Welders Being Hired
RSS | Subscribe | Contact Us | Advertise | About Us
    Coronado. CA across the bay from San Diego, CA

Welders Being Hired

Where the jobs are: even welding.

The San Diego Union Tribune reports on page F-1, June 5, 2001 that nearly 100% of welding school graduates are finding rapid job placement. While about 500,000 welders are currently working in the US, the typically welder is nearing retirement age. Welders, the paper reports, are retiring twice as fast as replacements are being trained.
    I offer three choices: Good, Fast, & Cheap. You may pick two.

Hobart AC/DC StikMate LX
    Harbor Freight AD Hood
    Harbor Freight Industrial Chop Saw
    DeVilbis 20 Gallon, 5 HP Compressor

Re: Welders Being Hired

That may be true, but these newly trained welders only know enough to make them dangerous!!! I have helped our local communuitee college subsitute teach their welding class a few times. Its scary to see the welds some of these kids are making. The problem with the welding schools is they teach you how to pass a test. Not real world welding skills. I have seen some fresh trained welders run off job sites the first day.

The biggest problem is most of the new welding jobs out there are paying $10-15 an hour. Typically the mig the same thing in a shop all day kind of work. The skilled welders that we are losing do the high $$$ work line pipeline and bridge work.
    Lincoln
    300 Vantage 2008
    300 Commander 1999
    SA250 1999
    SA200 1968

Miller
    Syncrowave 200
    XMT350MPA/S-52E/xr-15
    Xtreme 12vs
    Millermatic 251 w/30A
    Millermatic 251
    Dialarc 250

Hypertherm 1250
    GEKA & Bantom Ironwokers

I have visited one welding school in San Diego, I saw heavy arc welding being taught to prepare students for shipbuilding.

Hobart AC/DC StikMate LX
    Harbor Freight AD Hood

The thing with people fresh out of a welding school think they can weld. But put them in one of those hard to weld places ie 14 storeys up outside a structure and its a bit windy and not easy to get a good position to weld. Then it all falls apart for them. The best advice i was given was get as fat as possable then they cant stick you in small holes.

I spend a year in welding school in Orange County (night school) I'm the only one of my classmates that I know of that got a job. It took me months of hard work to find (made over 300 inquires, and send over a hundred resumes). Landed me a $10/hr job. I read the stats, and heard about the "welder shortage" but found things are rough out there. I think the only reason I got the job was that not many experienced welders would accept such low pay.

You're quoting a newspaper article that's 10 years old...you realize that things have changed since that was written, right?

We had a major economic event in 2008. Many of those 50+ year old welders(and other working adults) who were near retirement lost half the value of their retirement savings to the wall street and housing market crashes. Lots of those guys are lingering in the workforce because, as of 2 years ago, they could no longer afford to retire.

Couple the slowdown in the number of retiring workers with a reduction in the number of jobs overall, and there's no shortage of welders that I have seen; at least not nationwide. Might be local shortages but nation-wide unemployment is 9.1%. Un- and under employment is around 2x that, or 18%.

If there were a shortage of workers, then salaries for welders would be steadily rising, as employers compete for a limited supply of workers. As someone else mentioned, salaries are low for most groups of welders. Only the specialized, highly trained, and experienced welders can command a high rate of pay these days.

I'm not suggesting that being a welder is a bad career choice. Far from it. But rates of pay for newly trained welders aren't as high as they used to be just a few short years ago. Like all things related to the economy welder pay moves in cycles. We're at the bottom of the cycle now(I hope) and I hope we're going to be on the rise again soon.

just my $0.02...

Quote Originally Posted by nadogail View Post

The San Diego Union Tribune reports on page F-1, June 5, 2001 that nearly 100% of welding school graduates are finding rapid job placement. While about 500,000 welders are currently working in the US, the typically welder is nearing retirement age. Welders, the paper reports, are retiring twice as fast as replacements are being trained.
    Mobile Welding at your worksite or place of business. Serving Dayton, Ohio and the surrounding metro areas.
    AWS Certified Welding Inspector (#XXX10731) and Certified Welding Educator (#XXX1008E)
    www.bensonmobilewelding.com

Add to that. with the economy down a lot of these old welding/repair/machine shops have lots of assets that are declining in value (due to age, advancements in technology, relatively low price of scrap) while paying high taxes on property values assessed during the boom before the crash (property values don't tend to go down any when the local government can get more money out of them staying high).

To make matters worse, those of us who would like to go into business either opening a welding/repair/machine or manufacturing type shop, can't get money from banks because A) they're still cash-poor thanks to bad decisions made during the housing boom and B) in light of their bad decisions they will only make loans to the lowest of the low-hanging fruit.

In short, when a banker or insurance-type person tells you "I have the solution" or "trust me" you should sucker punch them.

My error, the article was published June 5, 2011. I regret my error in incorrectly typing the date. Please forgive my inattention to detail.

