Federal trial over
RSS | Subscribe | Contact Us | Advertise | About Us
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 32
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    15

    Federal trial over

    After four days of deliberations, the 10-person jury in the federal welding rod suit returned a verdict ruling on all counts against the plaintiff, Ernesto G. Solis, and for the industry defendants, Lincoln Electric Holdings Inc., Hobart Brothers Co., TDY Industries Inc. and ESAB Group.
    The jury returned to the courtroom at about 11:30 a.m., Tuesday, June 26, and announced their decision.
    Solis, a civilian maintenance worker at a Navy base in Corpus Christi, Texas, claimed that years of contact with fumes from welding rods exposed him to toxic manganese and caused an illness – manganism – with symptoms similar to Parkinson’s disease.
    He claimed that warning labels on containers of welding rods were not sufficient to protect him from the illness.
    The civil suit was heard in U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Ohio in Cleveland, and was expected to set a a precedent for about 3,800 similar cases. All of the civil suits were consolidated before U.S. District Judge Kathleen O’Malley in Cleveland.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    BULVERDE, TX.
    Posts
    1,474

    Re: Federal trial over

    Intresting. It would seem to reasonable people...if they exist anymore , that if the fumes were as bad as they are made out to be, we'd all be dropping like flies. No doubt they are somewhat hazardous, but then so is tap water. Ever see a MSDS sheet on tap water? Scary!

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Sarnia,Ontario
    Posts
    115

    Re: Federal trial over

    Quote Originally Posted by Kim at WDF
    After four days of deliberations, the 10-person jury in the federal welding rod suit returned a verdict ruling on all counts against the plaintiff, Ernesto G. Solis, and for the industry defendants, Lincoln Electric Holdings Inc., Hobart Brothers Co., TDY Industries Inc. and ESAB Group.
    The jury returned to the courtroom at about 11:30 a.m., Tuesday, June 26, and announced their decision.
    Solis, a civilian maintenance worker at a Navy base in Corpus Christi, Texas, claimed that years of contact with fumes from welding rods exposed him to toxic manganese and caused an illness – manganism – with symptoms similar to Parkinson’s disease.
    He claimed that warning labels on containers of welding rods were not sufficient to protect him from the illness.
    The civil suit was heard in U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Ohio in Cleveland, and was expected to set a a precedent for about 3,800 similar cases. All of the civil suits were consolidated before U.S. District Judge Kathleen O’Malley in Cleveland.
    Very interesting tidbit of imformation but you left out one part....what exactly was the verdict?

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Las Vegas, NV
    Posts
    3,174

    Re: Federal trial over

    Quote Originally Posted by Kim at WDF
    ...returned a verdict ruling on all counts against the plaintiff, Ernesto G. Solis, and for the industry defendants, Lincoln Electric Holdings Inc., Hobart Brothers Co., TDY Industries Inc. and ESAB Group.
    The verdict is right there.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Sarnia,Ontario
    Posts
    115

    Re: Federal trial over

    Thanks for clearing that up for me Mac
    I guess I should have read that a little slower the first,second,and third time.....lol

  6. #6
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    15

    Re: Federal trial over

    Quote Originally Posted by DDA52
    ...that if the fumes were as bad as they are made out to be, we'd all be dropping like flies.
    Manganism is the welders equivilant to Black Lung for miners. Not everyone will get it but there is a signifacant occupational hazard that could be drastically reduced if employers were required to provide fresh air supply to all welders. For more information http://www.manganese411.org/?src=googlead

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    752

    Re: Federal trial over

    I've worked in SOME of the nastiest places/conditions for smoke /fumes imaginable . &hottest. Try doing your thing in tight tanks in a submarine. Like air-arcing with a 1/2 inch carbon @900-1200 amps. usually i'd get a 4" diameter sucker hose in with me & possibly a good (approved two cartridge) respirator and i'd make out o k . With a sucker hose , many times , i didn't feel that I needed a fresh air hose , while sucking out the smoke &metal fumes , the fresh air comes in and replaces the bad air going out . (hope this all makes sense)
    [SIZE="5
    "Yardbird"

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    Iuka Mississippi
    Posts
    423

    Re: Federal trial over

    The risk is there. Employers do not always stress respiratory protection. Smoke is bad. Lawyers are sometimes bad. Protection is available.

    I like to weld!, I have respiratory problems, I did stupid things. All of the welding rods I have opened since 1980 have had a warning as far as I can remember.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Central Illinois
    Posts
    112

    Re: Federal trial over

    Quote Originally Posted by gaustin View Post
    The risk is there. Employers do not always stress respiratory protection. Smoke is bad. Lawyers are sometimes bad. Protection is available.

