Ultra flex orange whip lead
RSS | Subscribe | Contact Us | Advertise | About Us
Results 1 to 19 of 19
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Hellinois
    Posts
    4,822

    Ultra flex orange whip lead

    I was wondering what size whip lead you guys use on your stingers? I was looking at getting some of that ultra flex orange whip lead. What amperage is 15' of # 2 and # 1 good for?
    "Where's Stick man????????" - 7A749
    "SHHHHHH!! I sent him over to snag that MIC-4 while tbone wasn't looking!" - duaneb55
    "I have bought a few of Tbone's things unlike Stick-Man who helps himself" - TozziWelding
    "Stick-man"

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    VA
    Posts
    1,071

    Re: Ultra flex orange whip lead

    #2 = 200, #1 = 250. I use #4 on my small stinger that I run 3/32 7018 with and occasional 1/8. I found this chart... http://gencable.com/index.shtml?cables/weld.htm ...other brands may vary...

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    NY by way of TX, CA, MI, CT,...
    Posts
    100

    Re: Ultra flex orange whip lead

    People have been recommending this place for lead. Supposed to be high quality and good prices....

    http://www.trystar.com/

    Haven't tried them myself, yet.

    I think they also have an ebay store where they sell lead at a discount, can't recall the seller's name thou. I'll see if I can't find it.
    mens agitat molem

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    NY by way of TX, CA, MI, CT,...
    Posts
    100

    Re: Ultra flex orange whip lead

    Ah-ha!

    Found it...

    http://shop.ebay.com/merchant/coppercableman

    They even print your name and number on the lead for free and ship for free.

    Nice.
    mens agitat molem

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Maryland
    Posts
    723

    Re: Ultra flex orange whip lead

    I run a 10' whip of ultra flex 1/0 with a bernard short stub holder.
    Lincoln
    300 Vantage 2008
    300 Commander 1999
    SA250 1999
    SA200 1968

    Miller
    Syncrowave 200
    XMT350MPA/S-52E/xr-15
    Xtreme 12vs
    Millermatic 251 w/30A
    Millermatic 251
    Dialarc 250

    Hypertherm 1250
    GEKA & Bantom Ironwokers

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Hellinois
    Posts
    4,822

    Re: Ultra flex orange whip lead

    Quote Originally Posted by welds4d View Post
    #2 = 200, #1 = 250. I use #4 on my small stinger that I run 3/32 7018 with and occasional 1/8. I found this chart... http://gencable.com/index.shtml?cables/weld.htm ...other brands may vary...
    But those ratings are for 50'. I am only going to use a 10' - 15' whip attached to 1/0 main leads.
    Last edited by Stick-man; 05-19-2011 at 11:24 PM.
    "Where's Stick man????????" - 7A749
    "SHHHHHH!! I sent him over to snag that MIC-4 while tbone wasn't looking!" - duaneb55
    "I have bought a few of Tbone's things unlike Stick-Man who helps himself" - TozziWelding
    "Stick-man"

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Hellinois
    Posts
    4,822

    Re: Ultra flex orange whip lead

    Quote Originally Posted by ncfh View Post
    People have been recommending this place for lead. Supposed to be high quality and good prices....

    http://www.trystar.com/

    Haven't tried them myself, yet.

    I think they also have an ebay store where they sell lead at a discount, can't recall the seller's name thou. I'll see if I can't find it.
    Last time I checked, they were a little high on price. I like the name option, but I would rather save the $.
    "Where's Stick man????????" - 7A749
    "SHHHHHH!! I sent him over to snag that MIC-4 while tbone wasn't looking!" - duaneb55
    "I have bought a few of Tbone's things unlike Stick-Man who helps himself" - TozziWelding
    "Stick-man"

  8. #8
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Orange, TX
    Posts
    11,702

    Re: Ultra flex orange whip lead

    At 250A, 15' of #2 will yield a 1.4V drop and 15' of #1 1.1V. Both would be considered very acceptable.
    MM200 w/Spoolmatic 1
    Syncrowave 180SD
    Bobcat 225G Plus - LP/NG
    MUTT Suitcase Wirefeeder
    WC-1S/Spoolmatic 1
    HF-251D-1
    PakMaster 100XL
    SA-200 Blackface Code# 8638
    Star Jet 21-110

    Two term limit - one in office, one in jail.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Hellinois
    Posts
    4,822

    Re: Ultra flex orange whip lead

    Quote Originally Posted by Xtreme Fabrication View Post
    I run a 10' whip of ultra flex 1/0 with a bernard short stub holder.
    I think I have #1 regular lead on my Tweco 316 & 732 and 1/0 regular on my short stub.

