powcon 200sm dead short
RSS | Subscribe | Contact Us | Advertise | About Us

powcon 200sm dead short

Hello all, I have a 200sm that's been in the family for years. Recently it started tripping the breaker at the moment it is switched on and once the breaker was switched on the welder would fire up and run like normal and then one night i went to weld with it and as soon as i hit the trigger on the feeder it would trip the break 50amp. While it was running I started to unscrew the pin connector for the feeder it even would trip. I checked the diodes on the bridge rectifier and they read ok as well as the two capacitors that are visible. It is wired for 220 single phase and always has been. Any help or guidance would be appreciated.

Thanks

Name:  powcon 01.jpg
Views: 280
Size:  53.8 KB
    Name:  powcon 02.jpg
Views: 269
Size:  54.6 KB

Re: powcon 200sm dead short

Call these guys. The original coinventor of the PowCon machines owns this company and they do provide some tech support for these machines. They're very friendly and go above and beyond to help ppl out.

www.arconweld.com

Are you sure your breaker in your service panel isn't weak?
    Arcon Workhorse 300MS
    Powcon 400SMT
    Powcon SM400 x 2
    Powcon SM300
    1968 SA200 Redface
    1978 SA250 Diesel
    Miller Super 32P Feeder
    Pre 1927 American 14" High Duty Lathe
    K&T Milwaukee 2H Horizontal Mill

Bryan

You most likely now have two problems. First the cause of the power line switch / breaker tripping on first power up. This is caused by the blue buss caps. The top set.
    But you might want to replace both sets at this time. But sense you have kept switching and tripping the switch/breaker you have damaged it. The hold in latch inside the breaker has worn out. So to make this unit working again you will need to replace the caps and the switch /breaker.
    If you have a breaker supply and repair place close by they might be able to repair or find a replacement breaker for you if Arcon doesn't have any. They should have the caps.
    You can down load owners manuals from their web site with parts lists.

Thanks for the replies, The caps tested fine and the breaker was new about two years ago. I have it narrowed down to either one or both of the scr's or the circuit board. A coworker too kit home to do a proper scr test. I was talking to Arcon and this is where they suspected the problem might lye. When i pull the gate wires for the scrs, off of the board the welder turns on and does not trip breaker. Im hoping its not the board. used parts are hard to come by

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Arsenault View Post
    Thanks for the replies, The caps tested fine and the breaker was new about two years ago. I have it narrowed down to either one or both of the scr's or the circuit board. A coworker too kit home to do a proper scr test. I was talking to Arcon and this is where they suspected the problem might lye. When i pull the gate wires for the scrs, off of the board the welder turns on and does not trip breaker. Im hoping its not the board. used parts are hard to come by
    If you are looking at replacement parts you can try mouser electronics. I don't know what I have left exactly for parts. If you get in a big jam let me know and i'll go look.
    Arcon Workhorse 300MS
    Powcon 400SMT
    Powcon SM400 x 2
    Powcon SM300
    1968 SA200 Redface
    1978 SA250 Diesel
    Miller Super 32P Feeder
    Pre 1927 American 14" High Duty Lathe
    K&T Milwaukee 2H Horizontal Mill

Bryan

Thanks. Does mouser have a website? I will see what we come up with. One other thing to note is that the welder stopped making its clicking noise when all this started to happen.

I think Mouser is a sister company to newark electronics and should have a web site.