    I like to weld!, I have respiratory problems, I did stupid things. All of the welding rods I have opened since 1980 have had a warning as far as I can remember.
    Where do I get the lawyer protection?
    Hobart Stickmate LX AC/DC, Millermatic 252 & 30A spoolgun, Thermal Arc 185 TIG, Miller BWE
    Smith Oxy-Ac
    Bridgeport 2J , South Bend 42" 9A
    Husky 7.5 HP 22.3 CFM 80 gal compressor

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    Iuka Mississippi
    Posts
    423

    Re: Federal trial over

    Respiratory Protection is much more FOOL proof

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    East Meadow New York
    Posts
    1,934

    Re: Federal trial over

    Quote Originally Posted by hdwood View Post
    Manganism is the welders equivilant to Black Lung for miners. Not everyone will get it but there is a signifacant occupational hazard that could be drastically reduced if employers were required to provide fresh air supply to all welders. For more information http://www.manganese411.org/?src=googlead
    It is not the metals that get you. Not even Mercury or Lead. It is the oxygen they pick up. Almost all poisoning is oxygen or chlorine based. Some people that work with these raw metals for their entire life think that we are a bunch of pansies for fearing metals. When they know it is only the burnt or reacted material that kills you.

    If you were to sand down leaded paint for a while, you would have issues. But it is the oxygen that has attached itself to the lead that will get you. That is why radio active materials are so poisonous. Uranium can hold calmly and stably something like 16 or 18 oxygen atoms. Uranium nitrates formula used to be UO18 at one time.

    Sincerely,


    William McCormick

  12. #12
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Augusta, GA
    Posts
    207

    Re: Federal trial over

    Cavi cautum imprudentia ab veritas.
    TeddCo
    HTP Microcut 400 & Invertig 160DC
    Smith Dual Guard MD-510 OA Rig
    Lincoln SP135+
    Hobart Stickmate LX 235/160

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    southwest VA
    Posts
    644

    Re: Federal trial over

    Quote Originally Posted by Kim at WDF View Post
    He claimed that warning labels on containers of welding rods were not sufficient to protect him from the illness.
    Sheesh - everyone knows you're supposed to peel them off and stick them over your nose and mouth so you don't breathe in the fumes. How are they supposed to protect you if they're still stuck on the containers?!

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    4,347

    Re: Federal trial over

    It is not the metals that get you. Not even Mercury or Lead. It is the oxygen they pick up. Almost all poisoning is oxygen or chlorine based. Some people that work with these raw metals for their entire life think that we are a bunch of pansies for fearing metals. When they know it is only the burnt or reacted material that kills you.
    Citation needed. Post links to back that assertion up.

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Houston, Texas, USA
    Posts
    18

    Re: Federal trial over

    Quote Originally Posted by farmall View Post
    Citation needed. Post links to back that assertion up.
    +1 I'm interested in hearing/reading associated documentation also...

  16. #16
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Central California
    Posts
    3,752

    Re: Federal trial over

    Posted by William above:
    It is not the metals that get you. Not even Mercury or Lead. It is the oxygen they pick up. Almost all poisoning is oxygen or chlorine based. Some people that work with these raw metals for their entire life think that we are a bunch of pansies for fearing metals. When they know it is only the burnt or reacted material that kills you.

    If you were to sand down leaded paint for a while, you would have issues. But it is the oxygen that has attached itself to the lead that will get you. That is why radio active materials are so poisonous. Uranium can hold calmly and stably something like 16 or 18 oxygen atoms. Uranium nitrates formula used to be UO18 at one time.

    Sincerely,


    William McCormick

    William, you could make an easier fortune (easier than welding, that is) by writing comic books. There are soooo many people who would believe and enjoy what you write, because they have no scientific background, no common sense, no experience, and mostly...because they really love believing the most ridiculous, the most outlandish, the most unbelievable stories...keep it up, 'cause it's fun to have a laugh sometimes; even when here thinking about serious subjects, we all can use an occasional break.

  17. #17
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    San Dimas, CA
    Posts
    3,053

    Re: Federal trial over

    You guys realize that I banned Wacky Mac almost a month ago, right?

    Hence the large "Banned" avatar I gave him as well.

    No more unsubstantiated theories from Billy on this site.

    However....we will be having an annual event in his honor.

    We will be holding a raffle with great prizes like Tubes of Mercurochrome and Tin Foil Hats.

    That will be followed be a welding/boat jumping contest and last but definitely not least will be the ARC ray and Silent Beam light show.

    http://all-a-cart.com

    Welding Cart Kits and accessories

  18. #18
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    San Bernardino, Ca
    Posts
    296

    Re: Federal trial over

    Not to mention that Wacky Macs post was over two years ago, and the original post on this thread was over 4 years ago.
    Millermatic 251
    Spectrum 300 Plasma
    Everlast PowerTig 250EX
    Everlast PowerCool W300
    Harris / Victor OA
    Craftsman 13 Speed Drill Press
    ProTools Air/Hydraulic Bender
    48" Brake
    Compressor, Notchers, Grinders, etc.