    I was looking to lighten the Twecos to maybe #2 or #1 ultraflex.
    "Where's Stick man????????" - 7A749
    "SHHHHHH!! I sent him over to snag that MIC-4 while tbone wasn't looking!" - duaneb55
    "I have bought a few of Tbone's things unlike Stick-Man who helps himself" - TozziWelding
    "Stick-man"

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    3,422

    Re: Ultra flex orange whip lead

    i have that orange whip. i think for the price i would have been happier with ten foot of regular #2....
    Attached Images Attached Images  

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Hellinois
    Posts
    4,822

    Re: Ultra flex orange whip lead

    Quote Originally Posted by duaneb55 View Post
    At 250A, 15' of #2 will yield a 1.4V drop and 15' of #1 1.1V. Both would be considered very acceptable.
    Thanks Duane. But, can you explain how you determine if it is acceptable? Is it the voltage drop? How do you calculate that including the length consideration?

    I'm pretty lost when it comes to electrical. I have performed pretty much any trade, except that. It REALLY lets you know when you've messed up.
    "Where's Stick man????????" - 7A749
    "SHHHHHH!! I sent him over to snag that MIC-4 while tbone wasn't looking!" - duaneb55
    "I have bought a few of Tbone's things unlike Stick-Man who helps himself" - TozziWelding
    "Stick-man"

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Hellinois
    Posts
    4,822

    Re: Ultra flex orange whip lead

    Quote Originally Posted by weldbead View Post
    i have that orange whip. i think for the price i would have been happier with ten foot of regular #2....
    So the comfort benefits do not out weigh the price? I have never seen the ultraflex in my hands. I've just read and heard it's nice.
    "Where's Stick man????????" - 7A749
    "SHHHHHH!! I sent him over to snag that MIC-4 while tbone wasn't looking!" - duaneb55
    "I have bought a few of Tbone's things unlike Stick-Man who helps himself" - TozziWelding
    "Stick-man"

  13. #13
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Orange, TX
    Posts
    11,702

    Re: Ultra flex orange whip lead

    Quote Originally Posted by Stick-man View Post
    Thanks Duane. But, can you explain how you determine if it is acceptable? Is it the voltage drop? How do you calculate that including the length consideration?

    I'm pretty lost when it comes to electrical. I have performed pretty much any trade, except that. It REALLY lets you know when you've messed up.
    This is one of the calculators (at the bottom of the chart) I use for voltage drop checks. http://www.gadgetjq.com/wiring_size_guide.htm

    The actual voltage value you select is not important as the voltage drop is determined by amperes and wire/cable size and is the same regardless although it does affect the calculated % of drop so you may have to calculate that figure yourself once you know the total voltage loss and based on the rated/known weld voltage (not OCV). I like to stay under 3% total loss.
    MM200 w/Spoolmatic 1
    Syncrowave 180SD
    Bobcat 225G Plus - LP/NG
    MUTT Suitcase Wirefeeder
    WC-1S/Spoolmatic 1
    HF-251D-1
    PakMaster 100XL
    SA-200 Blackface Code# 8638
    Star Jet 21-110

    Two term limit - one in office, one in jail.

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    eastern u.s.
    Posts
    582

    Re: Ultra flex orange whip lead

    I don't like this type of cable for either my leads or for a whip. I know, I might be the only welder in the world that is saying that, but honestly I despise it.

    Its heavy for its cable size, and weight does mean something to me.

    The twist is different and so is the individual wire size. That also has proved out to be a factor too.

    I wouldn't buy it, I don't like using it, nor would I recommend it. Thats how strongly I feel about this orange stuff.

    I'd rather use plain old black cable. I know what it is.

    Yea it's not all that flexible, but its twisted tightly and it is made of very small wires. Get some cross feeding going on and you'll understand why that might be important...

    If it gets stolen I loose money, but I don't loose double!!!!

    Count me out of the orange cable (whip) movement. I'll stay with the black stuff.

    And for the question about what size whip cable do you need..... "if you find yourself thinking about your cable while you're welding then its too big". It should be - seamless man. You should not be thinking about how you're going to do this or that because of that big heavy whip cable. If you are then you need a smaller cable. "it'll burn up!!!". Yea, and when it does then replace it. See, thats easy to.

