air Press

Quote Originally Posted by BD1 View Post
    Another little boy stopped with his mother and loved my horseshoe minion. This little guy was going crazy over it. He wanted it but ma said no ; poor little guy started crying. As they walked away I asked mom if I could give it to him for free if that would be alright. She said sure. Well that smile and his look was worth more than the $40.00.
    I'll bet she has him trained to do that at all the shows. You old softie.
    Jerry

Miller 350LX Tig Runner
    TA 210, spool gun
    Lincoln 250/250 IdealArc
    ESAB PCM 500i Plasma
    Kazoo 30" vert BS
    Kazoo 9x16 horiz BS
    Clausing 12x24 lathe
    20T Air Press

Quote Originally Posted by storeman View Post
    Pat
    I've known Josie since she moved here in the early 90s, I think. She lives 2 lanes over. Used to call me anytime her cobbled together wiring didn't work at the boat lift. First time she called here was about 2am. She said "You don't know me but my name is Josie T*****, and someone told me to call you". My late wife really got a kick out of that...not. (I was still on active duty then so it must have been 92 or so.)

Quite a collection she is building. Has plans to have a full size caboose out there someday and has saved some track behind the Post Office/General Store building she owns to support the caboose.

Not surprised about the bell at the front door. She is a piece of work.
    Jerry
    I didn't realize you were so close to her. I spent an hour at her place on Sunday. Her other neighbor had been interested in the rusty bell but he was trying to low ball me on the price. I had no idea he was her neighbor until I told the story to Josie and she told me she knew him. That neighbor called me Sunday and asked me to make another of the rusty bell for him but we still haven't agreed on price.
    Josie ordered two of my bumblebees and I have to drop them off near the first weekend in October when I go to another event in Newport News. I told my wife about Josie and will bring her up to look at Josie's house. We may stop by your store but I will give you a call ahead of time.

Millermatic 252 MIG
    Miller Dynasty 200DX TIG
    Altas 12x36 Metal Lathe

Found this odd bit sitting in the corner of the shop and couldn't remember why I made it..... so I turned it into something different.

Name:  IMG_5901.jpg
Views: 528
Size:  105.6 KB

I don't have any use for a curly-cue, but at least it looks nicer. Maybe once I start doing fairs, it'll help hold down the business cards.....

Name:  IMG_5965.jpg
Views: 531
Size:  153.5 KB

You could always put a little less of twist into it and leave it a bit like a double scroll and use it to hang a bell.
    Millermatic 252 MIG
    Miller Dynasty 200DX TIG
    Altas 12x36 Metal Lathe

I didn't realize you were so close to her. I spent an hour at her place on Sunday. Her other neighbor had been interested in the rusty bell but he was trying to low ball me on the price. I had no idea he was her neighbor until I told the story to Josie and she told me she knew him. That neighbor called me Sunday and asked me to make another of the rusty bell for him but we still haven't agreed on price.
    Josie ordered two of my bumblebees and I have to drop them off near the first weekend in October when I go to another event in Newport News. I told my wife about Josie and will bring her up to look at Josie's house. We may stop by your store but I will give you a call ahead of time.

Great.

Miller 350LX Tig Runner
    TA 210, spool gun
    Lincoln 250/250 IdealArc
    ESAB PCM 500i Plasma
    Kazoo 30" vert BS
    Kazoo 9x16 horiz BS
    Clausing 12x24 lathe
    20T Air Press

You could always put a little less of twist into it and leave it a bit like a double scroll and use it to hang a bell.
    Good idea! I still have to make the finial for that cylinder I cut in half, so maybe a nice double scroll hanger is in order......

