Hello - Here's a "new" welder - haven't heard about yet - opinions?
RSS | Subscribe | Contact Us | Advertise | About Us

Hello - Here's a "new" welder - haven't heard about yet - opinions?

Anyone heard of this Hot Max line? From a company called Kdar, I believe.

Particularly interesting is the Hot Max 135WFG - variable speed wire AND VOLTAGE. They can be found for less than $350.

I'll try and get some pictures of it this weekend, if I can stop by there. Looks like it uses Tweco gun parts/consumables, 2 year warranty, etc. If I were a betting man, I'd say it's a Chinese job.

Application - tubing welding/go karts/home hobby stuff that requires a little finese, not brute strength. I am shopping, but not all excited about this one - at least not yet anyway.

If you were to evaluate it - what would you look for?

ChuckC
    Houston

Re: Hello - Here's a "new" welder - haven't heard about yet - opinions?

Quote Originally Posted by ChuckC View Post
    If you were to evaluate it - what would you look for?
    ChuckC
    Houston
    Made in China tag...
    Lincoln PowerTig 275
    Miller 251
    Miller DialArc 250
    Bridgeport mill
    Hossfeld bender with dies
    Logan shaper
    Jet 14 X 40 lathe
    South Bend 9 model 'C'...sometimes a 'B'
    Hypertherm 900
    Ellis 3000 band saw
    Too small a shop...too many tools

If you have never heard of one, why would you even look at it aside from simple curiosity?
    You can speed up the voltage too?
    Awesome!
    Buy American, or don't whine when you end up on the bread line.

Shoot - who WOULDN'T want faster electrons??? I mean, look at all the work they had to go to with that super collider in Europe - sheesh! Shoulda' just asked the Chinese. I bet if you reverse the polarity, you could shoot some pretty quick protons as well.

Seriously, though - sheer morbid curiosity. It would seem only a matter of time before they come out in bare minimum/usable quality. No other mig in that price range or any where near it has variable voltage that I know of.

For me, personally - just picked up a "brand new, used once" Sears mig 180. Guy really did only use it once - look like it came out of the box this morning: all the accessories, tips, cart, etc. etc. All for $250. Weird; Sears markets the WE205040 welder as a "180", but it's clearly a 150 amp/220V mig. How does that work?

I know it's a Clarke, but for the price, how could I loose? I know nothing of Clarkes, though besides them being out of business. I'm actually upgrading from a HF Tig (I am a hobby welder) that I got pretty good with, but was tired of going so slow.

Anyone have any experience with this Sears/Clarke 150Amp Mig?