Gaskets on sa200.
RSS | Subscribe | Contact Us | Advertise | About Us

Gaskets on sa200.

How hard is it to change oil pan, front, and governor gaskets? Also front and rear seal?
    69 sa 200

Re: Gaskets on sa200.

Not hard to do but you probably have other things wrong than just leaks. If it's using more than or close to 2 quarts per day the main bearings on crank are shot and why the seals are leaking so bad !

Not really leaking that bad at all. Just a seep. I can run it all week and maybe use about an 1/8 of a quart. Just want to fix that stuff before painting
    69 sa 200

dg09us, I am in the process of doing the exact same thing with a short hood so I've been watching your thread to see what comes up.
    I have all my accessories (mag,gov, fan blade, pulleys, alt) off so that I could get to the front cover and change those gaskets as well as the oil pan.
    Then I will block off all the open holes before blasting and painting.
    I just have the cam gear and that bracket thingy behind it with the three bolts through it to take off so I can take the inner plate off and change that gasket too.
    Contemplating just skipping that gasket though because it looks like a pita.

If want to replace the main seals without dropping the crank you will need something like the Lisle Sneaky Pete tool.

http://www.lislecorp.com/divisions/p...s/?product=134

Great pics. I'm just wondering if it's cut and dry as far as replacing them. Meaning that I don't have to do anything special as far as the front crank or gov when I replace them. Retime? I heard about that tool and that I may need it thx for the info
    69 sa 200

It's turning out to be pretty cut and dried for me so far. The only stumbling block I have ran into is whether or not to pull the cam gear (larger gear on the left) so I can replace the gasket behind the inner plate. I'm waiting on an overhaul manual to see what that entails to see if it would be worth the trouble.
    To change the gaskets we are talking about you do not have to really do much with the crank.
    Just make sure that your gear teeth mesh into the original positions if you pull the cam gear (there are center punch marks on the teeth that mesh together) so timing will be preserved. You should only have to set your magneto to fire at that point.