Quote Originally Posted by VaughnT View Post
    Good idea! I still have to make the finial for that cylinder I cut in half, so maybe a nice double scroll hanger is in order......
    The texture on that is really nice. I have been experimenting with different textures lately on some of my art pieces. If there is a way to continue that texture on the rest of the finial or maybe on parts of the bell, I think it would be a home run.
    Millermatic 252 MIG
    Miller Dynasty 200DX TIG
    Altas 12x36 Metal Lathe

Quote Originally Posted by ndcent View Post
    Nail heads.
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by DAVE94LIGHTNING View Post
    On those I just grind a small groove in the rock so that the steel rod can fit into the groove.
    IC, Thanks!

psa,

I like that auger piece. I like the look of spiraly things myself and I usually put some effort into getting off with any auger or screw flighting I come across when out roaming about. You just never know when you might develop a need for such things.

Attachment 1715701

A couple more random pieces of auger I've got on hand in the foreground of this picture. Am planning to stand the piece with the scroll work in it up on the round gear piece (on the right). Thought it might be good for setting in the garden next year as a trellis for some viney type vegetable plant to grow up on. And I'm seeing those round rings in the back welded together and then stood up off that plow point (the base) with a harrow disc set on top for another bird hygiene station. I use to have about three times as many of those rings but I let buddy talk me out of a good number of them. If I still had them (or find more) I might just extend the rings up until it was 8' tall for use as a trellis.

Attachment 1715711

A bird bath on the right made out of two discs and a piece of auger. The thing on the left is still a work in progress. I've got the bearing mount that goes on the shaft sticking up out of the top of it. The current plan is to get that flipped over and the bearing mount welded to the base so it can spin and then attach a large diameter fan blade (like from a poultry barn fan) horizontally on top. Thought that might be pretty cool as a yard art "wind spinner". My excuse for not having it done already is that I haven't found a big enough fan blade yet.

Attachment 1715721
    HT-2 Your lawnmower looks like it's had about as hard a season as mine!

Quote Originally Posted by Mrcarcrazy View Post
    Okay awesome so it is doable!! Mine is only from a 4 banger. I've got a buddy with a lathe, I'll beg him to help me out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    You'll need to beg pretty hard. End drilling something long like that can be a real pain and time consuming. All the in out and clearing chips. One of my least favorite tasks on the lathe.

Quote Originally Posted by storeman View Post
    I'll bet she has him trained to do that at all the shows. You old softie.
    Jerry
    Well I've been around awhile and I really thought the little guy was real .
    I'm doing another show in October so I'll see. :

Pat:

Thanks for your response! Guess I don't have such a bad deal after all, as the boutique owner prices the stuff higher than I would, but she knows her market.

I know you do the "rustical" patina a lot but thought you might like to see this, https://www.ganoksin.com/article/met...el-patination/

A cold applied paint on copper plating for steel. Could prove interesting to mix in some copper patina tones to the rust.

Patina recipes:
    https://www.sciencecompany.com/Patin...nd-Copper.aspx
    Last edited by Rog02; 09-14-2017 at 02:13 PM. Reason: Forgot the second link
    Roger
    Old, Tired, and GRUMPY

Salesman will call, Batteries not included, Assembly is required, and FREE ADVICE IS WORTH EXACTLY WHAT YOU PAY FOR IT!

Dial Arc 250HF
    Thunderbolt 225 AC/DC

Assorted A/O torches

Quote Originally Posted by Rog02 View Post
    Pat:

Thanks for your response! Guess I don't have such a bad deal after all, as the boutique owner prices the stuff higher than I would, but she knows her market.

I know you do the "rustical" patina a lot but thought you might like to see this, https://www.ganoksin.com/article/met...el-patination/

A cold applied paint on copper plating for steel. Could prove interesting to mix in some copper patina tones to the rust.

Patina recipes:
    https://www.sciencecompany.com/Patin...nd-Copper.aspx
    Thanks Roger. I have randomly "dry brushed" some blue/green paint on a few pieces to add some color as well.

Millermatic 252 MIG
    Miller Dynasty 200DX TIG
    Altas 12x36 Metal Lathe