First run of my new Lincoln Square Wave 200 AC/DC Tig
RSS | Subscribe | Contact Us | Advertise | About Us

First run of my new Lincoln Square Wave 200 AC/DC Tig

I received my new Lincoln Electric Square Wave 200 AC/DC tig welder a couple of days ago, and I just finally got around to getting it out of the box and quickly set up for a test run. I have been looking for a tig welder for a while now and just haven't found anything in my price range with the amperage and options that I wanted. I was very close to ordering an HTP Invertig 221 when I seen the teaser ad for the LE square wave tig and decided to hold off until the specifications were listed and I had a chance to compare the two. Obviously I went with the LE (I would've liked the extra 20 amps of output but not for nearly double the cost).
    Name:  LE sw tig 200.jpg
Views: 4325
Size:  48.6 KBName:  AC alum bead.jpg
Views: 4313
Size:  36.9 KB
    Miller XMT 350
    Lincoln Electric Invertec 350i Advanced Process
    12VS Wire Feeder
    Hypertherm Powermax 45 Plasma Cutter
    Oxy-Propylene torch
    Smith DG229 Torch

Re: First run of my new Lincoln Square Wave 200 AC/DC Tig

Congrats on the new gear. Nice weld bead too. Ive used both inverter and transformer based TIG welders, and though I prefer the inverter based machines, I never really felt the transformer machine was not good enough while I was welding. I am sure you will be very happy with this welder, and the extra cash in your pocket.

Gar
    Lincoln Electric, Power MIG 256
    Hypertherm Powermax 45
    Miller Dynasty 280DX
    Smith O/A torch

Genesis of a welding table

Thanks Gar,
    I started out welding on a old transformer Miller 330 tig that was on casters and was still so heavy it would take two people to move it around, however, that old machine is still in service today too. I really like how the inverters weld, especially the tig welders, they really dial that arc control in so it's so much more stable. And again, for the cost and portability, its hard not to like the inverter machines. I just hope this square wave 200 is still around and working 30 years from now like the old Miller 330.
    Miller XMT 350
    12VS Wire Feeder
    Oxy-Propylene torch
    Smith DG229 Torch

Nice looking machine. You should dab about twice as often as you are but then you will need way more amps because dabbing more often will cool the puddle down and try to fill the crater best you can. Light taper off while oscillating and maybe a extra dab.

Quote Originally Posted by motolife313 View Post
    Nice looking machine. You should dab about twice as often as you are but then you will need way more amps because dabbing more often will cool the puddle down and try to fill the crater best you can. Light taper off while oscillating and maybe a extra dab.
    Agreed, looks either to cold and or too much or too large a filler rod. You want to tighten up your spacing. What do you have your AC balance set at? And your Htz setting if that machine has an adjustable Frequency. Are you using a pointed tungsten and not a balled one?

Sent from mobile. Not responsible for Typos
    Tiger Sales: AHP Distributor www.tigersalesco.com
    AHP200x; AHP 160ST; MM350P, Spoolmatic 30A; Everlast PowerTig 185; ESAB 875 plasma;Evo 355. OA

Glad to hear you are happy, I ordered one last week it should be here in a 4 weeks.
    Dave Reber
    Wadsworth Ohio

Thanks Reebs,
    I think you'll be happy with your purchase, the hardest part is anticipating the arrival.
    Miller XMT 350
    12VS Wire Feeder
    Oxy-Propylene torch
    Smith DG229 Torch

Thanks for the advice, motolife313. I'll try to do better on the next one.
    Miller XMT 350
    12VS Wire Feeder
    Oxy-Propylene torch
    Smith DG229 Torch

Thanks for the advice soutthpaw,
    I did run that pass a little on the cold side and the aluminum pieces were cold as well (ambient temperature in an cold shop). The Square Wave 200 does have adjustable balance and frequency and they were set at the default setting from the factory, I didn't change anything. Just plugged in the cord, attached the argon, sharpened a supplied tungsten and made a quick weld pass.
    I used the supplied tungsten, which looks like an E3 alloy(purple stripe) 3/32" diameter and a 3/32" 5356 alloy filler. From what I have experienced, the only tungsten to "ball" in AC is a pure tungsten alloy (green stripe) which isn't recommended for use with inverter machines. All other tungsten are typically sharpened with a small flat ground on the tip. I have seen the flat tip slightly round on high amp AC and even seen a "spike" on 2% thoriated tungsten. This has only been my experience and I can certainly (and frequently) be wrong. Of course all of this is relative to amperage and electrode diameter so I'm basing this on a 3/32" diameter tungsten at 90-135 amps AC.
    I'll try to do better on the ripple spacing on the next pass.
    Miller XMT 350
    12VS Wire Feeder
    Oxy-Propylene torch
    Smith DG229 Torch

