Do I Need High Frequency Unit so TIG aluminum
RSS | Subscribe | Contact Us | Advertise | About Us

Do I Need High Frequency Unit so TIG aluminum

Hello everyone. I need some information, I have AC/DC miller arc welding its just ordinary welding machine, have ac/dc connections in the bottom of machine, a rotating wheel for controlling amperage and power switch.

I want to convert it to TIG welding machine for aluminum weld, I know I can use it to weld in steel even without high frequency unit. My question is HOW ABOUT FOR ALUMINUM WELD? What do I need to buy in order to use it for aluminum. Do I need to buy they call it High Frequency Unit so I can able to weld in Aluminum or I need to buy something and what is it?. Pardon me I'm just new about in this welding field. Thanks all for help.

Re: Do I Need High Frequency Unit so TIG aluminum

yes you would need an HF box however you would still have no amperage control, IMHO you would be better off saving your money and buying a purpose built tig.

Ryan

thanks trouble007 for reply, I see a HF-251-2 High-Frequency of miller that can connect a foot pedal control, is the pedal control is use also to control amperage or its different? correct me if I'm wrong. Thanks again.

Unless you welding power source has provisions for remote amperage control, which from the sounds of it yours does not, then using the HF 251 will only give you high frequency and no remote amperage control. This can make welding aluminum very difficult. Your best bet is to buy an actual tig machine if you want to tig aluminum. If your not going to be welding a ton of really heavy stuff, millers diversion machines will do just fine and you'll spend about the same as what you would setting yourself up with the hf 251..

I see its better to buy a actual Tig welding machine for welding aluminum, better to do that. But for steel TIG welding I can use my welding arc machine without HF right? Because I already have a air cooled torch with valve gas control, argon tank and flowmeter and rod, I just need to connect the torch to the welding arc machine and I can weld tig for steel right? Thank You to all.

TIG welding aluminum

HI
    Buying a tig welder is a great but if you look around you may find a tig/ stick welder combo to do both and sell the older welder and recoup some of your money. The Miller is a good choice for just a tig and there are others like Eastwood 200. Just look and find what fits your needs and wants. Buy the biggest you can afford so as you grow you will have the extra power to grow into. You don't need to buy new just be sure of what you buy will fit you.

Tom

Thanks for advice.