Powermax 350
RSS | Subscribe | Contact Us | Advertise | About Us

Thread: Powermax 350

Powermax 350

I purchased a used Powermax 350 that is not working. I knew it was not working, but got it a price that won't hurt me if I can't get it working.

The machine will turn on and the fan works, but there are no lights on the front control panel when you turn it on. The air pressure warning light will turn on when the air pressure is disconnected or turned down. There is no arc when I pull the trigger on the gun.

There is one small burned spot on the front control panel board. The big board apprears to be OK. The replacement board is $436. Is there any place that can diagnois (SP?) and repair the board.

Thanks

Re: Powermax 350

You can download a service and owners manuals from hypertherm.
    But you are on your own to try to figure out how to repair pc boards. Hypertherm does not give out circuit diagrams, Call Hypertherm tech support, describe whats burnt and see what information you can get.

Already tried all of that. They will not attempt to repair a burnt board. I am looking for a local board "expert/hacker" that may be able to help. At $436 and no assurance that this is the problem I don't want to get too deep in repair costs as a similar new cutter can be found for a little over $1,000 online.

Quote Originally Posted by tallgrass View Post
    Already tried all of that. They will not attempt to repair a burnt board. I am looking for a local board "expert/hacker" that may be able to help. At $436 and no assurance that this is the problem I don't want to get too deep in repair costs as a similar new cutter can be found for a little over $1,000 online.
    this is why when you posted the machine as the model 1250 it was a better deal.
    bigger gamble with the 350 as the pm30 is better @ around $1000.
    maybe theres a local dealer who can look at it and tell you if there is more problems than just the one board.

The 350 unit....which may be 15 years or more old.....was built for Hypertherm by Miller. You may be able to find parts with a similar Miller or Hobart unit. The torch was made by Hypertherm. The boards are old out of date parts, which unfortunately adds to the price.

Jim

I have a frined who owns a machining company with several very large CNC milling machines and the 350 is with his mainance man now. If they can't firure it out I will just go buy a new one.

Thanks for all of the advice and help for a newby.

There is a Go Zillion companies on the web that repair circuit boards. Most have an inexpensive flat rate and they can fix anything! Dont even thing about buying a new one. I have had several repaired recently for a fraction of the cost of a new one. One was off a Miller mig welder. It looked like toast. 65 bucks and a week and a half later it was working like new!
    Weller Soldering Gun! YA!!!!
    Millermatic 210
    Hypertherm Powermax600
    Hypertherm Powermax45
    Smith Torch Propane & Acetylene
    Snap On Tools!
    Snap On Tools!
    Even More Snap On Tools!
    Lots and Lots of Cool Guy Stuff!