Quick Disconnects For Argon
RSS | Subscribe | Contact Us | Advertise | About Us

Quick Disconnects For Argon

Hey All. I would like to have a quick disconnect at the end of the hose coming from my argon regulator that would attach to the end of my TIG torch hose. My question is can I use the same couplers that you use on air hose to attach air tools to? Thanks.

Re: Quick Disconnects For Argon

I don't see why not.
    That's what I would use.

100th POST! yea!
    "Great spirits have always encountered violent oppostion from mediocre minds." -- Albert Einstein

i talked to lws about the same thing they said it could be done and some have but you lose alot of gas to leakage
    350P 30A spool gun cut master 51 syncro 250 other stuff
    " take a dog off the street and make him prosper and he will not bite you sad the same cannot be said for man" i didnt use punctuation just to piss you off

I use Western disconnects on all of my inert gas applications.

Since I feed all my mig welders from a central source (Thermco Mixer) the quick disconnects are almost a necessity for me.

The true "gas quick disconnects" provide a much more "positive seal" than air hose connectors.
    Syncro 250 DX
    Dynasty 200 DX
    MM 251 w/30A SG
    XMT 304 w/714 Feeder & Optima Pulser
    HH187
    Dialarc 250 AC/DC
    Hypertherm PM 1250
    Smith, Harris, Victor O/A
    Smith and Thermco Gas Mixers
    Access to a full fab shop with CNC Plasma, Water Jet, etc.

If you use the correct quick disconnect fittings, you wont suffer any leaks.

I have them on my MIG setup and after turning the bottle off, it will keep pressure 'til i weld next. Never seen it leak down even afer a few days.

Will take pics and post only if your interested.
    Kemppi Pro Evolution 4200
    Kemppi 530 wire feed with MXE panel
    Cigweld TransTig 200 AC/DC
    Hypertherm PowerMax45
    CutSkill O/A setup
    Speedglas 9000x adflow
    Speedglas 9100xx
    2 Labs

All at home!

hell ya im interested pics and a source if ya got em i would love to put quick connects on my spool gun and tig hose since they use the same bottle would be much faster
    " take a dog off the street and make him prosper and he will not bite you sad the same cannot be said for man" i didnt use punctuation just to piss you off

We built argon and mixed gas headers for our welding school booths using automotive air chucks, and hung the individual regulators themselves from the QDs by replacing the inlet nipples (note they were on a LOW PRESSURE line of about 35 psi which is ample). Fed them from dewars (liquid argon) or cylinders as needed. Worked fine and is still in use.

Students sign out a TIG rig, plug it in, and weld. If they need purge, they sign out a second regulator. Survived student abuse just fine.

If air hose connectors leak, they aren't quality air hose connectors. I'd use pneumatic QDs without hesitation but not cheapo parts with cast nipples.

I'd just go to NAPA or other non-guano auto parts store, get appropriate brass hardware, and have at it.

If you want enhanced slickness, Western Enterprises has lots of cool brass welding gas fittings you can buy online (or print the page and take it to your LWS to order). You could go "argon fitting to National Pipe Thread" and use that adapter to mate your chuck to your regulator. Then you could mate your hoses to air chuck nipples and have a pretty no-cut install.

Cutting and splicing the argon hose with only air chuck parts and hose barbs would work equally well.
    Last edited by farmall; 05-29-2011 at 08:19 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by farmall View Post
    We built argon and mixed gas headers for our welding school booths using automotive air chucks, and hung the individual regulators themselves from the QDs (note they were on a LOW PRESSURE line of about 35 psi which is ample). Fed them from dewars (liquid argon) or cylinders as needed. Worked fine and is still in use.

Students would sign out a TIG rig, plug it in, and weld. If they needed purge, they'd sign out a second regulator. Survived student abuse just fine.

If air hose connectors leak, they aren't quality air hose connectors. I'd use pneumatic QDs without hesitation but not cheapo parts with cast nipples.
    It's different when a school(taxes) pays for the gas. They probably don't watch it close, just pay the bill. When it comes out of your own pocket, you will watch it close. any leakage cost money.
    Tim Beeker.

Here are a couple of pics for ya.

Sorry, i don't have a source as they were fitted standard to my Kemppi.

As SundownIII mentioned, they are a true gas fitting and not a comp. air fitting. He also mentions a source for you side of the pond.
    Attached Images Attached Images    
    Kemppi Pro Evolution 4200
    Kemppi 530 wire feed with MXE panel
    Cigweld TransTig 200 AC/DC
    Hypertherm PowerMax45
    CutSkill O/A setup
    Speedglas 9000x adflow
    Speedglas 9100xx
    2 Labs

All at home!

thanks found some on the net

I use standard Milton air fittings. I have had no leakage. I use a standard RUBBER, Goodyear air hose. And that hose is used for argon ONLY. Second pic is the pigtail on the back of my wire feeder.

Name:  Image5410.jpg
Views: 1103
Size:  66.0 KB

Name:  Image5412.jpg
Views: 1102
Size:  25.1 KB
    "Where's Stick man????????" - 7A749
    "SHHHHHH!! I sent him over to snag that MIC-4 while tbone wasn't looking!" - duaneb55
    "I have bought a few of Tbone's things unlike Stick-Man who helps himself" - TozziWelding
    "Stick-man"

I use std Milton's as well, but do get some leakage once the pressure is turned off. As long as they are under pressure, it looses very little if any.
    QamuIs Heg qaq law' lorvIs yInqaq puS

They probably don't watch it close, just pay the bill.
    I did the watching when I worked there, being responsible for maintenance. Cylinders/dewars were shut off at end of shift.

Thanks for all the leads and info everybody. I'm going to start out with air hose disconnects first to see what I can accomplish with the set up I am trying. If it works well , I'll upgrade to western.

I use good quality air hose fittings and havent had a problem. If you are using a ball regulator, it is easy to tell if there is a leak- if you arent welding and it indicates flow, you have a problem. At least this is true for a solenoid machine. Otherwise if your valve on the torch is off and you still have flow, you have a leak.

LarryO,
    The quick connectors on the Kemppi as standard are PCL mini series, they are also part of a system that will fit other makers mini connectors,
    Lincoln SP-170 Mig
    Hypertherm powermax 45
    Lorch T220 AC/DC Tig
    Butters FM 215 synergic Mig
    Kemppi 180 adaptive mig

RULES ARE FOR THE OBEDIENCE OF FOOLS AND THE
    GUIDANCE OF WISE MEN.