RSS | Subscribe | Contact Us | Advertise | About Us
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Re: Federal trial over

Quote Originally Posted by LawsonWeldingLLC View Post
    That IS scary!

Get rid of the lawyers and were good! LOL
    YOU CAN'T TEACH COMMON SENSE!
    AEAD 200LE, Lincoln precision tig 185, Millermatic 251, Spectrum 625 extreme, Victor torch , Smithy 1220LTD. and Do all C-4 band saw , Always adding.

Some 20 or so years ago, the San Ysidro massacre at Mcdonalds occured. Originally I had heard that the weldor had levels of Zinc high enough to kill the average human. He had somehow built a tolerance to it.

This is from wikipedia; it contradicts the Zinc but still may be of interest to any weldor's here.

In 1986, Etna Huberty, James's widow, also tried (unsuccessfully) to sue McDonald's and Babcock and Wilcox, his longtime former employer, in an Ohio state court for $5 million. She claimed that the massacre was triggered by the combined mixture of eating too many of their chicken nuggets and working around highly poisonous metals. She alleged that monosodium glutamate in the food, combined with the high levels of lead and cadmium in his body, induced delusions and uncontrollable rage. An autopsy did reveal high levels of the metals,[5] most likely built up from fumes inhaled during 14 years of welding. Autopsy results also revealed there were no drugs or alcohol in his system at the time of the killings. Etna Huberty died in 2003.[4]

The chicken nugget part is not really funny at all.
    Last edited by Insaneride; 05-23-2012 at 10:39 AM. Reason: citation

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Morin View Post
    Back to the original post's focus;

The wood shop/carpenter trade guys just had a (vaguely) similar event where a court found that a guy who cut his hand/fingers on a table saw should have had 'saw stop' blade sensor on his saw.

Not that the fool who was awarded the bucks was wrong-no! the folks who made the saw were "wrong" in the eyes of the court- for not licensing the SawStop technology for their saw.

At question is the basic idea of personal responsibility being abandoned in favor of the tool maker has to use every possible means to make the tool safe- including buying patents from rivals if that patented device make the tool "safer".

So the idea is the courts get to decide what can be made and in what design - so Dewalt needs to get a saw stop mechanism for the Unisaw?

The trend toward making the tradesman into a [government protected] 'baby' who can't think or take responsibilities for his acts looks positive to a certain end of the political spectrum; but the costs to the overall workplace are going to be pretty high.

In the case of welding fumes being toxic it seems like a little common sense got through, there, but in the case of the carpenter who cut himself after removing the safety cover over the table saw blade common sense seems to be thrown out the window.

Like it was said above, tap water could be considered toxic, so does the SawStop case mean eventually we'll all be out of work because ALL the tools of the trade are potentially 'dangerous'?

Without too much strain everyone can see that the number of injuries from grinders say- that are used millions of hours a year are few in percentage. But, by taking one or two cuts or grinder related injuries to a court now everyone has to have the silly guards on the wheels or get a fine from the government's agencies.

We didn't have guards on the grinders in the 60's and 70's when I learned to use them and don't have, and didn't get, any injuries but that kind of common sense is not considered when these types of 'paid for being stupid' claims get in the courts.

[sorry, I didn't notice the soapbox/ranting icon? or I'd have pasted it here]

Cheers,
    Kevin Morin
    What we need is something similar to the SawStop technology which, before the legislators are allowed to enact laws, keep people from breaking them and hurting themselves or others. When that happens, then maybe the verdict in Kevin's story would also be reasonable.

It's good to reread some of this stuff---I like remembering William once in awhile.

I didnt realize this post was so old when I added my red cent in. If the moderator thinks my original reply should be removed then please do so. I didnt realize Huberty was an embalmer before he became a weldor when I first replied. Maybee he was already weird before the Zinc and cadmium fumes got to him. May the victims R.I.P.

I guess I **** take it back now

BTW in the Huberty autopsy; "no drugs or alchol" what does that tell you?

never mind