lincoln question
RSS | Subscribe | Contact Us | Advertise | About Us
    john pen Guest

lincoln question

I have a chance to buy, what I would consider to be an industrial Lincoln mig welder. The "power head" is prob. 2 ft wide by 3 ft deep by 3 foot tall. The gun and spool are remote with 50ft cable between. Ill have a model number on Monday. The only prob. is that the seller states that its 3 phase ( I havent looked myself to confirm..he bought it and never used it). Is it possable that the unit could be wired 220 without 3 phase or would it be strictly 3 phase ? Ive seen motors that could be wired either way...

Heh if it's Lincoln its gotta be good. that ought to get a rise in the board here!!!! lol
    There's a method to the madness, disregard the method and the madness begins!!

Dammit BIG I only own 5 Lincolns that are runnin, and 3 more parts machines.
    Anybody want to buy a pipeliner?

That sounds like a suitcase wire feeder, and the answer to will it run on single phase is Maybee, and that's definite!
    Appreciation Gains You Recognition-

Well as the above seems to have forgotten!!!! U can always get a phase converter!!!!!!

in market for pipeliner parts......

BM ya gotta wiat till the white crap melts here, or come with a shovel & hawk torch.

shovel?????? what the hell is that ....will wait

hi ya doing over there Franz, were getting the freezing rain and snow here tonite, jsut got back from the shop, towed in a FRT from the Ottawa area, roads are slick.

Cleaned and reorganized the office here, check it out.

Liked the info on the blasting, I got stuck blasting this morning, the back of a Coca Cola trailer, then got stuck painting the back portion, guys don t like to work weekends.

I saved the info from that site, as I am pretty sure they are ones that make our blaster, the larger one of the models, and I have been having problems with it.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

john pen Guest
    Ok, Its a Lincoln Idealarc CV 300 with a LN 7 spool remote. The label on the front says 3~ 208 \230 \ 450...so again the question, do we think it can be rewired for 2 phase and what do we think a used unit like this is worth ?

john pen Guest
    Sorry, I meant rewired for single phase.....

Here's the wiring diagram for the CV 300,
    http://content.lincolnelectric.com/p...r/im/im500.pdf

The input is Wye connected, so in THEORY, all 3 inputs could be paralelled and fed with single phase.
    What that would do th input current is an interesting question.
    Since the balance of the machine is driven from the secondary side of the transformers, the machine should function.
    An easier and possibly better way to power the machine would be using a rotary converter or phase faker.
    Either of these methods would derate the capacity of the machine as well as duty cycle.

BIG, last I looked we were having some wind, and some light snow falling.
    Do those Hackney bodys have rollers in the sliding doors, or does the door just run in a track?
    That office is too damn clean!

naw that would be just your standard 53 footer. regular roll up rear door. All steel construction on the rear. Damage due to drivers hitting the docks hard etc. Simple stuff, cut out and weld in. Sandblast prime and paint.

I used to repair alot of the water trucks for crystal springs. Manufacturer out of Ohio I think. Aluminum body box with the rollup door along the sides of the box. Lots of overhead welding inside the frame rails and wheel wells, real mess, as they foam in the underside of box four inches thick, all that out first then grind then weld in support rails etc. Paid well but crap work. We got all the repair pieces from the body builder, it was all on a skid, left it in the yard, someone stole it, so had something like 30 more trucks to do, boss was cheap, did not want anyone know the stuff got stolen, so I had to make all the pieces, it got easier after the first ten trucks lol by the time I got to the last truck I could do them with my eyes closed lol

Speaking of weather, the wife on the net looking for where we are going to seasonal camp this year already!!!

Big, this site will give the wife good weather info, long as youre coming South for vacation;
    http://www.crh.noaa.gov/radar/latest.../si.kbuf.shtml
    By June, you'll be able to ride Da Maya's aluminum ferry boat down from Toronto, assuming you guys don't hijack it for your Navy.
    Actually, would you do us a favor and hijack the damn thing?

Those water bodys were probably Hackney, with the 6" slats that slide up into the roof. I never get a chance to get a good look at one to see if they use rollers like an OHD or just sliders in track. Those damn drivers are very paranoid.

john pen Guest
    thanks for the info...any idea what that welder is worth used ?

Franz the ones that I have worked on use a roller much like the overhead rollup doors, the roller is a little smaller in diameter. the slats are either 4 or 6 inch wide and aluminum. The cargo falls up against the doors when the truck is moving, and then causes the doors to bulge out. Your right crazy drivers. Spent many many days aligning these doors and welding in right angle strips to stiffen them up.

Used to weld with a lincoln without the spool gun, thats when I took the plunge and bought the spool gun, got tired of birdnesting etc, would never recomend to weld aluminum with anything less than spool gun now. Made my life so much easier. I did a patch on a floor this morning with the spool gun, 2.0 hours in and out. Cut out with the plasma nice and clean, use that piece as a template to cut the new patch and a way we go.
    theres another shot of the shop.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

John, there is going to be some parameters for the value of that machine,,, but,,,, what it would be worth to you may be a different matter. For a factory or shop that had 3ph and it was going to be plug and play it would have more value. Personally I think you are asking for a headache since you are going to have to jury rig a power supply. Sometimes a bargain isnt a bargain if the secondary cost or effort adds up. I am not current but I assume it is a xformer monster, would take 100A input, guys get these things and they are not generally a good idea just due to the weight and power requirements. I say save some greif and buy a new 250A feeder that runs on single and be done with it.

That girl's definitely a transformer machine, and was built for an industrial production environment.
    Acquizition cost will definitely govern weather it's worth bringing home.

john pen Guest
    After talking to some local folks re: 3 phase Im gonna pass...Its the pits, 'cause every time I find a deal on either a mill or a welder it seems to always be 3 phase...He's asking $600. for it

Yup, for the cost of it all you can have a new MM210 or 251,, hahahahaha,, Pontiac had a single phase monster, wonder if he sold it before he moved? And the thing needed 100A service. I have a 300 synchro and its not a problem. I have the power to run it and the equipment to handle it as well as a need. I wouldnt medd with making power to run one if I didn have to, phase converers and all,, lot of work and money and you still have this big old monster. Buy a new smaller modern feeder that runs on 50A serv. They have a 3 yr warranty, you know it works, plug and weld.

Quit pickin on Big Old Monsters S or I'll swing by with my hydraulic bolt cutter and savage the handles on yer Hiab.
    Us er I mean them old monsters built the world you younguns are doin well in.
    I still have 2 runnin P&H machines.

I think that guy's gonna sit on that machine for a long time at $600- There was one just went across ePay with a suitcase for $200 between John and me. Unless you know the machine, or can test drive it, value just isn't there.

I agree the big ole monsters work well and we,,, er I mean you can use them and I have one or 2 also. Like you said,, the Bobcat or the SA200. The 200 is fine if you dont mind haulin it around and you gonna be weldin all day but the 200 is more practical for sure and AC power is cool. The big Xformer would be tit in a fab shop but the avg guy would find a 210 that runs on 30A service just as usable and a hell of a lot more convenient,,, not to mention it dont weigh 900 lbs.