    Good luck
    Later
    Last edited by slowhand; 05-20-2011 at 07:12 PM.

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    TEXAS
    Posts
    398

    Re: Ultra flex orange whip lead

    I'll second what slowhand stated. #1 black cable does everything I need. I used to air arc all day with 1/0 cable and 3/8" air arc rods. Slowed down long enough for the compressor to catch up. So that's running 400 ? 450 amps at near 100% duty cycle ? I don't air arc because nobody calls me for that type of work anymore. Save some money and your back and buy the black #1 or #2. Not saying it isn't a good idea to have the heavier cable ready for larger jobs - -if you get into jobs that require it.

  16. #16
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Hellinois
    Posts
    4,822

    Re: Ultra flex orange whip lead

    Quote Originally Posted by duaneb55 View Post
    This is one of the calculators (at the bottom of the chart) I use for voltage drop checks. http://www.gadgetjq.com/wiring_size_guide.htm

    The actual voltage value you select is not important as the voltage drop is determined by amperes and wire/cable size and is the same regardless although it does affect the calculated % of drop so you may have to calculate that figure yourself once you know the total voltage loss and based on the rated/known weld voltage (not OCV). I like to stay under 3% total loss.
    Thanks Duane, I'll have to play with that. And then I will PM you with my questions!
    "Where's Stick man????????" - 7A749
    "SHHHHHH!! I sent him over to snag that MIC-4 while tbone wasn't looking!" - duaneb55
    "I have bought a few of Tbone's things unlike Stick-Man who helps himself" - TozziWelding
    "Stick-man"

  17. #17
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Hellinois
    Posts
    4,822

    Re: Ultra flex orange whip lead

    Quote Originally Posted by slowhand View Post
    Its heavy for its cable size, and weight does mean something to me.

    And for the question about what size whip cable do you need..... "if you find yourself thinking about your cable while you're welding then its too big". It should be - seamless man. You should not be thinking about how you're going to do this or that because of that big heavy whip cable. If you are then you need a smaller cable. "it'll burn up!!!". Yea, and when it does then replace it. See, thats easy to.

    Good luck
    Later
    This is exactly why I was going to go with smaller whips. When I was making those chicken ladders I posted about, MAN! three hundred chicken ladders = 1200 one inch welds and 20 lbs. of 1/8" 7018.

    So I bought a 200A stinger and a 10' 4ga lead just for this work to lighten the load on my shoulder. Then I was thinking of litening up my other stingers. But if the orange stuff weighs more, forget it. I will just go with a 2ga and a 1ga black.
    "Where's Stick man????????" - 7A749
    "SHHHHHH!! I sent him over to snag that MIC-4 while tbone wasn't looking!" - duaneb55
    "I have bought a few of Tbone's things unlike Stick-Man who helps himself" - TozziWelding
    "Stick-man"

  18. #18
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    4,264

    Re: Ultra flex orange whip lead

    Try old gas-cooled TIG power cables if you can get them. We just dyked off copper TIP of the cable end, slid off the threaded fittings, and squashed the ends in our QDs/electrode holders.

    Flexy, work fine, and according to the pipe weldor instructor this is very common on jobsites and a great use for leaky TIG cables. I made a bunch of them for the students and they were quite popular.

  19. #19
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Hellinois
    Posts
    4,822

    Re: Ultra flex orange whip lead

    Quote Originally Posted by Stick-man View Post
    This is exactly why I was going to go with smaller whips. When I was making those chicken ladders I posted about, MAN! three hundred chicken ladders = 1200 one inch welds and 20 lbs. of 1/8" 7018.

    So I bought a 200A stinger and a 10' 4ga lead just for this work to lighten the load on my shoulder. Then I was thinking of litening up my other stingers. But if the orange stuff weighs more, forget it. I will just go with a 2ga and a 1ga black.
    Sorry to quote myself, here's a pic. Can't wait to feel the difference.

    Name:  test 482.jpg
Views: 1692
Size:  93.5 KB
    "Where's Stick man????????" - 7A749
    "SHHHHHH!! I sent him over to snag that MIC-4 while tbone wasn't looking!" - duaneb55
    "I have bought a few of Tbone's things unlike Stick-Man who helps himself" - TozziWelding
    "Stick-man"

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
RSS | Home | Penton Media | Contact Us | Subscribe | For Advertisers | Terms of Use | Privacy Statement