Lincoln ac225s Amperage req'd
RSS | Subscribe | Contact Us | Advertise | About Us

Lincoln ac225s Amperage req'd

Will this work ok with a dryer circuit? 40A breaker I think. I will be using an extension...12AWG ok? for approx 25 ft?

Does the amp draw depend on how much I push it?

Thanks
    Last edited by martik777; 06-21-2011 at 08:23 AM.

Coronado. CA across the bay from San Diego, CA

Re: Lincoln ac225s Amperage req'd

1. Yes, if you dont push it much. 50 Amp circuit is better. 12 Guage is too light for that long a distance. 10 is much better. I use an 8 guage cord from a 50 amp circuit.

2 Yes

Enjoy it in good health
    I offer three choices: Good, Fast, & Cheap. You may pick two.

Hobart AC/DC StikMate LX
    Harbor Freight AD Hood
    Harbor Freight Industrial Chop Saw
    DeVilbis 20 Gallon, 5 HP Compressor

I've used one on a 30 amp dryer circuit. You'll learn real quick how high you can set it when you have to keep resetting the breaker. It's been so many years now I forget how many amps it was, but at the time I had a sheet on the machine that listed the max it seemed to run at and not trip as well as my usual rod and heat settings.

No government ever voluntarily reduces itself in size. Government programs, once launched, never disappear. Actually, a government bureau is the nearest thing to eternal life we'll ever see on this earth!

Ronald Reagan

Thanks, I found out it maxs out at approx 60 AMPS!

Quote Originally Posted by martik777 View Post
    Thanks, I found out it maxs out at approx 60 AMPS!
    I think you are mistaken. A lincoln AC-225 does not pull 60 amps. While Lincoln recommends a 50 amp breaker they will not pull 50 amps even at wide open - more like 43 or 44 amps at wide open but there is a spike surge above this level at first arc strike which is why they recommend a 50 amp breaker.

As per manaul you can go out to 90' run from the service panel on 10 awg wire and be plenty sufficient. It is also possible to use an oversized 50 amp breaker on the 10 awg wire since the welder has a low duty cycle and it is even NEC code compliant in most cases, but the receptacle is ONLY SUITABLE AS A WELDER ONLY CIRCUIT AND MUST BE CLEARLY MARKED ACCORDINGLY - NOTHING ELSE CAN BE PLUGGED INTO THAT CIRCUIT since 10 awg wire is only rated for 30 amps under continuous loads (again this welder has a low duty cycle so not a continuous load which is why it is permitted).

It is easily possible to run this welder at settings up to around 130 or 140 amps or so by sharing a normal 30 amp dryer circuit without issue as long as you do not stick a rod. Many house renters have done it for years without issue. Most welding is done under 130-140 amps so you are good to accomplish most common welding projects. DO NOT oversize the breaker though and then plug your cothes dryer back into the receptacle with an oversized breaker when sharing a circuit like this or you risk a bad fire.

You have to get into a Lincoln Idealarc 250 or Lincoln Idealarc 300 before you start pulling 60 or 70 amps of input power and an Idealarc is a totally different class of machine than a Lincoln AC-225 buzzbox. I suggest you enter your welder serial codes on the Lincoln site and download the proper manual for verification on the input power requirements - instead of taking my word for it. Also use the search feature - this topic has been covered many times.
    Last edited by rankrank1; 06-21-2011 at 10:04 PM.

OK, thanks, good info, I saw the amp usage here: http://www.lincolnelectric.com/asset...K1170/e230.pdf

you think this machine will run at 130 amps output off of a 30 amp input breaker? the reason i ask is because this is the size 220 breaker on my generator. hijack over

Quote Originally Posted by martik777 View Post
    OK, thanks, good info, I saw the amp usage here: http://www.lincolnelectric.com/asset...K1170/e230.pdf
    I suggest you consult an electrician for all your electrical needs as this link even clearly shows a 50 Amp rated input for the AC-225. The only numeral 60 listed is for 60 hertz and that is the frequency of the input power. Electricity is not to be taken lightly, if you do not understand all aspects, then hiring a professional is money well spent as it just might save your life.

Quote Originally Posted by HOBART View Post
    you think this machine will run at 130 amps output off of a 30 amp input breaker? the reason i ask is because this is the size 220 breaker on my generator. hijack over
    What KW gen set? Someone a few years back did a post on running theirs off a medium sized gen set. They could run really small rods, but it didn't have the juice to run 3/32" at all. If your gen set puts out 6500 watts continuous you might have a chance, but any thing smaller is pointless. In reallity the machine needs at least an 8kw cont gen set or better yet a 10kw or bigger one to run well.

No government ever voluntarily reduces itself in size. Government programs, once launched, never disappear. Actually, a government bureau is the nearest thing to eternal life we'll ever see on this earth!

Ronald Reagan

Quote Originally Posted by HOBART View Post
    Well to be quick and dirty:
    At Wide open 225 amp welder setting you will pull less than 50 amps even after accounting for surge spikes for intial arc strikes.

So at reduced 50% capacity equivalent to 112.5 welder setting if you actually had that exact setting on that welder then you would pull less than 25 amps even after accounting for surge spikes of intial arc strikes.

I will let you figure it out from there - but powering welders from generator power can be tricky so I will refrain from commenting any further as the actual quality of the generator supply power does come into play. If you generator supplies clean quality power at 60 hertz then yes.

Quote Originally Posted by rankrank1 View Post
    Well to be quick and dirty:
    So at reduced 50% capacity equivalent to 112.5 welder setting if you actually had that exact setting on that welder then you would pull less than 25 amps even after accounting for surge spikes of intial arc strikes.
    Unfortunately transformer machine input requirements are not linear. That means your example doesn't work. Based on your math I could run my old AC machine on my 5kw gen set at 20 amps input, and it just doesn't work. There's not enought juice to strike an arc even on the lowest settings. To run at 110 amps or so you'll draw more than 1/2 the rated amps on input. 130 or 140 on 30 amps seems a bit high to me. I was thinking it was closer to 90-100 amps or so from memory.

Ronald Reagan

never thought of it like that. thanks rankrank1