Written weld test?
RSS | Subscribe | Contact Us | Advertise | About Us

Written weld test?

Tomorrow im applying for a mig welding position at a farm equipment plant, and i was told i need to take a written weld test. I was just wondering if you guys have any tips on what to expect. I figure there will be questions on weld symbols, basic welding procedures, and safety but i don't know what else to expect.

Thanks in advance

Re: Written weld test?

Blueprint reading stuff could possibly on the test also.

Good luck to ya.

That is usually a supervisor position, but heck, go for it.

In my neck of the woods, experience and a weld test are in order. Prior certifications or qualifications help. I usually find that someone that can pass a written test can't weld worth a damn.

Ask if you can bring your reference materials with you like filler metals guide, and AWS weld symbols chart.

Maybe they will have you critique a weld proceedure?

Again, good luck!

I would expect a basic written weld test at that sort of facility to cover safety, proper set-up and operation of the machines (ESO, wire diameters, filler classification, gas types, polarity, ect)

I dont know whats wrong with your neck of the woods but I can pass any written weld test you can dream of, and weld better than you too.
    Have we all gone mad?

thanks for the replies guys, i ended up taking the test yesterday and it was 100 questions long. The test was all about basic mig welding procedures and had some measurement, and blue print reading questions.

Now i have another question. I have an interview with this company tomorrow and they told me to be prepared for a weld test.

I'm just wondering what i should wear to the interview? Should i wear a dress shirt and khaki pants, and bring along clothes to weld in. Or should i go in wearing a nice work short, and new jeans. I just dont want to go in and look like an idiot.
    By the way, this is just an entry level mig welding position.
    Thanks in advance

Just wear a nice work shirt, jeans and work boots. If they told you to be prepared to weld then you need to be wearing clothes to weld in, albeit clean and nice clothes (as in no holes or stains) to weld in. It'd be kind of awkward to have to stop and change clothes in the middle of an interview. Good luck to you, I hope you get the job.
    Powcon 400SM
    2-PD60 wire feeders
    Miller XR control
    Alumapro push/pull gun
    Speedglas 9100x
    BFH

Quote Originally Posted by sn0border88 View Post
    I would expect a basic written weld test at that sort of facility to cover safety, proper set-up and operation of the machines (ESO, wire diameters, filler classification, gas types, polarity, ect)

I dont know whats wrong with your neck of the woods but I can pass any written weld test you can dream of, and weld better than you too.
    LOL. I caught an "air" of cockyness there hah.

I think most people on WW can weld quite well, and I get a chuckle daily on the new guys with the "Hey how's my welds" threads that look like obvious bird **** spatter, where everyone controls themselves and scrambles for polite ways to say the weld looks like ****, and you can do THIS to improve it, but ultimately I laugh at it, knowing that every single one of us made our first welds look like bird****, and if you say you didn't you're a big fecking liar lol..

Who agrees?

I know my first welds looked like hell. I almost wonder why the guy looking at them didn't bust out laughing thinking back aha.

Back to topic.. I do wonder why they'd make you write just a written?.
    That's potentially a set up for disaster unless you really can well awesomely.

Written should be accompanied by hands on weld test no?

They're just trying to weed out the guys who call themselves welders cause they've made a few repairs with some flux core wire.
    Anyway, I'd bring MY OWN helmet and gloves to this test.
    One time I went to a weld test and they gave me a crappy helmet with a shade 13 glass in it and a pair of crummy work gloves that didn't fit right...
    Good luck!
    Measure twice, cut once.

Millermatic 211
    Millermatic 251
    Miller Dynasty 200DX
    ESAB O/A Set-up