Double post somehow-sorry, I don't know how to delete it

Thanks for the advice soutthpaw,
    I did run that pass a little on the cold side and the aluminum pieces were cold as well (ambient temperature in an cold shop). The Square Wave 200 does have adjustable balance and frequency and they were set at the default setting from the factory, I didn't change anything. Just plugged in the cord, attached the argon, sharpened a supplied tungsten and made a quick weld pass.
    I used the supplied tungsten, which looks like an E3 alloy(purple stripe) 3/32" diameter and a 3/32" 5356 alloy filler. From what I have experienced, the only tungsten to "ball" in AC is a pure tungsten alloy (green stripe) which isn't recommended for use with inverter machines. All other tungsten are typically sharpened with a small flat ground on the tip. I have seen the flat tip slightly round on high amp AC and even seen a "spike" on 2% thoriated tungsten. This has only been my experience and I can certainly (and frequently) be wrong. Of course all of this is relative to amperage and electrode diameter so I'm basing this on a 3/32" diameter tungsten at 90-135 amps AC.
    I'll try to do better on the ripple spacing on the next pass.
    Last edited by BlueSteel; 01-02-2016 at 01:41 PM. Reason: Double post
    Miller XMT 350
    12VS Wire Feeder
    Oxy-Propylene torch
    Smith DG229 Torch

Subscribed.
    Planning to purchase a SW 200 next month

ed

Quote Originally Posted by outsider347 View Post
    Subscribed.
    Planning to purchase a SW 200 next month

ed
    Get your name on a list somewere as there are some 1,000 units on back order.
    HF 95136 Plasma Cutter
    2015 AHP 200X

www.georgesplasmacuttershop.com

Tec.Mo. Wholesale Distributor and Dealer
    Consumables for the PT and IPT torch's.

Quick question about your machine. Does it have lift arc and HF start or only HF start? I'm definitely interested, wouldn't be a deal breaker but would love to have both if possible. I've been researching this machine since I saw it on YouTube but there's not a lot of info out there in the form of live demos and such.
    I'm glad that you were able to get your machine delivered and get to make some welds.

Quote Originally Posted by billy2076 View Post
    Quick question about your machine. Does it have lift arc and HF start or only HF start? I'm definitely interested, wouldn't be a deal breaker but would love to have both if possible. I've been researching this machine since I saw it on YouTube but there's not a lot of info out there in the form of live demos and such.
    I'm glad that you were able to get your machine delivered and get to make some welds.
    Hey billy2076,
    It has HF start. There may be a menu where the HF could be turned off, but to be honest, between work and some sort of seasonal crud I've been fighting, I haven't switched the machine back on since I made the weld I posted here. If I get a chance in the next couple days, I will get over to the shop and see for sure. I don't know what type of tig work you intend to do or what your needs are, but I feel like it would be hard to find a better AC/DC machine like this for the price.
    Miller XMT 350
    12VS Wire Feeder
    Oxy-Propylene torch
    Smith DG229 Torch

Thanks for the reply. With regards to the the lift arc feature more than anything I want to see how versatile this machine is. Yes, it's a great machine for the money and I think that the HF is a an awesome feature to have. But as some welders have said, there may be a time that HF is not an option especially if you don't want to fry any sensitive circuit boards in a car or computer equipment. None the jess, I think that I will definitely will try to get one for myself. They are definitely worth the investment.

I just bought one of these. I have had training in oxy-acetylene welding in Aviation Maintenance School and have use a stick welder some but this is my first foray into GTAW. I had initially ordered an Eastwood TIG 200 for $700 but after waiting a couple days with no notification, I checked the site and saw it was backordered. Really? It's 2017. D'ya think ya coulda I dunno, maybe have sent me an email? They said "In Stock" when I ordered. I called and after 20 minutes of listening to holiday music and marketing crap, I hung up. I then sent an email requesting cancellation and proceeded to look for another option. After looking at a Hobart EasyTig for $1329, I discovered Lincoln was offering 10% off of the list price of $1399 for more features and capability with the SW200. Neither the Hobart or the Eastwood had stick capability without spending more $ and I can really see that being useful around the house. I like the fact the LE has current-based automatic post-flow adjustment and the frequency adjustment and pulse which are features not on the other models I considered. The Hobart was 230V only, a big negative. The LE warranty was better. Plus, you can't beat ordering direct from the manufacturer. The Hobart deal was through a third party and I would have had to pay shipping. I got the LE shipping to a local distributor for free where I have to go to get gas anyway. Miller wasn't even on my radar because of price, although I did buy one of their #8-12 adjustable auto masks for 72.99. Hope it works...
    I can see myself eventually doing General Aviation jobs with the SW200 based on videos I have seen of it in action.
    I can't wait to get started practicing with it!
    Last edited by Finkelroy; 01-05-2017 at 11:08 PM.

San Antonio Valley Peoples Republic of California

I've had mine for about 6 months. No hitches , no glitches. Does everything I ask it to and does it very well. It is a kick *** stick machine too. It runs 7018 as smoothly or better than most machines I've run in the last 50 years or so.
    One issue some have had is the length of the post flow. I don't find it to be a problem. Personally I don't care for the synthetic torch jacket. It will melt in a nano-second. Leather would have been much more preferred. I also found the ground lead a bit short but that's an easy fix. I give it a 9 out of 10 for the price range.
    So many projects, so little time,,,