The San Diego Union Tribune reports on page F-1, June 5, 2011 that nearly 100% of welding school graduates are finding rapid job placement. While about 500,000 welders are currently working in the US, the typically welder is nearing retirement age. Welders, the paper reports, are retiring twice as fast as replacements are being trained.

Hobart AC/DC StikMate LX
    Harbor Freight AD Hood

My error, the article was published June 5, 2011. I regret my error in incorrectly typing the date. Please forgive my inattention to detail.
    Many of those articles are just advertisements. If all the trades were so high in demand many wouldn't be unemployed like they are now.
    I.B.E.W Electrician and Damn Proud of It !!!! .
    Virtus Junxit Mors Non Separabit
    http://www.shrinershospitalsforchildren.org/

I had a job lined up straight out of welding school. (2004)

Didn't think working at Nassco was a good idea, but they hired me as a pipe fitter, and gave me experience.

Too bad I killed my back there and filed a workers comp case.

Oh-well. Life goes on as a security guard now.
    If I can build it, I won't buy it.

There is definitely a shortage of welders in southeast Wisconsin. Everyone is busy and hiring. Our plant doubled in size this year and we can't find enough skilled people.

The average starting wage for a fitter/welder in this area has risen $3-4 dollars an hour in the last two years.
    Yup

Quote Originally Posted by Burnit View Post
    There is definitely a shortage of welders in southeast Wisconsin. Everyone is busy and hiring. Our plant doubled in size this year and we can't find enough skilled people.

The average starting wage for a fitter/welder in this area has risen $3-4 dollars an hour in the last two years.
    If I can land a job out there, I would pack my family and go yesterday.

Please give me details. San Diego is dry!

If all the trades were so high in demand many wouldn't be unemployed like they are now.
    Most unemployed workers can't convert to the skills in demand and most people can not learn all-position welding due to aptitude and especially eyesight issues. There are few welding schools
    so it's not like there are a flood of grads who can pass 6G pipe.

Also, some workers are trapped because they bought a house. The really mobile skilled workforce is not large.

Most of the jobs here require 5 years exp.. I dont understand how youre supposed to gain experience if you cant get hired LOL..

Quote Originally Posted by justinT View Post
    Most of the jobs here require 5 years exp.. I dont understand how youre supposed to gain experience if you cant get hired LOL..
    Thats everywhere.

Need a job but have no experience.
    Go to school and get training?
    Need a job to pay for school.
    No experience...cant find a job to pay for school because of no experience.

I should have joined the Military!

Look into Pell Grants for school.

Tons of welders....

There is however, a shortage of bad *** welders.....
    1981 Lincoln SA 200
    Miller Trailblazer 302g
    Miller 211 Mig Welder w/ Autoset
    I'm learning to stick metal together

Does anyone know if you have to be ASE certified to weld exhaust at a muffler shop? I have this interview tomorrow with some muffler shop but I'm not a certified mechanic so I don't think they'll let me weld. Just curious.

I'm in welding school too and am having a hard time finding entry level jobs. this muffler shop is the only welding related job that's called me since I started going to school.

sometimes you have to start out at the bottom to make it to the top. find a place that will hire you as a welder and go from there

Quote Originally Posted by wearetheromans85 View Post
    Does anyone know if you have to be ASE certified to weld exhaust at a muffler shop? I have this interview tomorrow with some muffler shop but I'm not a certified mechanic so I don't think they'll let me weld. Just curious.
    I doubt you even need to know how to weld. Every time I look at welds done by exhaust shops I cringe. I'm not talking about one shop either. I've probably seen the exhaust from half a dozen different shops and they all look like they were done by an inverted pigeon with bad aim.
    My name's not Jim....

Syncrowave 200
    Millermatic 251 w/bottle mod
    Spoolmatic 30A
    Cutmaster 81
    Jet JTM-1 mill
    Jet GH-1340-W3 lathe
    Ellis 1600

Quote Originally Posted by boostinjdm View Post
    i doubt you even need to know how to weld. Every time i look at welds done by exhaust shops i cringe. I'm not talking about one shop either. I've probably seen the exhaust from half a dozen different shops and they all look like they were done by an inverted pigeon with bad aim.
    ahahahahahahahahahahaaa
    I forgot how to change this.

Quote Originally Posted by Boostinjdm View Post
    I doubt you even need to know how to weld. Every time I look at welds done by exhaust shops I cringe. I'm not talking about one shop either. I've probably seen the exhaust from half a dozen different shops and they all look like they were done by an inverted pigeon with bad aim.
    That was good...

So true..
    Miller XMT-350
    2 Lincoln Power Mig 140C (One w/ dedicated spoolgun)
    Jackson NexGen / Miller Digital Elite
    Miller S32P Super
    Weldcraft 17fv & 9fv Tig Torch
    Victor & Purox O/A
    Lincoln Ranger 9
    Fairly Cold Beer!!