  19. #19
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Central California
    Posts
    3,752

    Re: Federal trial over

    Posted by ZTFab:
    You guys realize that I banned Wacky Mac almost a month ago, right?
    I had forgotten, or missed that but think that William might still occasionally look at this site, if only to check on his past adversaries; anyway, that post was too good to not respond to, even if it was that old.
    Did you like my advice?

    Posted by Rugar:
    Not to mention that Wacky Macs post was over two years ago, and the original post on this thread was over 4 years ago.
    And you'll notice that I didn't revive it, but as I said above.....
    .....I couldn't resist......

  20. #20
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Victoria, BC
    Posts
    2,108

    Re: Federal trial over

    Damn, his stuff was funny!!! But dangerous too I suppose.
    Don't forget the arc staring contest.

    Quote Originally Posted by ZTFab View Post
    You guys realize that I banned Wacky Mac almost a month ago, right?

    Hence the large "Banned" avatar I gave him as well.

    No more unsubstantiated theories from Billy on this site.

    However....we will be having an annual event in his honor.

    We will be holding a raffle with great prizes like Tubes of Mercurochrome and Tin Foil Hats.

    That will be followed be a welding/boat jumping contest and last but definitely not least will be the ARC ray and Silent Beam light show.

    200amp Air Liquide MIG, Hypertherm Plasma, Harris torches, Optrel helmet, Makita angle grinders, Pre-China Delta chop saw and belt sander, Miller leathers, shop made jigs etc, North- welders backpack.

  21. #21
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Kenai, Alaska
    Posts
    619

    Re: Federal trial over

    Back to the original post's focus;

    The wood shop/carpenter trade guys just had a (vaguely) similar event where a court found that a guy who cut his hand/fingers on a table saw should have had 'saw stop' blade sensor on his saw.

    Not that the fool who was awarded the bucks was wrong-no! the folks who made the saw were "wrong" in the eyes of the court- for not licensing the SawStop technology for their saw.

    At question is the basic idea of personal responsibility being abandoned in favor of the tool maker has to use every possible means to make the tool safe- including buying patents from rivals if that patented device make the tool "safer".

    So the idea is the courts get to decide what can be made and in what design - so Dewalt needs to get a saw stop mechanism for the Unisaw?

    The trend toward making the tradesman into a [government protected] 'baby' who can't think or take responsibilities for his acts looks positive to a certain end of the political spectrum; but the costs to the overall workplace are going to be pretty high.

    In the case of welding fumes being toxic it seems like a little common sense got through, there, but in the case of the carpenter who cut himself after removing the safety cover over the table saw blade common sense seems to be thrown out the window.

    Like it was said above, tap water could be considered toxic, so does the SawStop case mean eventually we'll all be out of work because ALL the tools of the trade are potentially 'dangerous'?

    Without too much strain everyone can see that the number of injuries from grinders say- that are used millions of hours a year are few in percentage. But, by taking one or two cuts or grinder related injuries to a court now everyone has to have the silly guards on the wheels or get a fine from the government's agencies.

    We didn't have guards on the grinders in the 60's and 70's when I learned to use them and don't have, and didn't get, any injuries but that kind of common sense is not considered when these types of 'paid for being stupid' claims get in the courts.

    [sorry, I didn't notice the soapbox/ranting icon? or I'd have pasted it here]

    Cheers,
    Kevin Morin

  22. #22
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Central California
    Posts
    3,752

    Re: Federal trial over

    Kevin is correct; this is where common sense and general education of the public are very important. Someone on the jury who understands mechanical things and the need for personal responsibility can often be the one who explains these things to the rest, unless they are all so dumb and spoon fed by the government that they are unable to understand or accept it; then even jury nullification doesn't work well, at least in civil trials where only a majority is needed to decide.

  23. #23
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Randle WA
    Posts
    649

    Re: Sad News

    Today we mourn the passing of an old friend by the name of Common Sense.

    Common Sense lived a long life but died from heart failure at the brink of the millennium. No one really knows how old he was since his birth records were long ago lost in bureaucratic red tape.

    He selflessly devoted his life to service in schools, hospitals, homes, factories and offices, helping folks get jobs done without fanfare and foolishness.

    For decades, petty rules, silly laws and frivolous lawsuits held no power over Common Sense. He was credited with cultivating such valued lessons as to know when to come in out of the rain, the early bird gets the worm, and life isn't always fair.

    Common Sense lived by simple, sound financial policies (don't spend more than you earn), reliable parenting strategies (the adults are in charge, not the kids), and it's okay to come in second.

    A veteran of the Industrial Revolution, the Great Depression, and the Technological Revolution, Common Sense survived cultural and educational trends including feminism, body piercing, whole language and "new math."

    But his health declined when he became infected with the "If-it-only-helps-one-person-it's-worth-it" virus. In recent decades his waning strength proved no match for the ravages of overbearing federal regulation.

    He watched in pain as good people became ruled by self-seeking lawyers and enlightened auditors. His health rapidly deteriorated when schools endlessly implemented zero tolerance policies, reports of six-year-old boys charged with sexual harassment for kissing a classmate, a teen suspended for taking a swig of mouthwash after lunch, and a teacher fired for reprimanding an unruly student. It declined even further when schools had to get parental consent to administer aspirin to a student but cannot inform the parent when the female student is pregnant or wants an abortion.

    Finally, Common Sense lost his will to live as the Ten Commandments became contraband, churches became businesses, criminals received better treatment than victims, and federal judges stuck their noses in everything from Boy Scouts to professional sports.

    As the end neared, Common Sense drifted in and out of logic but was kept informed of developments, regarding questionable regulations for asbestos, low flow toilets, "smart" guns, the nurturing of Prohibition Laws and mandatory air bags.

    Finally when told that the homeowners association restricted exterior furniture only to that which enhanced property values, he breathed his last.

    Common Sense was preceded in death by his parents Truth and Trust; his wife, Discretion; his daughter, Responsibility; and his son, Reason. He is survived by three stepbrothers: Rights, Tolerance and Whiner.

    Not many attended his funeral because so few realized he was gone.
    Millermatic 200
    Hobart Handler 120
    Victor O/A & Ramco Bandsaw
    Lincoln 225 AC
    SnapOn AD Hood
    Miller XMT304/22A
    Hypertherm Powermax 1650 G3
    Lincoln Idealarc DC600 w/Extreme 12 VS
    Miller Digital Elite "Joker"

  24. #24
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Victoria, BC
    Posts
    2,108

    Re: Sad News

    I love it!!!! Pretty much sums up the new humanity. Argh.

    Quote Originally Posted by RaptorDuner View Post
    Today we mourn the passing of an old friend by the name of Common Sense.

    Common Sense lived a long life but died from heart failure at the brink of the millennium. No one really knows how old he was since his birth records were long ago lost in bureaucratic red tape.

    He selflessly devoted his life to service in schools, hospitals, homes, factories and offices, helping folks get jobs done without fanfare and foolishness.

    For decades, petty rules, silly laws and frivolous lawsuits held no power over Common Sense. He was credited with cultivating such valued lessons as to know when to come in out of the rain, the early bird gets the worm, and life isn't always fair.

    Common Sense lived by simple, sound financial policies (don't spend more than you earn), reliable parenting strategies (the adults are in charge, not the kids), and it's okay to come in second.

    A veteran of the Industrial Revolution, the Great Depression, and the Technological Revolution, Common Sense survived cultural and educational trends including feminism, body piercing, whole language and "new math."

    But his health declined when he became infected with the "If-it-only-helps-one-person-it's-worth-it" virus. In recent decades his waning strength proved no match for the ravages of overbearing federal regulation.

    He watched in pain as good people became ruled by self-seeking lawyers and enlightened auditors. His health rapidly deteriorated when schools endlessly implemented zero tolerance policies, reports of six-year-old boys charged with sexual harassment for kissing a classmate, a teen suspended for taking a swig of mouthwash after lunch, and a teacher fired for reprimanding an unruly student. It declined even further when schools had to get parental consent to administer aspirin to a student but cannot inform the parent when the female student is pregnant or wants an abortion.

    Finally, Common Sense lost his will to live as the Ten Commandments became contraband, churches became businesses, criminals received better treatment than victims, and federal judges stuck their noses in everything from Boy Scouts to professional sports.

    As the end neared, Common Sense drifted in and out of logic but was kept informed of developments, regarding questionable regulations for asbestos, low flow toilets, "smart" guns, the nurturing of Prohibition Laws and mandatory air bags.

    Finally when told that the homeowners association restricted exterior furniture only to that which enhanced property values, he breathed his last.

    Common Sense was preceded in death by his parents Truth and Trust; his wife, Discretion; his daughter, Responsibility; and his son, Reason. He is survived by three stepbrothers: Rights, Tolerance and Whiner.

    Not many attended his funeral because so few realized he was gone.
    200amp Air Liquide MIG, Hypertherm Plasma, Harris torches, Optrel helmet, Makita angle grinders, Pre-China Delta chop saw and belt sander, Miller leathers, shop made jigs etc, North- welders backpack.

  25. #25
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Olathe Kansas
    Posts
    667

    Re: Federal trial over

    I forgot how to change this.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
RSS | Home | Penton Media | Contact Us | Subscribe | For Advertisers | Terms of Use | Privacy Statement